advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What determines the type of insulin a person receives?

Default What determines the type of insulin a person receives?

I am curious...my son was put on novolog and lantus at dx. Many others here are started on other types... I wonder if anything in particular determines which type/regimen a person is started on? Is it just the doctor's preference?
    Robbie, mom to 5- 4 boys, 1 girl
    Josh (10)~DX T1 & hashimoto's 4/22/10~Omnipod11/23/10 Dexcom 8/11

"Remember how strong you are, even if you don't realize it. How blessed you are, even if you can't see it. How deeply loved you are, even if you can't feel it. These things are always there-waiting, urging you to take them on. Be strong, be blessed, be love, give love, own your own love."

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

I don't believe there is one particular thing that determines it. Probably a combination of the Dr's preference, the Country you live in and maybe the age of the child.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

Jack was placed on NPH/Humalog at diagnosis. I suspect it was because they were trying to limit shots for a child who screamed like a banshee for every one. We moved to Lantus/Humalog within two weeks, as the rigid eating schedule did not work for us.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

When I asked about regular and nph at one point to limit shots at school, our doc said he hadn't prescribed those in 10 years!
    Denise,
    DD age 12, dx at 4 (Oct 2006), MM Jul 2009, Guardian Feb 2010, Omnipod Jul 2012, Dex Jan 2013,
    Dex/Cloud Jul 2014. Also peanut allergic and asthmatic.
    DS age 14, non-D, but peanut allergic and asthamtic too. Also Asperger's, ADHD, and a pinch of OCD.

My dd was started on Humalog/Levemir at our local hospital. We were transferred to a hospital in a nearby city the following day & the endo changed it to Novolog/NPH/Lantus. We weren't happy with the endo practice so we asked our local family dr to oversee things while we researched/located a replacement. She didn't approve of Lantus so she switched us to Novolog/NPH/Levemir.

I think, at least in our area, it's determined by the dr's preference.
    Mom to 16 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.

I think it has almost exclusively to do with two things:

1. What the patent requires from the insulin in terms of coverage
    2. What the prescriber prefers

I was started on R and NPH becuse that's what the doctor had the most experience with... I switched to Lantus and Humalog as soon as I found a doctor who was willing to prescribe them (which was about a year later) - but I had to ask. In the grand scheme of things, I was doing "okay" on R and NPH, but I knew I could do better and I wanted more flexibility, and that's why I switched.

When it came time to request Novolog later when I was pumping, and two years ago when I switched to Apidra, I had to ask, but I didn't encounter any resistance - likely because I was experiencing problems that were related to the insulin I was on.
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

We were told that our hospital alternates between humalog/novolog monthly.

We were shown two different regimen charts- Lantus/log & Lantus/log/NPH. The CDE asked us a bunch of questions and then made a recommendation on which she thought would work best for us. I guess the decision was technically ours to make, but we were truly too shell-shocked to make an informed decision and just went with what she said to do.
    DD (12) dx'd 2008

MM Revel & CGM: 3/2009 - 10/2013

T:slim & Dexcom G4

Thank you for the replies. I wondered if there might be certain scenarios where one might work better than the other...also I wondered if insurance might play a role.
    Robbie, mom to 5- 4 boys, 1 girl
    Josh (10)~DX T1 & hashimoto's 4/22/10~Omnipod11/23/10 Dexcom 8/11

"Remember how strong you are, even if you don't realize it. How blessed you are, even if you can't see it. How deeply loved you are, even if you can't feel it. These things are always there-waiting, urging you to take them on. Be strong, be blessed, be love, give love, own your own love."

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

With us it was what our Insurance would cover.
    "A" mom to: 2 boys.
    Wife of "R"
    "T"-13yrs. old, Dx 10-2-07, pump on 8-21-08, Humalog: ADD Dx 4/2007 : Guardian CGM 9/29/10
    "E"-10yrs. old Non-D, Asthma

"Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take. But by the moments that take our breathe away."
    "God doesn't give us what we can't handle. God helps us handle what we are given."

In our case, both Novolog & Humalog were covered at the same co-pay. NPH was the same price. Lantus was the highest co-pay.

The endo we had at the time told us all kids were placed on the same regimen...our first clue that she wasn't going to last long.
    Mom to 16 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.