advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuffing a Turkey

Sorry if my earlier post seemed harsh...long day, sick child, but my feelings remain the same...just could have been a bit more diplomatic.

We've been blessed with grandparents who try very hard at family dinners to make sure it is as gf as possible. Thanksgiving was tricky because of the fav stuffing, but they have discovered that it doesn't have to be IN the bird to taste good. I personally don't get the stuffing thing, but I guess I grew up on Stove Top. Gravy is made with corn starch, and most of the rest is naturally gf.

I usually take over desserts..at least the ones I know my children will want.

Sorry for the additional holiday stress. Hope you get it worked out!
    God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!
    Carol

Homeschooling mom to
    A dx. Hashi's 9/08, Celiac 10/08 and
    N dx. T1D 10/05, Celiac 6/08, pumped with Animas from 1/06-7/13, currently MDI (unexpected side effect of Diabetes Camp )

Quote Originally Posted by jcanolson View Post
    Sorry if my earlier post seemed harsh...long day, sick child, but my feelings remain the same...just could have been a bit more diplomatic.

We've been blessed with grandparents who try very hard at family dinners to make sure it is as gf as possible. Thanksgiving was tricky because of the fav stuffing, but they have discovered that it doesn't have to be IN the bird to taste good. I personally don't get the stuffing thing, but I guess I grew up on Stove Top. Gravy is made with corn starch, and most of the rest is naturally gf.

I usually take over desserts..at least the ones I know my children will want.

Sorry for the additional holiday stress. Hope you get it worked out!
    Oh no not harsh at all. I actually have some of the same frustration with my family. They won't try at all! There have been times despite many conversations where we showed up with a gluten free dessert and there was not one other thing my son could eat. Numerous times he had to leave and eat at a restaurant and come back for the family event. Now that does make me angry. He won't eat there anymore and I don't blame him.

Caldercup, thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe. That's exactly what I was hoping to find. I love my gluten free bisquick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tina
    Proud mom to Jordan (18), dxd March 2008
    Pumping Apidra with a blue Animas PING-Dexcom Gen4 (previously Dexcom and Dexcom 7 Plus)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Just saw a gf pumpkin roll recipe. We haven't tried it yet, but planning to soon..
    http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/200...pkin-roll.html

or this...
    http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/pumpkin-crack-cake/

Make him up something FABULOUS!!
    Carol

Homeschooling mom to
    N dx. T1D 10/05, Celiac 6/08, pumped with Animas from 1/06-7/13, currently MDI (unexpected side effect of Diabetes Camp )

Last year for thanksgiving, we did gluten free pie crusts made with the Jules Gluten Free flour. At Christmas, we did cheesecake for dessert, and made the crust with cinnamon chex. Both were very good.

You might check in your area...where my parents live in Reno, there is a local gf bakery/cafe and they have premade piecrusts for sale. We might try that this year, because even though we loved the Jules pie crusts we made....it is a lot of work! I like to patronize the businesses that have gluten free items, and it will make our holiday a little less stressful.

btw-the Bakery is called "Haven on Earth" and it is in Reno/Sparks NV area. If you are ever in the area...try it. They have great bread, cookies, donuts & such. Also sell sandwiches/pizza.

Kim
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 15, dx'd type 1 age 3. MM 722...pump break 9/13, lantus/novolog, back on pump 10/13
    dx'd celiac 6/09

Quote Originally Posted by kim5798 View Post
    Last year for thanksgiving, we did gluten free pie crusts made with the Jules Gluten Free flour. At Christmas, we did cheesecake for dessert, and made the crust with cinnamon chex. Both were very good.

Kim
    Cinnamon Chex for a cheesecake crust....I must try this!!!
    Carol

Homeschooling mom to

Quote Originally Posted by kim5798 View Post

You might check in your area...where my parents live in Reno, there is a local gf bakery/cafe and they have premade piecrusts for sale. We might try that this year, because even though we loved the Jules pie crusts we made....it is a lot of work! I like to patronize the businesses that have gluten free items, and it will make our holiday a little less stressful.

btw-the Bakery is called "Haven on Earth" and it is in Reno/Sparks NV area. If you are ever in the area...try it. They have great bread, cookies, donuts & such. Also sell sandwiches/pizza.

Kim
    Great ideas. Thanks for letting me know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tina
    Proud mom to Jordan (18), dxd March 2008
    Pumping Apidra with a blue Animas PING-Dexcom Gen4 (previously Dexcom and Dexcom 7 Plus)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

I love Jules!

I make Martha Stewart's pate brisee for my crusts and just substitute (weight-for-weight) with Jules. So, if a recipe calls for a cup of flour, I measure 125 grams of Jules flour and it usually works out great.
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 18 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09

Quote Originally Posted by Caldercup View Post
    I love Jules!
    We do too!
    We recently made bread with the bread mix that she sells....in the past, we have made it with the flour & her recipes...but this last one we did with her mix & the yeast that comes with it...it was the most beautiful loaf we have ever made with her flour!
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 15, dx'd type 1 age 3. MM 722...pump break 9/13, lantus/novolog, back on pump 10/13
    dx'd celiac 6/09