advertisement

Thread: growth hormone problems?

Default growth hormone problems?

Hello,
    My daughter was diagnosed very young with Type 1, at 9 months old. She is now 21 months old and has grown very little since diagnosis. My husband and I are both fairly tall, so it doesn't make sense that she is just barely on the growth chart. Her weight is right at 50% as well, so that is fine- just height seems to be the problem. She recently had growth hormone levels checked (ILGF-1 and ILGF BP) and they are both very low. We are very concerned, and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Our blood sugars have been variable- A1Cs have been 9.0, 7.4, 8.9, and most recently 7.0.

Default Wondering the same thing

I hope someone one replies that can answer this question. My daughter is 9, was diagnosed 4 months ago, but she hasn't grown in 9 months. She was losing weight before diagnosis and has gained it back, but she still only weighs 56lbs and is 47" tall. I keep waiting for her to grow, but it isn't happening.

No answers???

My son was dx at 4 years old. Although he is getting taller, he has barely gained any weight since dx...he's now 7. He is pretty skinny now, and I am wondering when he will start to gain weight. I'd like to start him on the CGM, but he has no fat to pinch for sensor insertion...some use arms...but he doesn't have much there either!

Going to the pediatrician later this month and will be bringing this up with him.
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

Might not be a lot of responses because it is in the Stickies section. Maybe post in the regular Parent section so more people see it??
    Caryn
    Mom of Noah 20 non-d
    Drew 17 (dx - 12/05 ), pump break as of 4/13 (previously using Medtronic Revel 12/12 )
    Kyra 13 non-d

Both of my sons are short stature (they have spina bifida and we have SB) and growth hormone deficient. They take HGH injections daily. Both Ingrid and I are also GH deficient. We're also all 4 T1 diabetics.

Maybe it's not the diabetes but all the preservatives in the foods we now eat. I was diagnosed at the age of 5 in 1965 and I grew both in height and weight in the "normal" range. I ended up being taller than my mother and my sister, both non-diabetics
    Juvenile Onset Diabetic since September 17, 1965
    Injects humulin N & R three times a day

General rule is spina bifida people tend to be short to begin with. We are prone to HGH levels being low as part of our physical challenges.

Lightbulb Was in the same boat. It WILL get better be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by dzirbel View Post
    I hope someone one replies that can answer this question. My daughter is 9, was diagnosed 4 months ago, but she hasn't grown in 9 months. She was losing weight before diagnosis and has gained it back, but she still only weighs 56lbs and is 47" tall. I keep waiting for her to grow, but it isn't happening.
    My daughter is now 13. She was diagnosised a week before her 9th birthday. This year she has taken a massive growth. In 2007, she weighed 56lbs. Today, she weighs 73.5 lbs. She is growing and gaining weight, but hang on, the frustration now really begins. Puberty is VERY frustrating. Very hard to keep level and increasing insulin bi-weekly. Be patient. Your daughter will grow in her due time (mine did).

Default growth

My son was dx'd at age 2, REALLY slowed on growth for awhile, and now at 14, he is eagerly awaiting a spurt as he is one of the smallest in his grade. I feel for him and have wondered about growth hormones also. Thanks for the encouragement that it could happen!
    ~Linda Buzogany