advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "wipe awat the 1st drop of blood."; Why!?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob'sDad View Post
    Here's a bizarre question:

Can blood act as a cleaner? Like when you wipe away the first drop of blood, you help clean the area with the blood.
    In a pinch, that's what we go by. (such as if he is testing in the middle of a baseball field. Heck, he's only 6....there is a lot of idle time out there.)
    Max 12/13/04 (now age 7)
    Diagnosed at 12 months old 1/06
    Pumping since diagnosis on Animas

We never wipe away the first drop either.. As long as her hand is clean I don't see a need, and actually if you do wipe away that first drop you need to be careful there is nothing on whatever you wipe with that would contaminate it.
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

We were not taught that nor did we see any of the nurses in the hospital do it that way.

I had a rep from Abbot talk about wiping away the first drop when she was demonstrating the Quickwik butterfly strips to me. Seems kind of counterproductive to advertise your meter/strips as requiring the smallest blood sample on the market only to have to wipe it away and squeeze the finger again!
    my extra sweet girls:
    Amanda age 11 dx'd Nov. 29 2008 (age 7) pumping with a Medtronic Veo & CGM

Chloe age 11 dx'd Dec 7 2012 (age 11) MDI Lantus/Apidra

My other great (non-d) kids:
    Colin age 16, Liam age 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    We were not taught that nor did we see any of the nurses in the hospital do it that way.

I had a rep from Abbot talk about wiping away the first drop when she was demonstrating the Quickwik butterfly strips to me. Seems kind of counterproductive to advertise your meter/strips as requiring the smallest blood sample on the market only to have to wipe it away and squeeze the finger again!
    Yeah it is kind of silly. And we were told in the hospital that we should never squeeze the finger to get more blood. We were told that could cause a false reading.
    12 year old son T1 diagnosed @ age 10, July 16 2010
    MDI: Humalog & Lantus

Home schooling my son for the first time this year.

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity". Gilda Radner, 1946-1989

Quote Originally Posted by NeurosurgeryNP View Post
    Theoretically, the first drop of blood after you pricked also contains interstitial fluid which mingled with the blood which may cause a false low. So, when i went to nursing school they taught us to always wipe away the first drop and use the second drop for the sample. I do not practice this however when I test myself.
    I never knew this! (I thought you only got to interstial fluid if you didn't lance quite enough and really milked the fingert, instead of re-lancing.) Thanks.

9 years, never wiped away the 1st drop, except if still wet from and alcohol pad. Use an alcohol pad about 80% of the time.
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    pumps Apidra with MM 530G

There was a recent study that showed that using the second drop of blood brought better results if the hands were not washed first. Alcohol doesn't cut it. If you've washed hands with soap and water, there's no need for a second drop.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...3/556.abstract
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Theoretically, the first drop of blood after you pricked also contains interstitial fluid which mingled with the blood which may cause a false low. So, when i went to nursing school they taught us to always wipe away the first drop and use the second drop for the sample. I do not practice this however when I test myself.

We don't, normally, wipe away the first blood sample unless there is good reason to. If he has squeezed exceptionally hard, where interstitial fluid might be a concern, then we will. But otherwise no. In other words, maybe once in a VERY great while.

We have found that washing with soap and water, if not completely dried, will dilute his bg levels, but it's kind of a "as warranted" basis. If he just washed his hands and we would expect him to be around 110 and he tests out at 45 then we just ensure that his hands are completely dry and do another test. KWIM? It just didn't make good sense.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by payam7777777 View Post
    when doing a BG test, "remember to always wipe off the 1st drop of blood.".

why is that?
    i didnt know that.
    I nearly smacked a well meaning ER nurse for doing that! My dd was severely dehydrated and one drop of blood was difficult to get...she wiped away a perfectly good drop, couldn't get any more and had to prick again....starting the whole process over until I stepped in. She said they were trained that way, and I've heard the interstitial fluid reason before...but we now know that cgms use interstitial fluid readings...so maybe the training needs to be updated.

I was taught this at uni too. In fact, I almost failed a diabetes clinical skills exam for not doing so The lady who was examining me told me very gravely that it was extremely important. In real life, many of the patients who's BGs I check are old and don't bleed much. If I wiped away that precious first drop, I'd never get any blood! None of the nurses I work with practice this, and I certainly don't
    23 y/o, Dx 12/02 Type 1
    Pumping purple MM Veo
    BSN, RN

We were taught:

1) if using an alcohol wipe or antibacterial gel to clean hands, wipe away first drop and test with second drop, or
    2) if washing with soap and water, just get finger nice and dry before testing on first drop.

My understanding is that they want to ensure that the alcohol is fully wiped away before taking the sample. Since we stopped using wipes within a month of dx, it hasn't been an issue at all...
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 17 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09