advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sugar vs. splenda

Quote Originally Posted by Joretta View Post
    What soda has stevia?
    Zevia
    http://www.zevia.com/

Personally, I do not like it. It has a strong after taste but I have heard of others who enjoy it.
    Aimee in New Jersey
    mom to Sean (14)- non D
    Hana (13) T1 dx 3/3/10
    Case (10) non D
    wife to Scott
    Pumping with OmniPod
    Dex G4

I prefer actual sugar to substitutes. I bake with raw sugar and use stevia drops in tea. Never use Splenda...and try to avoid it in prepped foods but it sneaks in sometimes.
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (11, diagnosed at 2) MDI 2006-2009. Medtronic pump 2009-2011. MDI 2011-2013. OmniPod 2013. Dexcom and T:Slim 2013-2014. Added Nightscout 2014. Diagnosed with Graves' disease in 2014.
    DS (12, diagnosed at 10) MDI for 3 months. OmniPod and Dexcom 2013-2014. Added Nightscout 2014.

I use organic sugar i just like the way it tastes in coffee I also have regular sugar and splenda but when I tried it in my coffee I couldn't believe that it foamed I thought this cant be good for my baby!
    Amy
    Son 5 years old and non D
    Daughter 2 years old Dx T1D @ 18mo. Pumping with Animas One Touch Ping with Apidra as of August 2011
    Husband also lives with T1D

I consider real sugar to be healthier than artificial sweeteners. I don't have a lot of food or drink which is pure sugar, but if it's baked into something, I always use real sugar.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Quote Originally Posted by 3kidlets View Post
    Zevia
    http://www.zevia.com/

Personally, I do not like it. It has a strong after taste but I have heard of others who enjoy it.

I find it very sweet, but no after taste, I prefer the Cherry, orange, lime and grape. My husband drinks all the flavours
    My 1st meter from the 70's

Splenda give us all severe digestive issues we've found. Similar to problems caused by sugar alcohols. I prefer stevia is using an artificial sweetener but usually use good ol' sugar, just less of it.
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. T-Slim 9/14, Dex 9/14, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 14, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 11, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

7. Default

We always use sugar or agave here. We could never get used to Splenda and found that we preferred to just learn to live with less sugar. In fact, we now use only about 2/3 or 3/4 the amount of sugar in recipes that we used to make pre-D.

The only time we use artificial sweeteners is with drinks like Jones Zero or Steaz. My daughter has one as a treat about once or twice a month. She gets a treat without it adding to her carb count, plus they taste great.
    Mom to:
    12 1/2 year old daughter (diagnosed 2007) OmniPod, Dexcom Seven+
    7 year old son

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

We use maple syrup, honey or stevia. We avoid chemical sweeteners. I think they make splenda out of actual sugar but take out something to put chlorine atoms in it.
    Amanda