advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower basal for school?

Default Lower basal for school?

In your experience, have you had lower basal settings for during school hours?

My son's numbers are hovering right around 80 during the day right now, and we're totally happy with that. But with this being his first year of school, I don't really know what to expect. Do you typically have a lower basal setting for school hours?
    Amanda

Alex (12) ADHD/Anxiety & Celiac
    Brody (8) T1 & Celiac
    Omnipod/Novolog
    Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by manda81 View Post

My son's numbers are hovering right around 80 during the day right now, and we're totally happy with that. But with this being his first year of school, I don't really know what to expect. Do you typically have a lower basal setting for school hours?
    I have found that the basal is usually ok, but the bolus needs to be changed for school.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

My daughter needs lower basals day and night when school is in session. YMDV, but I would play it safe the first week of school. Good luck!
    Andii
    Mom to:
    DD, 18, dx 2005, former Cozmo pumper, now pumping with MM Revel since 3/2010, and MM CGMS 7/2010.
    and DS, 14, non-D.
    Married to DH 20 years.

My sons basal rate needs to be increased for school due to lack of activity. YDMV

Jen, Mom to
    Tyler 14 dxd at 6 (7/8/05)
    Pumping with Green Ping 11/09
    Lantus for basal
    CGM - Dexcom G4
    Minimed 722/CGMS 12/08 - 6/09
    Currently playing Hockey
    & Lilly non -d 7 my soccer playing, dancing drama queen

Always keep in mind, everyone is different, and most of the time solutions come after much trial and error

IT IS WHAT IT IS....

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlilly's mom View Post
    My sons basal rate needs to be increased for school due to lack of activity. YDMV
    Same for us. I always have to lower in the summer, and raise when school starts.

My DD started last week and had several lows. I did have to lower her basals just a bit. Yesterday, she wasn't low once during school and was in range.
    Wendy

Walking to Cure on November 2nd, 2013!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]Mom to McKenna, 13 years old, dx'd 12/7/09 (9 yrs);
    7/6/10; PINGing with Novolog

Yes, they need less because of the regular exercise they get at school...

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

DS started school last week and has had way more highs since the first day of school (we're adjusting basals up). I thought his needs might go down because of the extra "brain power" he's using or the excitement of something new, but nope. It's his first year of school on the pump, which I think also makes a difference for him.

I just sent him to school without making changes and prepared with extra snacks for lows or extra insulin for highs. You just have to figure it out by trial and error.

Good luck with school!
    DS age 12 dx'ed 9/09 Pumping with MM as of 5/11

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinmom View Post
    DS started school last week and has had way more highs since the first day of school (we're adjusting basals up). I thought his needs might go down because of the extra "brain power" he's using or the excitement of something new, but nope. It's his first year of school on the pump, which I think also makes a difference for him.

I just sent him to school without making changes and prepared with extra snacks for lows or extra insulin for highs. You just have to figure it out by trial and error.

Good luck with school!
    Same with us. I have no idea what to expect once school starts next week, but we have a great nurse and we'll just have to make adjustments after teh first few days, week, etc.
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

Kaylee's basals are usually increased when school starts because she's getting less exercise.. she's going from running around all day to sitting all day, it definitely makes a difference.
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11