advertisement

Thread: Grants

Default Grants

Hi,

someone told me that there were grants and funding etc for kids with diabetes but didnt know if it was true or not and if it is where can i find them. my dd was just diagnosed with type 1 last week and so this is all new to me and trying to research as much as possible thanks.

There is a T2201 that you need to file. Just go to the Revenue Canada website to find it. It's called a Disability Tax Credit. Depending on your income, you may be eligible for a monthly cheque and a tax deduction each year. Taking insulin is a "life sustaining therapy".
    Vanessa
    Mom to Emily, 8 - dx'd July 30/10
    Pumping with Veo - November 15/10

There is also the Registered Disability Savings Plan. You can deposit up to $1500 per year and the government will give you grants based on how much you deposit. There are restrictions re how long you must leave the money in to get to keep the government grant, etc.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/rdsp.shtml

Just a reminder to all....the Disabiltiy Certificate mentioned above by PP is only good for 5 years after which we need to reapply. We are just coming up to our 5 year mark and have to wait until next endo appt. to have forms filled out and all that fun stuff.
    Helen, mom of active 18 year old
    Feb 2014 switched to Animas Vibe with integrated DEX, Inset II
    2008-2014 MM722 and Mio's

Thanks Helen, I didn't know about that one! I am always surprised when I learn about things here that were not included in our "package" after diagnosis.
    Vanessa
    Mom to Emily, 8 - dx'd July 30/10
    Pumping with Veo - November 15/10

hey guys,

thanks i forgot that i posted this and i will defiantly look into this ..