advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about diabetes camp

Default Question about diabetes camp

Matt isn't interested this year, but I had a question that I think would pertain to the group on this board since so many of us check our kids at least once during the night.

Do they test the kids at night at camp?

I guess it seems like a lot to ask, yet since my son needs that 3AM check, I figured I'd ask it. If they didn't check, I wouldn't blame them -- as I wouldn't expect them to have the resources to do that -- but by the same token that would be a deal breaker for Matt going. I wouldn't be able to relax if they were letting him play all day and then sleep through the night without a check.
    -------------

father of Matt, age 13, diagnosed November of 2009,

11/09-10/11: MDI humulog, Levemir nightly

10/11-present: MM 523, and now the new one with threshold suspend

Quote Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
    Matt isn't interested this year, but I had a question that I think would pertain to the group on this board since so many of us check our kids at least once during the night.

Do they test the kids at night at camp?

I guess it seems like a lot to ask, yet since my son needs that 3AM check, I figured I'd ask it. If they didn't check, I wouldn't blame them -- as I wouldn't expect them to have the resources to do that -- but by the same token that would be a deal breaker for Matt going. I wouldn't be able to relax if they were letting him play all day and then sleep through the night without a check.
    They do at Camp Sweeney, at least once, more if there's an issue.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    20 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

My daughter goes to Camp Victory, the ADA run camp here in Louisiana. If you request night checks, the nurses will come to the cabin and check each and every camper who is on their night check list. They also treat and correct if necessary. My mom is an RN who volunteered at camp a couple of years ago, and she said that they even changed sets in the middle of the night when necessary.

I would highly suggest that any camper have night checks as the activity level is extremely high during the day.
    Marie
    Mom to Julia (15) dx 12/08
    Pumping with tSlim

Abby goes to Clara Barton (who runs Joslin too). Yes, they have a whole protocol for nighttime testing. Usually once a night, then more if there is an issue.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Camp floyd Rogers does midnight and three am checks.

Amy~ mom to
    Kayla~18 T1 dx 4/24/10 pumping with purple revel 12/22/10
    Noah~15 T1 dx 1/31/11
    and Nick~11, primary immune def (CVID) receives IVIG, asthma

At Gales Creek the counselors check each and every kid at midnight AND 3am.

Not going isn't an option for our son. This is something he doesn't have a choice in. We feel the benefits will last him a lifetime.
    Last edited by TheTestingMom; 06-21-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Mom to only child
    H ~ born 8/2001
    Diagnosed 12/2009 in DKA
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 07/2010

The camp my DS goes to also does a 2am check. I bet most camps do at least one night check. If not, it's not out of bounds to ask them to do a check on your child!!!
    DS age 12 dx'ed 9/09 Pumping with MM as of 5/11

DD hasn't gone to D camp, but we went to an overview and they do check the kids every night and correct or give carbs when necessary.
    Wendy

Walking to Cure on November 2nd, 2013!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]Mom to McKenna, 13 years old, dx'd 12/7/09 (9 yrs);
    7/6/10; PINGing with Novolog

To the parent that said, "we don't give our kid the choice..." GOOD!! I was VERY angry at this whole deal as a child and my parents furthermore never got much info on camps... it would have made a huge difference in my perspective certainly then, and perhaps now as well... my urge... DO IT... THEY NEED TO KNOW SOMEONE ELSE (I had no one!... there were other kids at my school, but I barely knew their names, much less could even vent to them about it) ...

They do 2 middle of the night checks at the D camp our daughter goes to. Midnight and 3 am. More if needed for lows / highs. I couldn't send her to a camp that didn't do middle of the night checks either, especially when you add in a lot of things they aren't normally doing.
    Nicole -- Mom of 6 Hashimoto's dx 10/06

Elizabeth --13
    dx Hashimotos 4/06
    Type 1 dx 12/10/2008

Pumping w/ a Green PING as of November 3rd, 2009!!! :-)
    Novolog 12/10/2008 to 6/10/2011
    Now pumping with APIDRA and loving it!
    Dexcom 7 started 7/16/2011

Jonathan--11, non-D, Asperger's

Abigail -- 9 , non-D
    Joseph -- 7, non-D, Vitiligo
    Grace -- 5, non-D
    and Jesse -- 2, non-D

Sister to Heather --31 (lol) D, dx 1984, Hashimotos, PINGING as of 4/9/2010