advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want to start pumping but scared!

Default want to start pumping but scared!

I really want to get my almost 3 year old on the onetouch ping soon. He does well from the shots, but because he is so little he doesnt really need high doses of insulin, so a pump would be able to do the smaller doses. BUT... after reading a lot of these posts from most people that use pumps, i realize I know NOTHING about using them. SOme of these posts are like jibberish to me. Im guessing you go through some training before using a pump right? We have our next appointment in January and thats when we are going to discuss getting him on it. PLEASE tell me its easier than what it sounds like on here!! lol.
    Also.... anyone here on the onetouch ping- is it a good choice?
    Aidan - 5 non D
    Lucas 2- DX sept 27,2011. Starting pumping Jan 6 2011 using GREEN PING
    Lexie - born sept 22,2011, non D

I remember when I first started looking at pumps - it was pretty overwhelming. But if you're accustomed to doing Lantus/Log and understand the basal/bolus thing, then pumping isn't a big leap from there. Yes, you'll get trained before you're set loose with it. :-) It took about 20 minutes after dd's pump start to know deep down that this was absolutely the best, most life-changing thing we could have done. And you always have the awesome people on this board to come to with questions!

If you'd like to do some reading that will help make it all clear, I'd recommend Pumping Insulin. It's a great resource as you try to figure things out.

As for the Ping, I know people love it (we use MM, so I don't have firsthand experience with the Animas). All of the pumps are good, and they all do the same thing. I'm sure a local Animas rep would be happy to let you get your hands on a pump to just push the buttons and see what you think.
    JoAnn
    DD #1 - 16 y.o., non-D
    DD#2 - 12 y.o., dx'd 12/24/2007; pumping since 4/2008, using MM 523 Revel since 4/13/2010; CGMSing since 8/2008; using Enlite sensors with 523 pump since 1/1/2014.

I feel the same way when I read the pumpers post....they sound like scientific geniuses LOL...But I"m sure they were all blank slates in the beginning too...or so I hope...because its something Daniel wants to do and I"m excited but scared too about learning..

Shirley
    Downey, CA
    DS Daniel 11, DX 7/11/11 age 10
    MDI Novolog and Levimir
    DD Amanda 7 Non-D
    DH Vince

Matt just started on Friday with the MM. I figure all of them are somewhat similar. His pump has a "wizard" feature that makes it quite easy. His tester communicates with the pump. Here is how it goes:
    1) He tests his blood sugar.
    2) He hits the wizard button his pump.
    3) The blood sugar # appears on the spring. He accepts it by hitting "ok."
    4) It asks him if he is eating, and he inputs the carbs.
    5) From there, it does the heavy thinking. It figures out what his bolus should be..........and it does it with insulin-on-board in mind.
    6) You see the suggestion and either accept it or alter it. It is very easy to alter it.

From what I see, the learning curve is:
    1) Attaching the pump is a bit tricky at first.
    2) Figuring out the basal rate is a bit tricky at first. However, I am sure that you were through that with the long lasting insulin. Actually, we never left that stage, as we never found a # of units that we were happy with. We are very optimistic that the pump will allow us to find a pattern that will work a higher percentage of the time.
    3) There are advanced features like a square bolus or a temp basal that you totally don't have to worry about at first.

If you are used to MDI, the only learning curve that might be overwhelming at first (in my opinion) is attaching the pump. Other than that, I find that the pump is very easy to use. Like you do already, the whole system requires tweaking, but it isn't like that will come as a surprise to you.

Five days in, and Matthew seems much happier.
    -------------

father of Matt, age 11, diagnosed November of 2009,

11/09-10/11: MDI humulog, Levemir nightly

10/11-present: MM 523

I think that's very normal! We went to the pre-pump class over the summer and I was overwhelmed and almost decided to forget it! But I continued to research and I think that it really will be so great for my son. We are moving forward with the Animas Ping. Their website has some great info. I also contacted them when I was leaning toward it and got a lot of info from the rep. She even met with us and let my son check out the pump, see what it felt like to be attached, etc. It made us all much more comfortable. Still nervous about the change, but learning as I go!

Default My son started pumping at 3 1/2

My son started pumping a year ago at 3 1/2. It is something you won't regret.

There is a learning curve - but think about it. How much did you know before diagnosis to now? You attend (ump training, get support from ENDOS and the web sites sponsored by the pump maker have tutorials and visual demonstrations of just about everything. I even found how to do site changes on u-tube.

Like anything else - it takes practice.

Our last A1C was 7.0 (last two 7.6,7.1) and it has given us so much freedom.

Lot of people use the ping and it is great. We use the minimed revel so that I could add the CGM (continuous blood glucose monitor) whenever I wanted. It is the only pump that has integrated CGM. That is what the difference here.

Jump in and you won't regret.
    Kelly

Mom to Parker (6) d/x 11/09 MM Revel pump with mios; DexG4 (2/2013)

Mom to Marley (10) non-d

Wife to Dan (43) d/x 1978 MM Revel with quick sets

My son started pumping with the Ping when he was a little over 2 years old. We love the Ping and we love pumping! We went to a prepump class that went over the basics of pumping. This class also went into how pumps are different than MDI. There was definitely an adjustment period. I did not become a pumping genius overnight It took me 6 months before I even started to adjust anything on William's pump without assistance. To me, the beauty of a pump, is a mistake can be fixed rapidly.

Good luck!
    Andi

Mom to :
    William, 5 YO, DXD at 13 months
    Samantha 8 YO - nonD
    Pumping with Blue Animas Ping since 9/30/2010
    Also using Dexcom G4

We're just fixing to start pumping, but I know just want you mean. When I first found these forums, I felt like an idiot every time I read a thread. But eventually, I started to understand more about correction ratios, and adjusting your bolus and basils. Now, sometimes I still have to step back and make sure I understand something, but it's getting easier.
    Lisa, Mom to:
    Cooper, 14, 11-7-1997
    Alexander, 12, 12-15-1999
    Sophia, 9, 10-8-2002. Diagnosed T1 on December 5th, 2010.
    Humalog and Levimer-12-5-10 through 11-14-11
    Pumping with One-touch Animas PING11-14-11 through present day

We're just fixing to start pumping, but I know just want you mean. When I first found these forums, I felt like an idiot every time I read a thread. But eventually, I started to understand more about correction ratios, and adjusting your bolus and basils. Now, sometimes I still have to step back and make sure I understand something, but it's getting easier.

We found a ton of videos on Youtube that showed us how to do site changes, and read the manual at least a dozen times, plusing watching our DVD. While I know that I'm still going to have questions, I know we can do this.
    Lisa, Mom to:
    Cooper, 14, 11-7-1997
    Alexander, 12, 12-15-1999
    Sophia, 9, 10-8-2002. Diagnosed T1 on December 5th, 2010.
    Humalog and Levimer-12-5-10 through 11-14-11
    Pumping with One-touch Animas PING11-14-11 through present day

I felt the same way - I didn't understand most of what people were saying, and it seemed so complicated with all the strange terms and acronyms flying around in posts.

But it's not complicated at all once you get one. My son chose the omnipod and that thing is stupid easy to use! And once we had it, it put all those strange terms into context and they immediately started to make sense.

Don't worry, the wizard's not nearly as intimidating once you peek behind the curtain
    Jane, Lucky mom to:
    Bobby (14) T1 dx 9/10, Omnipod (7/11)
    Nick (11) non-D, Autism

"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill