advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your child test in class?

Default Does your child test in class?

Hi all,

We are new to the forum and my DS(8) was dx'ed with Type 1 on March 30th. We are still working out the kinks with school and he is in a very strong honeymoon at the moment so his BG's are all over the place while we constantly adjust his insulin and add in snacks, etc.

My question is: does your child check themselves in class or do they go to the nurse? Currently my DS is going to the nurse but he is usually in there at least 2x/day. I was thinking it would help if he could check himself in the classroom and treat as needed so he's not missing all that class time. Obviously, he would still go the nurse at lunchtime for a check and his insulin shot. He currently is independent with his checks but not his injections.

My other question is what kind of meter and lancet does your child use in class if that is the case? I bought him a one touch ultra mini and then I was going to try the multiclix lancet since he won't have a sharps container in class. Does anyone have experience with these? We currently use a one touch ultra meter at home so we have the strips etc. He also currently uses the Delica pen but has to deal with the sharps with that one.

Any info anyone has would be appreciated. Even though we are so newly diagnosed and I don't understand the terminology in a lot of the posts this forum has been great as we try to learn more.

Thanks!
    Mom to DS, 11
    Diagnosed 3/2011 with Type 1
    Pump: MM Revel 12/2011, Omnipod 3/2013
    MM CGM 3/2012, Dexcom G4 3/2013

Hi and welcome

Maddie started testing and treating in the classroom in 3rd grade. We never got much push back from school about a sharps container, though I did equip her classroom box with one. We use the freestyle lite meter and it's lancer, but Maddie does a lot of alternate site testing ( uses her forearm) and that lancer just works well for our needs. Many folks use and rave about the multi-clix as being the least painful lancer on the market. And while we don't like the amount of blood the One-touch meters require, many, many people use and like them.

The biggest issue most people encounter when it comes to in classroom testing is the "issue" of sharps. Reminding the administration that there are many sharp objects already in use in the classroom, staples, thumb tacks, scissors, etc., can help. And is the issue is blood or "bodily fluids" you can inquire as to the school policy on nose blowing, scab picking, band-aid disposal, menstruation, and the ever popular nose picking

Be nice, be firm, be prepared and hopefully your school will be supportive. Also you can check the ADA web site and look up the specific laws in your state concerning D kids and school and self-care.

Good luck!
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

My daughter, Hana, has always tested in the classroom since diagnosis last year in 3rd grade. It was never an issue. The only time she checks in the nurses is at lunch time when she goes down there for the nurse to oversee her insulin via pump.
    She doesn't change the lancet after each use so we don't need a sharps container in the classroom - we just do it at home (or if it really needed changing, she could do it in the nurses office).
    The goal is for them to be in the classroom as much as possible and minimize time outside the class and trips to the nurse. Our CDE was adamant that she not leave the classroom for BS checks and our school was fine with it. But we have 11 kids in our school district with T1, so they are quite use to this in our schools and we met not resistance with anything.

My son just began testing in the classroom this year. He was dx four years ago and he is 11 now. He just didn't want to deal with the other kids, questions, etc. and was more comfortable going to the nurses office so that is what we did. He did miss some classroom time but his grades were good. It was more important for him to feel comfortable. Since you are fairly newly diagnosed, I would ask your son what he wants to do.

We did not have any problems with the school regarding the sharps container in his classroom this year or testing. My son uses the One Touch Delica.
    Son dx 2007, Pumping 2007
    Cgms 2008 Minimed Revel Pump 2010
    6mm Mios

DD was dx'd in the summer before starting 5th grade. We had to fight the school, but she has always tested in the classroom.

We have always used the Multiclix. Besides being more comfortable to use, we don't have to worry about sharps disposal. DD puts used test strips in the zipper compartment of her meter case, & we dispose of them at home. Each morning we put a cotton ball inside the meter case, for wiping excess blood after testing.

Accu chek will send you a free Multiclix if you call & tell them you're interested in trying it. 1-800-858-8072
    Mom to 15 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.

My son started testing in the classroom in 2nd grade. I didn't change out the lancet except perhaps once a week, so the sharps issue wasn't a problem. After a while, he started carrying the meter with him at all times.

Which state are you in?
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Hi and welcome...

My daughter started testing in class in 2nd grade, and now in 4th does all testing except for lunch right in class. She is in a portable classroom, so if she needs the nurse, she calls and they will either tell her what to do or come to her. We all decided it was time for her to stop going to the nurse because of the amount of class time she was missing. She has all her supplies in class, and carries a small bag to specials. Our 504 states she can test/treat anywhere on campus.

We use the Multiclix, we're very happy with it. I like the fact it's self contained, we don't have to deal with sharps. As for meter, we use the OneTouch Ping because it works with our pump.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

My son has always gone to the nurses office to test throughout the years (he's in 3rd grade) - usually it's right before recess and lunch, and occasionally after lunch if he feels a low (usually, another kid from class will walk with him to the office if he feels low). This has worked out fine for us (and the teachers), but it's interesting to see how many of your kids are testing in the classroom! Hmmmm..I'm sure this is something we'll be thinking about as he gets older - not sure what the school would allow..

Stephanie, Mom of Jacob, age 9
    dx since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnakesmom View Post
    Hmmmm..I'm sure this is something we'll be thinking about as he gets older - not sure what the school would allow..

Stephanie, Mom of Jacob, age 9
    dx since 2005
    My daughter is the same age and tests almost exclusively in class now. It saves on missed learning time (ie. going to/from nurse). If she needs to be treated, the nurse will come to her. She will stop in before/after lunch for check and bolus. Next year she will be going to middle school, so much more responsibility will be required of her, but the nurses have prepped her pretty well. Something you might want to consider, getting him ready for the transition to middle school.

As for the school allowing, don't ask. Tell. Just say, "my son will be testing in class now." It's written in our 504 that she can test anywhere on campus. She carries her kit with her and has everything she needs.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

In the early months after dx my daughter would go to the health office to check. Then she transitioned to testing in class. There was an initial resistance by the school but I remained firm and basically shot down every objection they had (blood, sharps, etc) using logic and facts (see Sarah's post).

As for having a sharps container in class, if you don't change the lancet every single time he tests, why would you need one? Unless your philosophy contradicts this, I don't think there is anything wrong with using the same lancet a few times in a row and changing it when he gets home, especially if it makes things easier for him in the classroom. Just a thought. (I would recommend changing the lancet at least once a day, especially with the finer gauges as they get bent/dull more easily)

Danielle uses the Freestyle meter and the Delica lancer. With the new butterfly test strips, there is only a tiny bit of blood required.

Good luck...
    Last edited by Christopher; 05-04-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Humalog and Levemir)