advertisement
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trick or Treat

Sorry about your child's diagnosis.

We continued to trick or treat after diagnosis. Any candy that she wanted to eat we would just add it with her meal and add in the carbs.

This was given to us by our endocrinologist's office. Maybe it will help you.

Halloween Candy (fun sizes) carb amounts

Air Heads=15
    Almond Joy=12
    Baby Ruth=17
    Bazooka Pop=11
    Bit-O-Honey=6
    Bottle Caps=7
    Bubble Yum=6
    Butterfinger=15
    Charleston Chew=9
    Charm Pop=5
    Dots=20
    Fruit Rollup=9
    Gobstopper=8
    Goldfish Crackers=9
    Green Apple Caramel sucker=17
    Gummi Savers=14
    Hershey's marshmallow pumpkin=20
    Hershey's milk chocolate=10
    Hershey's nugget=5
    Hot tamales=18
    Joe Blo bubble gum=4
    Jolly rancher lollipop=16
    juicy fruits=9
    kitkat=10
    laffy taffy=7
    M&M (peanut)=13
    M&M (plain)=15
    Mega warheads (soft-gum filled)=11
    Mega warheads (sour candies)=3
    mike & ike=18
    milk duds=7
    milky way=14
    Mounds=11
    Necco wafers=13
    Nerds=9
    Nestle crunch=7
    Nutrageous=9
    Nut roll=10
    100 grand=10
    oreos=9
    reeses bites=8
    reese's peanut butter cup=10
    reece's sticks=9
    Rice crispy treat=9
    runts=14
    scooby doo fruit snack=10
    shock tarts=11
    skittles=17
    smarties=8
    snicker=12
    sour punch twist=7
    sprees=7
    starburts (2 pieces)=8
    sugar babies=24
    3 musketeer=13
    tootsie roll bar=12
    tootsie roll pop=16
    twix=10
    twizzler=6
    whoppers=15
    zours=12
    candy corn (10 pieces)=13
    Hershey's assorted minatures=5
    M&M mini box=10
    Milky way minature=6
    3 musketeer minature=4
    reese's miniture cup=4
    tootsie roll midgee=6
    Chris mom to 15 year old Type 1 daughter DX 3/23/10 pumping animas ping

Quote Originally Posted by lgouldin View Post
    Candy is always nice to give away

But, I guess you could be know as the Glow Stick house. You would be one up on the Tooth Brush house but not as good as the Big Candy Bar house.
    Actually, when we give out the Play-dough, it is extremely popular with the Trick-or-Treaters. We hear lots of "Cool, something other than candy." or "Awesome!" Some kids look forward to our house because it is not the standard offering.

Default Both

Quote Originally Posted by cgbphp View Post
    My son was just diagnosed in June with type 1. I also have a four year old daughter. I am trying to find a fair alternative to trick or treat. Or decide if I should let either child participate in trick or treat. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Kayle is T1 and Juliann is allergic to corn (corn Syrup) so we have an exchange for coloring books, paint, dollies, pencils, jewelry whatever they are into. Dad sets the rate as they choose.

Family and friends get them special treats (fruit, sugarfree gum, Tic Tacs other food items) for their bags.

It is great fun and they do not know any different.
    Kaylee 5, DXD 3/2009, Pumping MInimed, Novolog
    Juliann 2 Non D, Allergic to everything

We were pretty freaked out by our first Halloween, too. But it turns out that all the excitement (paired with running all over the neighborhood) made the candy not only a non-issue, but a great way to keep him from going low. We let him snack on a bit, checked his BG more frequently that evening/night, and corrected when we needed to.

For us, the biggest challenged we have faced is just keeping everything normal. Halloween is just one night, IMO, let them have it. You can always get rid of any candy the next day. Or, if you're like me and love candy more than your kids do, you can have a secret stash for weeks. *haha*
    Amanda

Alex (12) ADHD/Anxiety & Celiac
    Brody (8) T1 & Celiac
    Omnipod/Novolog
    Dex G4

He's only 2. You can't give him a bucket of candy anyway, D or no D--he's just a baby. Let him have 1 piece of candy and save the rest to dole out for deserts--an lows.

Also, walking around house to house made my dd run low so she was actually nibbling candy to stay in range.
    Denise,
    DD age 12, dx at 4 (Oct 2006), MM Jul 2009, Guardian Feb 2010, Omnipod Jul 2012, Dex Jan 2013,
    Dex/Cloud Jul 2014. Also peanut allergic and asthmatic.
    DS age 14, non-D, but peanut allergic and asthamtic too. Also Asperger's, ADHD, and a pinch of OCD.

My son was just diagnosed in June with type 1. I also have a four year old daughter. I am trying to find a fair alternative to trick or treat. Or decide if I should let either child participate in trick or treat. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Hi there. I am so sorry about your son's diagnosis. It's very hard, the first year is sooo hard. Just let yourself feel everything you feel and try to get support from wherever you can (emotional support that is).

