advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution for our dexcom adhesive allergy!

Default Solution for our dexcom adhesive allergy!

After seven days we pulled his sensor on his arm and his skin looks beautiful!

We've been dealing with his adhesive allergy for a few months now and I think we've found a solution. We put a spray barrier down (Silesse, made by Trio Healthcare products) that was made of 100% silicone before putting the dexcom sensor on. It's a product that's made for ostomy appliances. I tried to not spray where the needle was going to be inserted, but I'm not sure if I avoided that part or not. I also used their Niltac (adhesive remover) to remove the sensor - it just fell off after a few minutes of spraying it. His skin looks so good, I sure hope that it continues.

Just a little plug for the company: I e-mailed them, told them our problem and asked for samples. I got a quick reply back and the samples were in the mail the next day!

I'll have to go through a few more sensors to know for sure the problem is truly resolved, but for now I'm very hopeful!
    ~Sara~
    Mom to 5 boys (11, 9, 6, 4, 2)
    Owen - dob July 2009 (dx 9/13/10 at 13 months)
    Animas Ping 11/12/10, Apidra
    DEXCOM 12/9/10

Wow that is great I will have to try that! How long did he wear the sensor?

What was the name of the company you got this from? Was it a supply company?
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

We pulled it after seven days. This one we just put on we will try to leave longer.
    I got them straight from the company, Trio Healthcare. If you go to www.Silesse.com I think you'll find a link to contact them. Now I need to see if we can get a prescription and have our insurance cover them. Because I got samples, I have no idea how much they will cost.
    ~Sara~
    DEXCOM 12/9/10

This is something new - not sure I've heard of anyone trying it.

I hope it works for others who are having a problem with adhesives. I'm curious for more reports back.

The "underbandage" worked for us on the Navigator but I always like to hear of good solutions like this in case we need it.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

We used iv3000 as an under bandage and it worked pretty well for him. If this didn't work we were going to go back to it. The main problem with the iv3000 for us was it peeling up.

I'll try to remember to give a report after we pull this current sensor a week or so.
    ~Sara~
    DEXCOM 12/9/10

Thanks so much for posting this! I have contacted the company to see if I can get a few samples. I hope this will be the answer to my infusion set allergy.
    ~Erin
    Type 1 (12/22/03)
    T:slim and Dexcom G4
    Celiac (4/11/13)

I'm currently looking for a new remover, Unisolve is good, but not great.
    I didn't realize they are a UK co, which means a hefty shipping cost
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

I will follow this thread to see if it continues to work. We still are having good luck using the Johnson and Johnson tough pad under her sensor. She was allergic to all other underbandages. We did try some barrier wipes and they didn't work.

The hard part of the tough pad is taking it off. It is a bear after wearing it for 2 weeks at a time.

Thanks for posting this!
    Susan
    mom to:
    DD-dx 2/21/08 Pumping Animas PING, Dexcom 7 plus

To the OP we don't have a problem with the adhesive but I have a suggestion for not spraying the part where the sensor is inserted. What if you put a small round band-aid where you want the sensor to be inserted and spray over that? Unless there's an allergy there as well. Then you can mark the perimeter of the band-aid with, say a pen, with 4 dots then peel the band-aid off and there would be a perfect, round spot where the sensor can go. You could use just about anything really like poke holes in the sticky portion of a post-it note with a hole punch or just use scissors to make a template of the part you want no spray.

Just a thought.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    To the OP we don't have a problem with the adhesive but I have a suggestion for not spraying the part where the sensor is inserted. What if you put a small round band-aid where you want the sensor to be inserted and spray over that? Unless there's an allergy there as well. Then you can mark the perimeter of the band-aid with, say a pen, with 4 dots then peel the band-aid off and there would be a perfect, round spot where the sensor can go. You could use just about anything really like poke holes in the sticky portion of a post-it note with a hole punch or just use scissors to make a template of the part you want no spray.

Just a thought.
    Great suggestion! I just used a folded up alcohol pad to try to protect that spot. I think I'll use this method. Thanks.
    ~Sara~
    DEXCOM 12/9/10