advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: where did your pump start happen

Default where did your pump start happen

My DD pump will be in our hands Thursday BUT I found out this morning that her pump start date most likely happen till the end of Aug My DD team starts their kids on their pumps in hospitals but I was wondering if any of you have started at home with some sort of help that can come to our home? Reading some posts on here I have an idea that not all of you started in the hospital... I took the summer off from my classes because I wanted to focus my attention on my kids and getting use to being on a pump. I hope some how we can start Isabella before Aug... Hopefully by the end of this month!!!
    Amy
    Son 5 years old and non D
    Daughter 2 years old Dx T1D @ 18mo. Pumping with Animas One Touch Ping with Apidra as of August 2011
    Husband also lives with T1D

We did it at home all alone after reading the manual and a check with the endo to confirm our initial factors and rates.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

We did 3 classes at the office. One was a general overview, the second was the saline start and the third was the insulin start. It probably took around 1 1/2 months to complete. Maybe you can check with the endo and explore other possibilities like working with someone from Animas who might come to the house. Who ever you work with, you'll need the support of your endo's office for the first number of weeks to help you tweak the basals and trouble shoot. Hope you can speed up the process!
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Landrys View Post
    My DD team starts their kids on their pumps in hospitals but I was wondering if any of you have started at home with some sort of help that can come to our home? Reading some posts on here I have an idea that not all of you started in the hospital...
    My reaction is ...

I would say almost no one starts on a pump in the hospital these days anyway - unless there are other medical issues.

A CDE who was an Animas rep and also employed by our HMO came to our house to do the training and start him on his pump - took about 3 hours one morning.

There is NO way I'd agree to do a pump start in a hospital (assuming no other issue). You (and your child if old enough) need to learn how to fill the reservoir, change sets, troubleshoot, and work the pump. And you need to have back-up short and long acting insulin. The short-term learning curve is no way near as steep as being dx'd with type 1 - and needing a hospital stay so the staff can train the parents on how to care for the child.

I'm not encouraging you to go off with the book on your own but that is ridiculous. I'm surprised that insurance would even pay for the hospital stay this is so unnecessary.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Thats what I was kinda thinking I dont want to wait that long.... Ill have to explore other ways of getting this done!
    Amy
    Son 5 years old and non D
    Daughter 2 years old Dx T1D @ 18mo. Pumping with Animas One Touch Ping with Apidra as of August 2011
    Husband also lives with T1D

Quote Originally Posted by The Landrys View Post
    My DD pump will be in our hands Thursday BUT I found out this morning that her pump start date most likely happen till the end of Aug My DD team starts their kids on their pumps in hospitals but I was wondering if any of you have started at home with some sort of help that can come to our home? Reading some posts on here I have an idea that not all of you started in the hospital... I took the summer off from my classes because I wanted to focus my attention on my kids and getting use to being on a pump. I hope some how we can start Isabella before Aug... Hopefully by the end of this month!!!
    We had someone come to our home to demo the pump, but not for training. He got to insert a set and play with the pump, but that's about it.

For training we went to our Endo's office and met with our CDE, then she gave us ongoing support via email and phone till we felt comfortable.

It's pretty rare, I think, to start in the hospital, at least around here. Our insurance wouldn't let us anyway.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

We started at home also...Animas rep came to our house with the orders and trained us and the school in the same day and we came back to our house for the hook up....I'm with the other's I would not want my pump start to be in the hospital...as soon as we where hooked up we headed to DQ for a blizzard to celebrate!!

Paulla Proud Mom Of
    Kellse (14) DXD 8/06 Type 1
    Zachary (24) Non-D
    Pumping with ANIMAS since January 25th, 2008
    Using Dexcom since March 17th 2011

We had an appointment with our CDE at the Children's Hospital where DD was diagnosed and started in her office. We went home after that and did fine. We did have help from Animas for the first couple of weeks to tweek the numbers. It takes more than a few days to get them right.
    Wendy

Walking to Cure on November 2nd, 2013!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]Mom to McKenna, 13 years old, dx'd 12/7/09 (9 yrs);
    7/6/10; PINGing with Novolog

We had three appointments with the "pump nurse" at the endo's office. At the third one we loaded the pump and hooked him and left. We had an appointment with her a week later to go over everything.

Nathan's endo isn't big on hospitalization---Nathan has never been in the hospital.
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

We started at home for both pump and CGM. Our trainer is awesome!
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)