advertisement

Thread: Packing for a trip...What I have forgotten?

Default Packing for a trip...What I have forgotten?

We are packing for our first vacation with D. I have an empty box that I'm dropping things into as I think of them. Here is my list. Please add what you think I need to include. I have test strips, syringes in case of pen failure, mini needles, lancets, glucose tabs, glucagon so far. I need to put in extra insulin cartridges for our novolog pen, extra solostar pens for lantus, alcohol swabs, extra glucose meter, extra meter batteries. What have I forgotten? We're heading for FL so I bought a frio bag to carry insulin in the parks. Thanks for your input!

extra lancet device
    emergency phone number of endo
    you have test strips - have at least double of what you normally need
    whatever you use to test ketones
    slower carb snacks - trail mix, pb crackers, granola bar
    something to put used syringes in (even just a baggie to be dealt with later)

enjoy!
    mathcat, mom to
    teen dx over 10 years ago, on minimed pump less than a year later, now using Minimed Enlite pump and CGM

Do you have the prescription label that came with the syringes? I'd bring that, for the security people.

I'd also count the number of needles- on vacation I might need more than usual. I don't bring extra meter batteries but I do bring two meters- one as backup- and make sure both have working batteries.

On my last vacation I lost my medic alert, which isn't such a big deal, but a vacation is exactly when I feel I need the alert the most. So on my next vacation I'll probably bring an extra.

I bring actual food, not just glucose tabs, when I travel (especially since I typically travel by greyhound), but you might not need to if you bring along cash.

I also make sure I bring with the phone numbers of my various doctors and write down somewhere what my diagnoses are, how much insulin I've been needing, what other medications I've been taking, etc.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

When I was on MDI and in the parks, I just took my used syringes to the first aid station and they gladly disposed of them for me.
    Adult, Pumping Clear MM Revel 723 with Novolog, Dexcom

Oh, right! I forgot about test strips for ketones, and we deal with them more often than I'd like. We did purchase an electric cooler to keep food snacks available while we are driving. Didn't think about docs phone numbers either. I have an extra medic alert tag. I think I have double the glucose test strips, and lancets. Thanks! Keep more suggestions coming if anyone thinks of anything!

In addition to what has been mentioned, we take a copy of Calorie King, a portable scale, and sugar-free powdered drink mixes for adding to water (the Kool-Aid fizzy tabs and Crystal Lite pouches), extra batteries, mini LED flashlight (for nighttime checks), and individually-wrapped Cottonelle wipes for cleaning hands (we don't usually use alcohol wipes).

When we go to Florida, we stay in a condo, so also pack collapsible measuring cups and measuring spoons.

Have fun!
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

Right!! Scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons!! Yikes! I'm glad I asked for help. Keep it coming! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mathcat View Post
    extra lancet device
    emergency phone number of endo
    you have test strips - have at least double of what you normally need
    whatever you use to test ketones
    slower carb snacks - trail mix, pb crackers, granola bar
    something to put used syringes in (even just a baggie to be dealt with later)

enjoy!
    Love the trail mix idea... we usually end up with crumbled pb crackers or smooshed Nutrigrain bars. Sometimes I put crackers in an eyeglass case (travel soap container would work too). Individual pkgs of peanut butter are also easy to carry for a slow carb.
    Married to dh and Mom to 3 boys (10/96; 3/99; 2/02)
    Ds #2 diagnosed D-T1 5/29/2010
    Novolog
    OmniPod 9/30/11

Hand wipes for getting dirt off of fingers before testing. I am taking notes on this thread, we are doing a road trip too. I would also get some info on a local pharmacy just in case we need to pick something up.

Wow! Thanks for the tips. I still need to find some extra measuring cups. Hopefully, that will be taken care of today. I like the idea of individual peanutbutter cups. I was able to get some of them, and some small bags of trail mix and almonds. Thank you for all the help!