advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY son asked me a question that brought me to tears..

Default MY son asked me a question that brought me to tears..

On the way to school this morning, my son asked me a question. As soon as the words left his mouth I was in tears..I tryed to stop but I could not help it..i know that I should not have cryed in front of him, but I did pull myself together quickly. He asked, mom what does it feel like to not have diabetes? after I pulled myself together, I said It just feels like you do when you don't feel low or high..I don't even know if that was an okay answer. That is the only thing that I could think of at that time..so today was one of those suck days, when you wanna say damn I hate diabetes.On the up side it was a good day of b.g's. Thanks for letting me vent ughhh
    part of our step out team~team Just For Love~

Katrina
    wife to a wonderful husband.
    Mom to 3 amazing beautiful boys
    Blake 8 yrs (T1 DX 2-12-08) pumping with a blue animas ping for 2 yrs) Just started the dexcom 7- July-15-11..
    Curtis 7 yrs
    Kaleb 2 yrs

This brought tears to my eyes too. Hadlee was dx'd at 20 months, so she can't remember not being diabetic. I can just hear her asking me this in the future. All the crap they have to go thru...it's just not fair
    Sending you ((((hugs))))
    Mom to:
    Aris (8-12-03) non-d
    Layne (5-4-05) non-d

Hadlee (10-30-07) dx'd T1 6-09 Pumping w/ Animas Ping 4-12-11 Dexcom 9-15-11
    Wife to:
    Adam dx'd T1 1996

Its almost as hard to remember the days without the disease.. Daniel goes back to those "younger" days without the disease...no worries, no shots....he says life was better and easier...That too brings tears to my eyes...either way its a tough road to travel....I'm just grateful something exists to keep our children alive and healthy...and I remind him of the long life ahead of happiness that lies in front of him..

Shirley
    Downey, CA
    DS Daniel 11, DX 7/11/11 age 10
    MDI Novolog and Levimir
    DD Amanda 7 Non-D
    DH Vince

4. Default

Wish there was a bear hug icon! Sorry, that had to really catch your heart. I think your answer was fine. Nikaela has asked me lots of questions about what it was like when I had gestational diabetes (I had it with both girls and was borderline with my son.) She knows that it increases my chances of developing diabetes, and she confided once, hoping she didn't sound too horrible for it, that she wished I would become diabetic so that it would at least be something we could share. As much as these comments evoke tears and tug on our heart strings, it feels like they're just really trying to process through their feelings about having diabetes in a good way.

Oh, and the tears - I know we don't want to be basket cases in front of our kids, or make them feel like they should feel sad about being diabetic, but tears are a real part of life and symbolize real emotions that sometimes we just don't have words for. Last year when I went back to work, my fifth graders had so many questions about why I was gone, worries about things they heard whispered in the hall by other teachers, and missed having their regular teacher. When we talked about what happened with dd I was open and honest, and yes, had a few tears run down my cheek.

You know what, so did some of my students, just briefly when they shared that they were afraid I'd never come back, or when another shared that she overheard a teacher say my daughter might die (Niko's acidosis from DKA was, they told us, the worst they'd seen on diagnosis, and they told us the first 12 hours were critical in terms of her coming out of the coma, or not...) As parents, and as teachers, we have a good barometer for what's appropriate and when to turn things around, gently. Being open enough to shed a tear or two actually reassured my students then. It sounds like you did just that with your son today. If anything, your tears spoke volumes of your love for him.
    Kirsten

Mom to 3 incredible kids:
    dd Dx 2/28/11

MM Revel 723 3/27/2012

A sad moment. A good answer.
    Susan
    Mom to
    Hannah born 11/9/2004; diagnosed 10/24/2008
    Sam, non-D, born 6/9/1999
    Wife to Glenn

I think your answer was fine, and cried when I read your son's question too. It is unfair.

Sharon (mom to Kathy)
    dx 8/1/05 (8 yrs old) now 15
    MDI, Lantus and Novolog

I think you answered it the best way you can.
    Lisa, Mom to:
    Cooper, 14, 11-7-1997
    Alexander, 12, 12-15-1999
    Sophia, 9, 10-8-2002. Diagnosed T1 on December 5th, 2010.
    Humalog and Levimer-12-5-10 through 11-14-11
    Pumping with One-touch Animas PING11-14-11 through present day

Thank you all.. I do love the support here from people who understand..

Katrina
    Blake 8 yrs (T1 DX 2-12-08) pumping with a blue animas ping for 2 yrs) Just started the dexcom 7- July-15-11..
    Curtis 7 yrs
    Kaleb 2 yrs

Thinking about you! I'd fall apart too Hope you have a great rest of the day

...Melissa...

Husband (of 12 yrs)...Staff Sergeant in USAF 934th Airlift Wing

Daughter (10) Madeline...loves to read & play music (trumpet)

Son (8) Maxim...was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on 08/14/2011...Insulin 4 to 8x's daily (Humalog) & Lantus (Bedtime). Loves Science & Math

Daughter (5) Chloe...LOVES dress up, barbies, singing & dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by MyTMax08 View Post
    Thinking about you! I'd fall apart too Hope you have a great rest of the day
    Thank you..

Katrina
    Curtis 7 yrs
    Kaleb 2 yrs