advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter to classroom parents

Default Letter to classroom parents

Meet the teacher night is next Monday. I am very anxious. DD was DX during the school year so it was a learning experience for everyone at the same time. We were also lucky in that DD's teacher had JUST been DX with gestational D so she was very into carb counting and very aware. When she left for maternity leave we had a very steep learning curve with the new teacher. Had there not been only six weeks of school left my dh and I would have requested a new teacher - it was that challenging.

Needless to say, since school starts in eight days my stress levels are on the rise. I'd like to draft a letter to the class parents about T1D explaining what it is, and that asking if possible when sending treats in to include the carb count if possible. Has anyone done this? If so, would you mind sharing what you wrote?

Thanks in advance!!
    Mom to three awesome daughters
    DD - 7... dx 09-11-2010 ...pumping with a green Ping...
    DD - 9 Non-D
    DD - 12 Non-D
    & Wife to a pretty great guy

Well, I guess the first question is, does your school have any policy about bringing treats into the classroom? If they do ( and most schools do for reasons of allergies) then I wouldn't.

Generally speaking I think letters like that subject D kids to unwanted attention and commentary. Most parents send in store bought or home mage cup cakes and really, you can estimated the carbs just as accurately as any non-D parent ever could with a cake mix box and a calculator. Jmho
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    Well, I guess the first question is, does your school have any policy about bringing treats into the classroom? If they do ( and most schools do for reasons of allergies) then I wouldn't.
    The only policy is that birthday treats be given out during lunch. There are no other true policies as far as treats are concerned.

My oldest has a severe peanut allergy and the nurses sent a letter home at the beginning of the year telling parents there was a peanut allergic child in the class and explained what happens during a reaction. The school is not peanut-free meaning kids can eat peanut products but the cafeteria doesn't serve anything items containing peanuts. The vice principal has tried to encourage a non-food birthday treat policy, but he's not having much luck implementing it.

Sarah - do you address it at all in the classroom?
    DD - 9 Non-D
    DD - 12 Non-D

Why not just learn to guesstimate carb counts and adapt rather than force everyone around you to mold to what you expect of them? My experience that similar size cupcakes don't really vary that much..... I would just assume a cupcake has 25-30g of carbs (depending on the amount of icing.. most home made are on the lower end unless the icing is piped on) and try not to stress out about it.

I would never expect to be handed a carb count at a party... part of my job as a T1 is to learn to estimate carbs without having to rely on the box/package or a scale. In real life sometimes you just have to make a SWAG... and it's usually not a huge crisis if you're wrong.
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/...earParents.doc

Here is a letter and you can add whatever you like to it. Personally, we have the nurse use calorie king and/or call me. One time my son opted to bring a giant cookie home. Good luck!
    Robbie, mom to 5- 4 boys, 1 girl
    Josh (10)~DX T1 & hashimoto's 4/22/10~Omnipod11/23/10 Dexcom 8/11

"Remember how strong you are, even if you don't realize it. How blessed you are, even if you can't see it. How deeply loved you are, even if you can't feel it. These things are always there-waiting, urging you to take them on. Be strong, be blessed, be love, give love, own your own love."

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    The only policy is that birthday treats be given out during lunch. There are no other true policies as far as treats are concerned.

My oldest has a severe peanut allergy and the nurses sent a letter home at the beginning of the year telling parents there was a peanut allergic child in the class and explained what happens during a reaction. The school is not peanut-free meaning kids can eat peanut products but the cafeteria doesn't serve anything items containing peanuts. The vice principal has tried to encourage a non-food birthday treat policy, but he's not having much luck implementing it.

Sarah - do you address it at all in the classroom?
    I think I sent a letter out in kindy or 1st but in hindsight it was a mistake. Parents showed up with the class treat and then some nasty "sugar free" candy bar for Maddie. People just don't understand carbs and I think sending home a letter just screams, " here's the kid with diabetes ( a disease you probably associate with poor eating habits) and now I'd like to talk about serving him/her cupcakes" But that's just been my experience. Maybe you can word it in such a way that your child isn't singled out around food.
    Good luck!
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    I think I sent a letter out in kindy or 1st but in hindsight it was a mistake. Parents showed up with the class treat and then some nasty "sugar free" candy bar for Maddie.
    Yes - your child will end up with a nice box of raisins!

If you and/or the nurse doesn't want to guesstimate the carbs - then you could send in an alternate treat to be stored there in case there is a party. William has nut allergies along with type 1 so he almost always has to get an alternate treat anyway. If the treat is something he can have, the nurse is good about trying to secure some carb info. However at our school the parents are not allowed to bring in home baked treats - they must be store bought - and sometimes they will have nutritional info on them but usually not.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'll definitely forgo the letter and send the nurses a copy of the Calorie King book.

From all of your replies, sounds like the letter will likely do more harm than good. DH and I are still learning!

Thanks again for your advice!
    DD - 9 Non-D
    DD - 12 Non-D

We never thought of doing this, but I know our school would not have allowed it based on privacy issues.

Our teacher did however send out a letter to families in the beginning of the year saying in regards to snacks: "due to dietary restrictions, any snacks coming into the classroom would need to have the nutritional label and ingredients listed."
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

I wouldn't call attention to it.

As Sarah said, that might backfire via other parents sending some substitute treat for your dd, which might make your dd unhappy to be singled out of something everyone else is enjoying.

My bigger fear would be that a mass announcement may cause other parents to shy away from including your dd in play dates and bday party invites. Not because they are mean or uncaring, but because alot of people would rather just take the path of least resistance (ie why include this child with special needs, take on that risk, etc...when we can just invite Trudy instead...she's low maintenance)

I would just talk to the classroom teacher (and school nurse) to make sure you are notified when there will be a treat in class so you can guesstimate carbs accordingly if they can't do it (or you don't trust them to). It's unlikely they will have a party every week, so it shouldn't be that frequent an issue.
    Jane, Lucky mom to:
    Bobby (14) T1 dx 9/10, Omnipod (7/11)
    Nick (11) non-D, Autism

"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill