advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Grade Science Project - Diabetes

Default 5th Grade Science Project - Diabetes

Anyone have a suggestion for a 5th grade science project on type 1 diabetes?
    Ken
    Dad to Marissa, age 13, dx'd Type 1 age 4, dx'd Celiac age 7

See her videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA8CKH0Ukrc - "Believe in a Cure"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44dikpGfvO4 - "The Climb"

If I had my druthers, I'd love to see a comparison of A1C tests when blood sugars are at different levels. Its probably an expensive proposal with home testing, but I wanted to get my daughter to do it for high school science fair and they woudln't let them do anything with the human body.

During the same day, or couple of days - do a BG test and when in range, do an A1C test. Within the same day, find a time when the subject is high and do an A1C test.

Wait 2 weeks and repeat both scenarios

Wait 2 weeks and repeat both scenarios.

I'm convinced our A1Cs aren't lower because we are always at the clinic right after breakfast. Our meter average this past trip was below 140 but our A1C went UP to 7.5 (which correlates to 168). I'm convinced (but can't prove) that her BG at the time of A1C HAS to affect the reading.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    Emma - 9 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping! as of 9/07, with t:slim as of 8/14!

CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

You know what I think would be interesting? A comparison of the different methods of taking care of diabetes over the years. Like, glucose strips vs. meter strips vs. CGMS; long acting insulins vs. short acting insulins; re-usable syringes vs. disposable vs. pumps. But I guess that's not really so science project -ish.

My son did one last year using two different meters to test his blood sugar. He just used both every time he tested for a month, entered the numbers in an excel sheet, and calculated the variance. He called it "Accuracy Matters?" We found out his old meter (we had switched to Omnipod at that point) was HUGELY different. He talked about what the numbers meant and why it was so bad to have an unreliable meter (when one said 90 and the other said 52). He ended up winning the county fair with it.
    t1 son, diagnosed 9/12/2009
    pumping with Omnipod and loving it

www.travelingwithtype1.wordpress.com

I suggested to my DD that she eat 30g of something for a meal and then print-out the graph on her CGM to show that all carbs don't affect the BGs the same. I also suggested she put photos of how large the 30g portion really is...green beans vs. potato chips, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sdneese View Post
    My son did one last year using two different meters to test his blood sugar. He just used both every time he tested for a month, entered the numbers in an excel sheet, and calculated the variance. He called it "Accuracy Matters?" We found out his old meter (we had switched to Omnipod at that point) was HUGELY different. He talked about what the numbers meant and why it was so bad to have an unreliable meter (when one said 90 and the other said 52). He ended up winning the county fair with it.
    That's very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa P. View Post
    That's very cool.
    Thanks! He was very proud of it! And so was I...
    t1 son, diagnosed 9/12/2009
    pumping with Omnipod and loving it

www.travelingwithtype1.wordpress.com

My non-d daughter (4th grade at the time) last year tested to see not cleaning and drying your fingers would affect bg reading. It was a lot of extra paperwork to use blood, so she would drop the control solution on an area that contained (seperately) dirt, flour, sugar, juice, diet soda, soap, etc. to see if the control solution measured out of its range. She placed 4th at the regional science fair.
    Kristen

mother to
    Sarah 11/05 dx 2/20/2010
    pumping 9/2010 with Ping
    using Dexcom G4 since 12/2012
    Kaitlyn 5/01 non-d

In 5th grade my daughter used her non-D brother to help - he tested then ate a food (such as a donut) then tested again at 5 min., 15 min. 30 min and 1 hour. I think they also used a piece of chicken and a soda. Then she made a graph with the data points and wrote the paper about how insulin works in a functioning pancreas and how her pump simulates it after she inputs the carbs. She got a blue ribbon. Her brother was really nice to test so much for it!

It was interesting to see that after a donut his BG went up to 300, then was back at 90 within a very short time (I think at the 30 min mark).
    Mom to Lauren, age 15 dx'd 1/06
    Pumping MM Revel
    Brother 17, no D
    Brother 20, no D

I would do it on how surface contamination (like juice, or other food residue on your fingers) can effect BG results when hands aren't washed, or not washed very well.. the differences with some things can be astonishing.
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom