advertisement

Thread: Fiction for Tweens with realistic diabetic characters

Default Fiction for Tweens with realistic diabetic characters

When my DD was first diagnosed, she wanted to read books with diabetic characters in them. She tried several popular ones (Babysitter's Club,etc.) but in every book, the characters were passing out from low BGs. It was NOT what she wanted to read when dealing with the emotions and fears of a new diagnosis. Then we found the RPM series by Chris Fabry. Books #3 and #4 contain characters that just live normally with diabetes. They were written shortly after his own son was diagnosed with Type 1. The books are well-written with lots of cliff-hangers. We highly recommend them! The main character of one of his adult books, Almost Heaven, also has Type 1.

Thanks for the info - I've seen that series at the library but haven't checked them out. I'll point them out to DD next time we're there!
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (10, diagnosed at 2) MDI 2006-2009. Medtronic pump 2009-2011. MDI 2011-2013. OmniPod 2013. Dexcom and T:Slim 2013-2014.
    DS (12, diagnosed at 10) MDI for 3 months. OmniPod and Dexcom 2013-2014.

Lurlene Mcdainel has a really good book about a diabetic, It is kinda scary (She stops taking her insulin to lose weight adn ends up at the hospital) but its based in the 80's so I found it very eduvation about how they used to take care of diabetes and how far science has come! Its called for all the days of her life
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major