advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pharmacist irritated me!

Default Pharmacist irritated me!

The pharmacist really made me mad today. I tried to get my son's test strips refilled, and of course the insurance won't allow the refills for a few more days. Sometimes they allow the refill before the month is up, sometimes not and I can't figure that out. But that's not my issue. When the pharmacist told me I would have to wait to get the refill, she questioned me on how many strips we use. She pointed out that his perscription is for 10 tests per day and asked if I test him more than that. I said yes, there are days we need to, and she just wouldn't let it go. She kept saying that is too much, that even 10 times a day is a lot, and she's never known anyone to need to test so much. Yeah, I wish he didn't have to do it either! I finally said "Yes, we monitor his BS frequently, and if he is ever feeling low, we test him. And he's a 10 year old boy who sometimes rushes and gets errors...and plays sports and needs to test a little more. So they do add up quick" I finally just stopped and asked myself why I am justifying this to the Target pharmacy lady...it's not her business! Just tell me when I can get the refill and your job is done!

His BS have been wonderful lately, in range most of the time the past couple of weeks. I feel so good about that, but in order to keep the numbers there we do have to check a lot (8 or 9 times on an average day, but more on soccer days or if he feels low, or is just very active...which are most days). The last thing I need is someone questioning me...this is hard enough!....OK I feel better now.
    Jen
    Mom to Jessica, 18,(non-d) and
    Kyle, 12, (diagnosed 9/7/10 at 9 1/2 years old), celiac (2/2012)
    Pumping with Medtronic Revel (9/2012)

Default T w

We had exactly the same problem. I got so sick of it (I was afraid of what I might do if he mentioned it one more time) so we switched pharmacies. Now I don't have to deal with their T1 ignorance - my new pharmacist is amazing, helpful, friendly and knows better than to lecture a mom on how to best look after her T1 child. I say switch - it was the best thing we ever did.

I should mention how he would tell me I was testing too much - he would point to his fingers and then make a big boo boo face saying "too much, too much, poor fingers, poor child" - grrr.
    Jacky
    Oscar, 13, dx 11/18/09, Pumping since 6/21/10
    Animas Vibe with integrated Dexcom and Dexcom standalone receiver, Apidra, Comforts since April 1st 2014
    Minimed VEO with integrated CGM, Apidra and Silhouettes 06/10-03/14

I read a column in the newspaper recently by Ms. Manners. The question was, what do you say to a checker at a store that asks you personal questions or says something inappropriate to you. The answer? "Would you please tell me how much I owe?"
    Susan
    Grandma to Hailey age 11 dx type 1 age 4
    pumping with Omnipod since 8/09
    and Faith age 7
    and now little Macey Ella age 1 year Dx with allergies to nuts, wheat, eggs, and soy

True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life, in whatever shape they may challenge us to combat.

Napoleon I (1769-1821) Napoleon Bonaparte. French general.

Quote Originally Posted by sooz View Post
    I read a column in the newspaper recently by Ms. Manners. The question was, what do you say to a checker at a store that asks you personal questions or says something inappropriate to you. The answer? "Would you please tell me how much I owe?"
    I agree...I think I left there just as frustrated with myself for even responding to her. It is still so hard to let some comments go. Hopefully this gets easier with time, but knowing myself this will always be hard.
    Jen
    Mom to Jessica, 18,(non-d) and
    Kyle, 12, (diagnosed 9/7/10 at 9 1/2 years old), celiac (2/2012)
    Pumping with Medtronic Revel (9/2012)

Oh dear. Well, I can tell you that three words changed my life: Mail. Order. Pharmacy.

Seriously, it is a beautiful thing. Not only do we get three months for the price of two months' co-pay, but I get a little slip of paper with each order telling me the exact date I can re-order supplies. I never have to wait in line. I never have to hear, "Oh, I'm sorry. We're out of X. We'll have it tomorrow afternoon." Or, "The pharmacist is at lunch now. Can you come back in a half hour?" The mail-order pharmacy is a godsend.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

The pharmacists at Kaiser are great but some of the people who work at the window are less than stellar.

I got one lady one day who argued with me over the insulin - we were almost out and I was trying to get more (I think we used to get a bottle a month at the time). She was saying that NO ONE with diabetes needs more than one bottle of insulin a month. She was asking how much insulin we use a day, etc. (which I answered cause that was the first thing she asked).

I told her she could either refill the prescription or he would be a type 1 diabetic who was out of insulin and I'd take him to the ER and get some there. She was ultimately so rude to me that I filed a complaint about her.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

I'm sorry. That is irritating for sure. It's happened a few times where a pharmacist will ask why we have a scrip for so many strips. I have not said it out loud but I have thought a few times when this happened to us "it's your job to fill it, fill it and shut up". What I said the last time is "yep that's what the doctor prescribed." We did just switch pharmacies as of last week, and so far I am happy with the new place. I think the pharmacy is another area where you have to find the right fit, and if they don't work with you,find another.
    12 year old son T1 diagnosed @ age 10, July 16 2010
    MDI: Humalog & Lantus

Home schooling my son for the first time this year.

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity". Gilda Radner, 1946-1989

I guess I'll add that originally the pharmacist at Kaiser did question why I was getting so many strips. They weren't rude about it though - and did explain that there have been cases were people were getting extra supplies on purpose and selling them.

That's different though than the staff trying to tell you that you test too much (or use too much insulin!).
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Quote Originally Posted by selketine View Post
    I guess I'll add that originally the pharmacist at Kaiser did question why I was getting so many strips. They weren't rude about it though - and did explain that there have been cases were people were getting extra supplies on purpose and selling them.

That's different though than the staff trying to tell you that you test too much (or use too much insulin!).
    I'm not a big fan of Kaiser. I have dealt with them in the past (many years ago for other issues) and received the same sort of treatment. It seems like the pharmacists treat everyone like a thief/criminal instead of like a person who really needs their prescription. Are you still required to use only Kaiser pharmacies?
    12 year old son T1 diagnosed @ age 10, July 16 2010
    MDI: Humalog & Lantus

Home schooling my son for the first time this year.

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity". Gilda Radner, 1946-1989

Pharmacists at Target are the whole reason I get all supplies via mail now. I got tired of the stupid questions and bad attitude.
    Laurel (mom to 2)
    Carter, age 16, pumping 1/20/09 Animas Ping with Inset 30s. Part-time DEXCOM user as well. Diagnosed 2/2/08
    Phoebe, age 12 (non D)