advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How open are you with strangers when they ask about your CWD?

1. Question How open are you with strangers when they ask about your CWD?

I have been wondering about this since DD (7) was diagnosed two years ago. Of course, before she had the pump, no one really knew anything unless they saw us checking her or we mentioned it. DD used to be pretty open about it, because she liked the attention. Now, she isn't as open and acts pretty shy about it. I have a friend that I mentioned about strangers asking about her pump, etc. She told me, "Well, it's none of their business." I told her that I feel if I can help educate others more about diabetes, then the better off we all will be. Also, I don't want dd to feel that it is something she needs to hide.

I ask because Sunday I took dd to the restroom after we ate in a local restaurant. I took her in there because she had a dress on and her pump was under her dress. I took her in a stall to enter the carbs. While we were still in the restroom, but not in the stall, a lady noticed her site on her arm. She started asking dd questions about it. The lady seemed to know a little about pumps. At first, dd wasn't saying much, but I encouraged her to talk to the lady. Then, dd talked to her.

The only time dd has said anything much about others' curiousity, she was talking about her classmates. She mentioned that they were nosy when it comes to her checking her BGs (she does this in class right now), etc. I tried to tell her to tell then about it, it will satisfy their curiousity and they will move onto something else.

So, how much do you tell strangers?
    Vonda
    DD#1-9, non-diabetic
    DD#2-7, diagnosed May 26, 2009, on dh's birthday
    Medtronic Minimed-it's purple!
    DS 5, non-diabetic

usually strangers approach me after he's run off to play, so if he is uncomfortable with the extra attention he's not really getting it. He's only 5 and right now it's cool to be a little different.
    Most of the time the strangers approach because they know someone with type 1. They ask how long he's had it and how he's doing. I live in hippydippyville so every once in awhile I get a dumb comment so I correct them and pretty much shut down the conversation to prevent more "have you tried xyz/heard of this naturopath?".

Alison, mama to Tony (6 years old), diagnosed 5/10/07 at 20 months old on MDI, lantus and novolog. He also has hypotonia and developmental delays
    Gemma Lynn 9/04/08-tested for trialnet 8/10 results negative

I've changed a lot in the years we've had diabetes. Early on I felt that I needed to explain, but now I take my cue from DS who positively would never want to talk to a stranger about it. We will answer "he has diabetes" and then we'll walk away. I just have decided that it's no more their business than what color my underwear is.

My dd has always been very open about diabetes. There's nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to hide. It's not her fault and she did nothing to cause it. She sees it as an opportunity to educate people and usually no one is rude about it, just curious. Most people don't really understand the difference in Type 1 and Type 2.

She has spoken at a college several times to 1st and 2nd year nursing students and they've said they learned more from her than from their course on diabetes. She's also been the speaker many times at different organizations such as Kiwanas or Lions Club, etc. to raise awareness for Type 1.

I guess if she was shy about it then she wouldn't want to talk about it. IDK, the way I see it is it's her diabetes, not mine. She has every right to handle it as she wants. I can guide her or make suggestions but I would never force her to do anything she's not comfortable with. She has to live with it and manage it for the rest of her life. I want to give her all the knowledge and tools I can to do that without me.
    Kristi,
    Tired & busy mom to 3 teens
    Matthew - age 21
    twins: Christopher - age 17
    Type I Katie Jane - age 17
    dx 2-13-07, pumping w/Cozmo
    Shots - age 5, diabetic alert dog

www.lildotspot.com

Depends on my mood. Alot of people will see Kaylee's pump on her waist and say "Oh look at her cell phone!" Sometimes I will say, no it's an insulin pump, and sometimes I will just smile and walk away.

I never hide my daughters D. I will test her everywhere and anywhere, and if people don't like it, I don't really care. This is, of course, because she is young and doesn't have any privacy issues, as of yet. Things might change when she gets older. If people see me testing her and ask questions, I am more than happy to answer and explain that she has type 1 diabetes.
    Katie
    Proud mommy to Kaylee Ann, 4 (dx 6/13/2009, day after her first bday) Pumping MM revel 9/15 (Humalog), MIO
    and Tommy, 2 (non-D)

Quote Originally Posted by frizzyrazzy View Post
    I've changed a lot in the years we've had diabetes. Early on I felt that I needed to explain, but now I take my cue from DS who positively would never want to talk to a stranger about it. We will answer "he has diabetes" and then we'll walk away. I just have decided that it's no more their business than what color my underwear is.
    This is how I feel about it too, especially if the stranger is an adult. If I get a "what's that?" in regards to her pump, I'll just say it's an insulin pump and ease my way out. I don't go up to other people and ask why they have a cane, or are in a wheelchair. I still believe in boundaries.

I take the cues from my son. For the moment he seems not to care too much if others know about it and ask questions, so we're open about it. Once I notice he's not comfortable with it, I'll respect that.
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Kind of depends on where it is. I would not want my younge child telling every living stranger that is nosey enough to ask that child so much about themselves. Unless it where at school, church, or a family/freinds event, or at her dance clases.

Yes we need to educate, but there i a time and place ecspecially with a younge child. I know that my dd is younger, but if we are at a public playground and she is at the far end playing without me and I saw an adult having a conversation with her I would go and check it out. Now manybe I am paranoid, but adults should be having conversations with younge children that thay do not know unless the parents of that child are aware of it.

Wierdo's out there will use any way to get a kid to open up and feel comforatble. I guess I would ask my child to direct the person to me, the adult if they aare that curious.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

I think you need to take your cue from your daughter. She has no obligation to educate people. If she doesn't want to share her personal information, then don't. Maybe the two of you could come up with a very brief reply to use when in public.
    Mom to Lauren, age 15 dx'd 1/06
    Pumping MM Revel
    Brother 17, no D
    Brother 20, no D

Quote Originally Posted by frizzyrazzy View Post
    I felt the need to explain to everyone when we were first diagnosed last summer. But my son is very shy and very private, and I have come to feel that he has a right to his privacy. The only people who really need to know anything are people who are responsible for his care.
    12 year old son T1 diagnosed @ age 10, July 16 2010
    MDI: Humalog & Lantus

Home schooling my son for the first time this year.

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity". Gilda Radner, 1946-1989