Our DD was diagnosed at 2 yrs old. She has always trick-or-treated. She gets a whole bunch of candy from the neighborhood, and then she is allowed 1 small treat each day after lunch... I let her do this until about mid-November, then I slowly hide the rest of the candy She is really used to this, so it's never a problem. She just loves to dress up and go out trick or treating!

As long as it's in moderation and you "cover" him for what he is eating, it should be fine. But of course, every family is different, but this is what we do.

Take care!
    Kristin
    Mom to daughter, Frankie (born 12/05) Dx 2/4/08 and son Sebastian (born 4/10)

Pumping with Animas 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by mom24grlz View Post
    Sorry about your child's diagnosis.

We continued to trick or treat after diagnosis. Any candy that she wanted to eat we would just add it with her meal and add in the carbs.

This was given to us by our endocrinologist's office. Maybe it will help you.

Halloween Candy (fun sizes) carb amounts

Air Heads=15
    Almond Joy=12
    Baby Ruth=17
    Bazooka Pop=11
    Bit-O-Honey=6
    Bottle Caps=7
    Bubble Yum=6
    Butterfinger=15
    Charleston Chew=9
    Charm Pop=5
    Dots=20
    Fruit Rollup=9
    Gobstopper=8
    Goldfish Crackers=9
    Green Apple Caramel sucker=17
    Gummi Savers=14
    Hershey's marshmallow pumpkin=20
    Hershey's milk chocolate=10
    Hershey's nugget=5
    Hot tamales=18
    Joe Blo bubble gum=4
    Jolly rancher lollipop=16
    juicy fruits=9
    kitkat=10
    laffy taffy=7
    M&M (peanut)=13
    M&M (plain)=15
    Mega warheads (soft-gum filled)=11
    Mega warheads (sour candies)=3
    mike & ike=18
    milk duds=7
    milky way=14
    Mounds=11
    Necco wafers=13
    Nerds=9
    Nestle crunch=7
    Nutrageous=9
    Nut roll=10
    100 grand=10
    oreos=9
    reeses bites=8
    reese's peanut butter cup=10
    reece's sticks=9
    Rice crispy treat=9
    runts=14
    scooby doo fruit snack=10
    shock tarts=11
    skittles=17
    smarties=8
    snicker=12
    sour punch twist=7
    sprees=7
    starburts (2 pieces)=8
    sugar babies=24
    3 musketeer=13
    tootsie roll bar=12
    tootsie roll pop=16
    twix=10
    twizzler=6
    whoppers=15
    zours=12
    candy corn (10 pieces)=13
    Hershey's assorted minatures=5
    M&M mini box=10
    Milky way minature=6
    3 musketeer minature=4
    reese's miniture cup=4
    tootsie roll midgee=6
    Wow this is awesome!! Thanks for the list!!!!
    Kristin
    Mom to daughter, Frankie (born 12/05) Dx 2/4/08 and son Sebastian (born 4/10)

Pumping with Animas 20/20

My son was Dx 3 days prior to Halloween 8 yrs ago and was released on Halloween.....his nurses were adamant that he trick or treat. He needed to be a regular kid and that means trick or treating. He was nine years old at the time and we made sure he understand he could trick or treat and we would use the candy for his scheduled snacks....Though he got to pick one treat that night to take as a unscheduled treat...It was perfect and everything worked out.

Your child needs to learn to be normal and that they can be a normal kid and still trick or treat...
    Connor dx 10/26/03
    Delaney dx 12/04/04 at WDW
    Kelley and Blair non D

http://thebetesnow.com/

You can also look for a fun alternative as many churches host Fall Festivals. We were never fans of trick-or-treating prior to dx.
    GA Gov. Deal signs Diabetes Care in School Law

Elissa, and Larry 33 years!
    Melissa - 14 (diagnosed 01/03/07)
    Non D-Bethany 26, Allen 24, AJ 20, Christina 13, Leah 9
    Grammy to Isaac - 4
    Pumping with Animas PING -Blue

Find me on Facebook @ : http://www.facebook.com/elissa.holder

I'd say, do only what you are comfortable with. Last year at Halloween my son was 14 months old and he'd only been diagnosed a month. I was terrified of the candy that his 3 older brothers would bring home from trick or treating. I didn't want it in the house. Instead of trick-or-treating, we made a fall festival in our house. My sister and her family were in town so we went to the dollar store and got prizes and we all made booths and had games and had a wonderful time just with family, without a single piece of candy.

That being said, this year I have no problem with all the candy, but I know I wasn't ready last year.
    ~Sara~
    Mom to 5 boys (11, 9, 6, 4, 2)
    Owen - dob July 2009 (dx 9/13/10 at 13 months)
    Animas Ping 11/12/10, Apidra
    DEXCOM 12/9/10