advertisement

Thread: First flight since pump start -- does the Omnipod set off the metal detector?

Question First flight since pump start -- does the Omnipod set off the metal detector?

We haven't flown since last year at this time, when DD was on MDI.

Those of you who use the pod:

Have you gone through the metal detector with the pod (Omnipod told me this was okay)? Does the pod set off the metal detectors?

Have you gone through the body scanners (Omnipod told me this was okay)? Does wearing the pod mean that you then must then be pat down?

TIA.
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

We have travelled numerous times since Hana has had the POD. It didn't set off the metal detector.
    We've had no issues traveling. I don't even mention that she has the pump on. So far so good. We are flying on Saturday and not sure how it will go. Not all airports have those full body scans and I'm pretty sure where we are flying out of doesn't.

Not that I have ever seen. We mention that he has a medical device and they almost always ignore us.

EDIT: The last trip 10 YO went through full body scan w/o any issues.

The pod is a no issues travel.

I even had a pelican case chock full of supplies and they never even mentioned it.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 14.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

No. Anymore we just put all supplies through the scanner, walk through the metal detector, and don't declare anything. We haven't encountered one of those body scanners yet.
    Chuck
    Husband of Mary
    Father of
    Chris, 14, Dxd 2007, Apidra Omnipod, Dexcom
    Sarah, 18 non D

I would imagine that as long as you have your prescription or your insulin is in the original container with the pharmaceutical pre-printed label on it, in case they do ask a few questions, you should be fine. I think this pertains more to trips overseas then domestic flights.

If we were flying, I would probably take MDI supplies as well as your spare pods just in case your supply of pods have issues or your PDM dies or is lost or damaged. MDI supplies means needles, even pen needles and that could be a problem if you do not have your prescription or equivalent with you.

Have a safe trip!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    14 year old son Jeremy Dx Type 1 Dec 15th 2009.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Omnipod - November 1st 2010
    Dexcom - April 18th 2011
    ------------------------------------------------

Shouldn't be a problem. We have never set off the metal detector. Never had a problem with her supplies going through security either they even let us in with a box of juice.
    The worst thing that we experienced was when security in the Philippines patted her down without any warning... shouted across the detectors (I was on one side, dd was on the other side) asking what the pump was while her hands were close to dd's bum. But that was to be expected there.

We have more problems with the baby's supplies!
    ~Ivy
    Mommy to 3 princesses & 1 prince
    ~K (dd3) diagnosed 4/17/10 at 6 years 4 months.
    Pink MM 722 Nov. 24, '10 w/ novolog
    Pink MM 523 April 22, '11 w/ novolog
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

My daughter wears hers on her arm. One TSA agent did ask her what it was, she said her pump and they waived her on.

We put all her extra supplies in the carry ons and have never had an issue. We do keep the boxes with the prescription labels and we have a travel letter from her Endo that states she needs it but we have never been asked to show them.
    Mom to Madison (18)
    dxd 8/5/09
    Omnipod pump using Novalog 4/10
    Dexcom 3/13

Thanks, having seen the YouTube video of the 6-year old being patted down by TSA, and knowing that we're flying out of O'Hare where they use the full body scanners, its good to know that the pod shouldn't set off the metal detectors or present a problem with the scanners.
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

We made the mistake of telling them that he was wearing an insulin pump. Perhaps they were just training someone in, but we got pulled over and DS had to touch his pod (belly) and then apply a powder that supposedly detects any bomb chemicals. Not a big deal and thankfully we had ample time before our flight. After that experience, we just kept our mouths shut going through security and we didn't have any issues. We did, however, keep all of our DM paraphanelia in our blue JDRF bag which probably did the speaking for us.

Our plane even got hit by lightening at the OHare and his pod didn't alarm. DS and my husband had a wing seat and witnessed the whole wing light up! We were holding our breathe but all went well. Praise the Lord!
    Parents of:
    8yo son
    Diagnosed DM1 Oct 5, 2010 at 6.5yo
    Omnipod pumping Dec 14, 2010

Dexcom CGMing Oct 30, 2011
    Waterskiing since 2.5 yo!

9yo daughter
    A great supporter of her little bro!

"Your strength will come from settling down in complte dependence on Me." Isaiah 30:15