advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your endo charge for phone advice?

Default Does your endo charge for phone advice?

A few months ago my son had a fever and was producing ketones so I called my endo to get help with insulin dosing. Today I received a bill in the mail for $23 for the "5-10 minute medical consultation." I'm wondering if anyone else has an endo that bills for dosing advice. I didn't even speak with the endo himself but one of the nurse practitioners. The practice also charges $5/page for any forms you ask them to fill out for school, etc and $20 if you would like the A1c done by finger prick (A1c done by blood draw is free).

We had recently switched from seeing a physican at our local Children's Hospital to this private endocrinologist that came very highly recommended. I feel like, however, I am being nickle and dimed.
    Mom to:
    DD, age 7, dx'd 3/09, MDI
    DS #1, age 5, dx'd 9/09, MDI
    DS #2, age 3, non-D

Wow. That seems crazy to me to charge for a phone call! I can email our endo anytime and get advice as well. However, we are charged for the fingerstick A1C in the office, if we choose to do it that way. I think we pay $25 for that.
    Stephanie

Mom to Adam (6), diagnosed with T1D 8/31/10,
    Pumping Apidra with OmniPod (started 12/11)
    Pumped with Animas Ping for 1 year.
    Dexcom 7 CGMS
    and Sydney (8)

blogging at: www.mylifeasapancreas.blogspot.com

My endo doesn't do fingerstick A1cs. You can do them yourself for about $12 if you buy the A1c now from Bayer at Walgreens.

He does not charge for phone consultations.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

No, we don't get charged for phone calls or emails. Or for papers being filled out.

I'd change endo's just for that reason.. . they are nickle and diming you (and probably your insurance company) over silly little things.
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWithType1 View Post
    A few months ago my son had a fever and was producing ketones so I called my endo to get help with insulin dosing. Today I received a bill in the mail for $23 for the "5-10 minute medical consultation." I'm wondering if anyone else has an endo that bills for dosing advice. I didn't even speak with the endo himself but one of the nurse practitioners. The practice also charges $5/page for any forms you ask them to fill out for school, etc and $20 if you would like the A1c done by finger prick (A1c done by blood draw is free).

We had recently switched from seeing a physican at our local Children's Hospital to this private endocrinologist that came very highly recommended. I feel like, however, I am being nickle and dimed.
    Endo does not, no, and it would irritate me and cause me to change MD's if so. A big part of their service is NOT about office visits but about being available for tweaks and changes. It would not be reasonable in my mind for a pedi endo to charge like that.

I did, however, have a pediatrician who charged for phone consults. When you called after hours it was clearly told to you that if you chose to have a nurse or Dr. return your call that you would be charged, so there were never any surprises. It irritated me somewhat but I also think it was self preservation on their part...it cut down hugely on nonsense calling and kept phone consults to things that truly needed medical input.

I would question as to why you were not informed ahead of time about this.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

Nope. We aren't charged for any communications outside of the quarterly visits. That seems ridiculous to me--you had a real need.

I had a friend whose pediatrician began to charge for after hours calls that could have waited. I can understand charging if somebody is calling about something that could wait. I too would consider changing endos. Charging for every little thing tells me that his priority is possibly more on money than my kid's health.
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

No additional charges for us.
    GA Gov. Deal signs Diabetes Care in School Law

Elissa, and Larry 33 years!
    Melissa - 14 (diagnosed 01/03/07)
    Non D-Bethany 26, Allen 24, AJ 20, Christina 13, Leah 9
    Grammy to Isaac - 4
    Pumping with Animas PING -Blue

Find me on Facebook @ : http://www.facebook.com/elissa.holder

We are not charged for phone calls or emails. That does seem like nickle and diming. I would not be happy myself with that kind of service. After all they already are paid so much for a visit. Is this endo a lawyer too???!
    Kristen
    Mom to 3 wonderful kids!
    Kelly age:23 non-d
    Patrick age: 22 non-d
    Caitlin age: 13 D, Dx'd 5/19/11
    Humalog and Lantus

"Far and Away the best prize that Life has to offer is the chance" *Theodore Roosevelt

'We must become the change we want to see in the world" *Mahandas Gandhi

We're not charged for that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Lisa P.; 07-12-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: tmi

We are not charged either. However, I have not spoken to the providers but rather the CDE's for dose changes, etc. I do believe there is a charge for an A1C done by fingerstick at the appointment. Our first follow up appointment is this week, so I will know for sure by then, but I have heard they charge for it done in the office.
    Mom to DS, 11
    Diagnosed 3/2011 with Type 1
    Pump: MM Revel 12/2011, Omnipod 3/2013
    MM CGM 3/2012, Dexcom G4 3/2013