advertisement

Thread: Shallow injection?

Default Shallow injection?

Just curious what may occur if Humalog is injected on too much of an angle?
    Linda, Mom to:

Caroline: 8yrs dx 8/11, Pinging, DexG4
    DS: 12yrs
    DS: 16yrs

Probably nothing. But if you are worried just check their bg a few hours after eating and see if their bg is higher than you would normally think it should be.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Humalog and Levemir)

Thanks Christopher. Caroline's off at school and I'm second guessing myself.
    Linda, Mom to:

Quote Originally Posted by BittysMom View Post
    Thanks Christopher. Caroline's off at school and I'm second guessing myself.
    It should probably be fine. It will most likely get absorbed even if it was not a direct angle.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Humalog and Levemir)

Honestly, I think we are fooling ourselves if we think there's consistency in the way we give shots or inject from a pump site. There's always going to be some variability, especially since rotating is important. It's going to matter more in kids with bigger sensitivities to variation, but it's just one of those "it is what it is" things, I think, we just try to be as consistent as we can and it's all right if it's not "perfect".

I only really worry about injecting into muscle, I used to think this meant a fast absorption but I've heard it actually means an inconsistent absorption -- you might see too fast, too slow, too fast and then too slow or too slow and then too fast. That's no fun. Oh, and I try to use the toosh for Lantus for consistency's sake.

But you're not going to get something wildly off-throwing from the needle being a little angled, or the skin more or less pinched (assuming no muscle in the pinch), or etc., in my opinion. I'm guessing you're good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa P. View Post
    Honestly, I think we are fooling ourselves if we think there's consistency in the way we give shots or inject from a pump site. There's always going to be some variability, especially since rotating is important. It's going to matter more in kids with bigger sensitivities to variation, but it's just one of those "it is what it is" things, I think, we just try to be as consistent as we can and it's all right if it's not "perfect".

I only really worry about injecting into muscle, I used to think this meant a fast absorption but I've heard it actually means an inconsistent absorption -- you might see too fast, too slow, too fast and then too slow or too slow and then too fast. That's no fun. Oh, and I try to use the toosh for Lantus for consistency's sake.

But you're not going to get something wildly off-throwing from the needle being a little angled, or the skin more or less pinched (assuming no muscle in the pinch), or etc., in my opinion. I'm guessing you're good!
    I know my technique has "evolved" a bit since diagnosis. Sometimes I just over-think it Is there any way of knowing if you hit muscle? I've only done Caroline's arms and bottom so far- we do Lantus in her bottom. I'd like to move on to her thighs to give her arms a rest but I worry about the muscle.

Well Caroline's school nurse didn't call about her lunch check, so I know she was in range either way Thanks.
    Linda, Mom to:

An interesting thigh note, we used the side of the thigh, a la saddle bags, and then our endo noted that in toddlers the fat was in the front, not the sides (like, um, mine). Don't know if your daughter carries what fat she may have there or not, but it's something to note.

I don't know about hitting muscle, I think it hurts when it's clear, but I don't think it's always clear. I don't know but think some of our pump absorption issues might have been muscle related, and there was no sign except inconsistent effectiveness of the insulin (which might have many causes).

I'm not sure there's much you can do but your best, and then notice how different spots and "techniques" trend and adjust accordingly for your specific kid.

Glad she's covered! Hope she has a fantastic day.

Thanks Lisa. I'm laughing about your thigh fat comment because that's part of my issue. I feel like doing it where *I* have fat (saddle bags!), but Caroline is totally different. I think a little chub-inspection is in order.
    Linda, Mom to:

Quote Originally Posted by BittysMom View Post
    Thanks Lisa. I'm laughing about your thigh fat comment because that's part of my issue. I feel like doing it where *I* have fat (saddle bags!), but Caroline is totally different. I think a little chub-inspection is in order.

When I get into one of my "if it could be me instead" kicks that is one aspect of it -- no shortage of injections sites on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa P. View Post

When I get into one of my "if it could be me instead" kicks that is one aspect of it -- no shortage of injections sites on me!!
    haha oh my gosh. I thought of this when my DD was diagnosed several years ago! She's older now and it's easier to find a spot...but on a long, lean three year old? Bum, arms, and tops of thighs only. Very little tummy fat, and we've only recently started to use the back.
    LIBBY homeschooling mama to:
    Ella age 11 Dx T1 at 30 months (2/9/04). Hypothyroidism 4 years. Asthma 6 years. Evan's Syndrome 7 years. Celiac 10 years
    Pumping with purple minimed since 9/07
    Caleb age 8
    Nick, age 6 ADHD, SPD, PTSD and mood disorder NOS (probable bipolar disorder)
    Lydia, age 5 SPD
    Adam, age 3 Allergic to everything
    Linnea-Claire, age 22 months