advertisement

Thread: Anyone with experience running a gaming server - like Minecraft?

Default Anyone with experience running a gaming server - like Minecraft?

My kids wanted to have their own Minecraft server so we did some research and decided to go month-to-month with an server hosting company that specializes in Minecraft servers. The kids want to expand so more people can play - but the cost goes up as well.

I guess before I get into the questions of it all - anyone have experience in this area?
    Last edited by selketine; 07-25-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Hi there! I have a son that looooves Minecraft. I've allowed him to host a server when I'm home and keeping an eye on things.

I'm pretty sure you have to set up port forwarding on your firewall to make it happen, but my other son has claimed to be able to host a server without the port forwarding set up to his computer, so I'm not quite sure. I haven't investigated it too much as they haven't been asking to host much lately.

I am amazed at the creations my son comes up with. He's built these crazy houses with mock tv's and dance floors. Of course, you have to keep the creepers and zombies out.

By the way, did you know there's a minecraft album for sale? We purchased and downloaded it from amazon. It was the only thing we listened to in the car for a while.

Have fun!
    Sally, My Boys' Mom
    Sweet Boy, 14, inventor, drummer - dx'd 2/13/09 - Pumping Minimed 8/09
    Sweet Boy, 14, gamer, dreamer - non-d
    Sweet young man, 23 - growing up...

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache "
    -D. Hall, Age 8

Sounds like you are using one of your home computers as a server right? I decided to go with a hosting company just so I didn't have to worry about security issues - of course we have to pay monthly for that vs. free if we ran our own. So my questions mostly involve around hosting issues and prices.

I'll tell them about the album - I'm sure they'd want to take a look!

If anyone has kids playing Minecraft and want to play on our server let me know and I can give you the address. The kids are having a blast with it.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.

Would you be willing to give me the info on the hosting service? I think I'd like to pay to give the boys the freedom and not have the security concerns. I had never thought before about hosting it somewhere.

Thank you!!!!

Oh, and yes, I'd love the address. You can pm it to me and I'll let you know my son's screen name and they can chat too if you think that's OK.
    Sally, My Boys' Mom
    Sweet Boy, 14, inventor, drummer - dx'd 2/13/09 - Pumping Minimed 8/09
    Sweet Boy, 14, gamer, dreamer - non-d
    Sweet young man, 23 - growing up...

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache "
    -D. Hall, Age 8

I'll PM you the info!
    Carol G.