advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can pass/fail gym class be part of a 504?

Default Can pass/fail gym class be part of a 504?

Gregory is in 7th grade. His lowest average is gym. He got a 90 in gym, but it is weighted as heavily as the core subjects and brought his overall quarter average down one full point. Does anyone have pass/fail gym in a 504 plan? Thanks, Allison
    Allison, married to my best friend, Andy! Proud mother to 6 amazing kids!
    Gregory, age 14, T1D diagnosed 9/1/06.
    Patrick, age 13. Jasmine, age 11. Brendan, age 11. Marissa, age 9. Sean, age 8.

what seems to be the correlation between the lower grade and diabetes - just curious?
    Nicky, mom to Cooper (9yrs - dx'd 11-06, Guardian Real Time CGM 4-07, Omnipod 8-07 ), Tucker (8yrs) & Teagan (5yrs)

The 504 is about the accomidation taken to assist in being successful in the class. The grade assigned A-F or P/F is irrelelvant. If the plan is not being followed visit with the teacher, they may not be aware of the plan or realize the needs of your child are not being met.
    Many PE teachers grade on attendance/ participation. If you child misses a class they may be required to make it up. Some PE teachers still give exams over basic skills, rules etc. I would call or email the teacher to get an explanation of the grade to see what the reason for the grade is then decide if it is a 504 issue.
    Kaylee 5, DXD 3/2009, Pumping MInimed, Novolog
    Juliann 2 Non D, Allergic to everything

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    The 504 is about the accomidation taken to assist in being successful in the class. The grade assigned A-F or P/F is irrelelvant. If the plan is not being followed visit with the teacher, they may not be aware of the plan or realize the needs of your child are not being met.
    Many PE teachers grade on attendance/ participation. If you child misses a class they may be required to make it up. Some PE teachers still give exams over basic skills, rules etc. I would call or email the teacher to get an explanation of the grade to see what the reason for the grade is then decide if it is a 504 issue.
    This. You can also request that the time of day be moved to accommodate tricky blood sugar times, but you cannot change how a class is graded.
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

It sounds like you are trying to use his diabetes as a excuse to help him out in a class where he isn't doing as well as you would like.

Most don't provide a lot of detail on these forums, so my perception may be incorrect.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

The gym teacher is aware, but he will only help Gregory if the school nurse says he has to. For example, we asked if he could keep a bag of diabetes supplies (just juice and smarties) in his office so Gregory would have access to them and in case he was low and could not remember his locker combo (due to a low) during class. The answer was no. We asked the teacher to carry a meter and smarties when they go outside. The track and fields are quite a distance from the nurse's office. The answer was no, Gregory is supposed to carry his own stuff. It is difficult to play football with your meter falling out of your pocket. He does not take any role in Gregory's management. I hope he would call the nurse and not just send Gregory to the nurse if he was low.
    I did not ask for judgement in my original post, so if you are here to be nasty, or judge. Please don't respond. Thanks, Allison
    Allison, married to my best friend, Andy! Proud mother to 6 amazing kids!
    Gregory, age 14, T1D diagnosed 9/1/06.
    Patrick, age 13. Jasmine, age 11. Brendan, age 11. Marissa, age 9. Sean, age 8.

Quote Originally Posted by 4MyBoys View Post
    Gregory is in 7th grade. His lowest average is gym. He got a 90 in gym, but it is weighted as heavily as the core subjects and brought his overall quarter average down one full point. Does anyone have pass/fail gym in a 504 plan? Thanks, Allison
    The gym teacher is aware, but he will only help Gregory if the school nurse says he has to. For example, we asked if he could keep a bag of diabetes supplies (just juice and smarties) in his office so Gregory would have access to them and in case he was low and could not remember his locker combo (due to a low) during class. The answer was no. We asked the teacher to carry a meter and smarties when they go outside. The track and fields are quite a distance from the nurse's office. The answer was no, Gregory is supposed to carry his own stuff. It is difficult to play football with your meter falling out of your pocket. He does not take any role in Gregory's management. I hope he would call the nurse and not just send Gregory to the nurse if he was low.
    I did not ask for judgement in my original post, so if you are here to be nasty, or judge. Please don't respond. Thanks, Allison
    Please read your first post. NOTHING about diabetes, ALL about grades. I was going to post what I hoped would be a helpful comment but given that last paragraph I think I'll pass.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Sounds like the teacher doesn't "get" it. Could he wear a spibelt or something with his supplies? Then maybe leave it on the sidelines while playing so it's near enough if he needs it?

Is it possible to speak with the nurse, and have her talk to him?
    Mom to Madison (18)
    dxd 8/5/09
    Omnipod pump using Novalog 4/10
    Dexcom 3/13

Allison, your son certainly has the right to have staff members assist him in his diabetes management by doing these simple things that youve requested. The teachers seems like a real hard a$$ to me and Im concerned that something might happen to your son while he's in class if this teacher is so unwilling to do anything to assist your son. I would talk to the 504 coordinator about this and the endo or CDE and the school nurse should know so that she can speak to this teacher and educate him about type 1 diabetes. Maybe he's one of those people who dont realize that there is a difference between type 1 and 2
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

To me this sounds like it is more about the gym teacher assisting your son than it is about grades. The gym teacher is denying your son access to things that he needs to manage his diabetes in school. I would focus on that and not the grades.

They gym teacher does not have the option of saying no when your child needs accommodations. If the nurse cannot make that clear to him then I would speak to the Principal and have the Principal speak directly to the gym teacher.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 16 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)