advertisement

Thread: Sugar scrub

Default Sugar scrub

My niece asked me today if my CWD would absorb sugar scrub (like a skin treatment like a salt scrub) into her system. I am not sure, but it seems like it wouldn't absorb. Does anyone know?

She is making gift baskets with some home made spa items and wanted to know if that would be OK. I was so impressed she thought to ask about it.

Barb,Mom of:
    11yo DD T1D, DX 12/26/09 and 16yo DD with ADHD ~ Grandma to Joanie the "pump" cat and Latte the Chocolate Lab...too busy to be a DAD.

Purple MM and Dexcom CGM in August of 2010.

I read some where that diabetics shouldn't use the sugar scrubs because it could be absorbed, especially if they were bathing and using it (as opposed to a shower) this was when the sugar scrubs started coming out because the salt scrubs were drying to the skin. Just thought I would throw what I know...... which isn't much.
    Maria Mom to
    Paige age 13 going on 30

Mallory age 8 mosaic Turner Syndrome... 20wks gest.
    Triple X Syndrome20wks gest.
    Psoriasis age 3
    Hypothyroidism age 5
    Type 1 diagnosed 3/25/11

On humalog and levemir 4 units

I would think not.
    Mom to 2 boys (9 and 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Cgms
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mommymaul View Post
    I read some where that diabetics shouldn't use the sugar scrubs because it could be absorbed, especially if they were bathing and using it (as opposed to a shower) this was when the sugar scrubs started coming out because the salt scrubs were drying to the skin. Just thought I would throw what I know...... which isn't much.
    Yeah you can use it to scrub your feet, but don't sit / soak it in the water with it as it could cause a yeast infection. (I think this could be true for any female)
    young adult w. type 1
    Pumping Since Aug 2005
    currently pumping with Medtronic Veo (with CGM as much as possible)

I've never heard of a sugar scrub before but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem unless the sugar scrub comes into contact with an open wound or a cut. Or, if it leaves sugar on the skin, and then the person does a shot through the skin- although I would still expect that to put in so little sugar as to make no difference.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't think about it possibly causing a yeast infection if you sit in water with it, but it makes sense.

Barb,Mom of:
    11yo DD T1D, DX 12/26/09 and 16yo DD with ADHD ~ Grandma to Joanie the "pump" cat and Latte the Chocolate Lab...too busy to be a DAD.

Purple MM and Dexcom CGM in August of 2010.

I've used sugar scrubs myself for many years and have never had any medical issues. I keep it in the tub and Isaac's used it and we've never had a problem. I think that glucose is too large of a molecule to be absorbed through our awesome barrier (skin) so it's not such an issue in terms of BG, but it's a great sweet addition to a bath or a shower
    Sarah
    wife to TJ (t1d for 20yrs) MDI lantus/humalog
    mother to Ethan (non-d) 8 years old
    and Isaac (dx 11/09 at 19 months old) 6 years old, pumping on MM Revel (6wks post dx) with Novolog and Dexcom G4 (love it!!!)
    ~dx with Celiac Disease July 2013