advertisement

Thread: friends of diabetics

Cool friends of diabetics

hi i'm Abbie. i got diagnosed with diabetes a month ago, and i just found this site today- it is AWESOME! i was wondering: for those of you who are friends of diabetics, how did you feel when they were diagnosed? and how did you learn to deal with it? i was just thinkin about it because i think my friend is having a hard time dealing with me being diabetic, so i wanted to see how others dealt with it

Hi there! I'm really glad your found these forums. I'm sorry you have to be here, though.

Our daughter had some issues with her closest friend. It was a big adjustment and it took a toll on the friendship for a while. On the other hand, another good friend became even closer after diagnosis and that was really nice for her. Hope things get better and better for you!
    mom to Molly, 22, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Pumping with T:slim 11/14
    Dave, 26, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

My daughter has stayed friends with her non-D friends, but her Type 1 friends are the ones who truly hear her high and low emotions...because they get it. The others care, but they aren't living it.

When I was diagnosed, I was the only type 1 child in my town. It was that way until I was in high school, so I didn't know any other type 1 kids. My best friend didn't look at me as a diabetic, I was me. But then she only knew me as a diabetic. She knew I had diabetes and knew if I acted "goofy" or "funny" to give me candy and if necessary call my parents.
    Juvenile Onset Diabetic since September 17, 1965
    Injects humulin N & R three times a day