advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I:C ratios change from MDI to Pump?

Default Do I:C ratios change from MDI to Pump?

Our MDI I:C ratio was 1:60. They have us at 1:40 for our pump. Of course this all depends on certain D's and their own behavior. Just trying to get an idea of what others have done.

By the way, we have not had a decent BG yet. We are losing our minds! Errrrrrrr
    Last edited by frosteboy; 03-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Rob, Dad to Cayden 3 years old, Diagnosed October 23, 2010 @ age 2 years 10 months, New Pumper, One Touch Ping!

Yes, ours did. My son needs more insulin pumping than he did on MDI.

When you say you haven't had decent numbers yet, do you mean that he has been high? That's fairly normal for pump start. They usually set basal conservatively so you're not dealing with constant lows, and then bump it up as needed.

It takes a few days/weeks to get it ironed out. Be patient. It's worth it.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

Ours did change when we went to the pump. On MDI Ashleigh's I:C was 1:15, when we started on the pump they initially kept her at 1:15, but then they changed breakfast to 1:12 and kept the rest at 1:15. Recently I increased breakfast to 1:10 and increased the rest of the day to 1:12.
    Chris mom to 15 year old Type 1 daughter DX 3/23/10 pumping animas ping

Okay, Good to know. 1:60 to 1:40 seemed like a huge jump to us. We never got an explanation and the training that we recieved, in our opinion, was less then acceptable. We drove four hundred miles (roundtrip) three weeks in a row to our diabetes center.

Cayden's numbers have been high. We changed the I:C ratio and hopefully we will get it down. He takes so little insulin it is hard to tell.

Another thing that is very confusing to us is the IOB. I called animas and talked to somebody that helped me out. Sometimes it will show something like

Carbs + 0.60
    BG + 0.07
    IOB - 0.30
    Total 0.60

It will show a - for IOB but then not subtract it. Animas helped me with that problem.
    Rob, Dad to Cayden 3 years old, Diagnosed October 23, 2010 @ age 2 years 10 months, New Pumper, One Touch Ping!

If his numbers have been across the board high, he likely needs a basal increase. It's impossible to get the bolus ratios right until basal is set correctly.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

Charlies changed. We didn't have a decent blood sugar reading until we started doing basal testing.
    ~Marci~
    Mom to Charlie, 8 years old, diagnosed January 2007
    and Alyssa and little Jax

Quote Originally Posted by frosteboy View Post
    Our MDI I:C ratio was 1:60. They have us at 1:40 for our pump. Of course this all depends on certain D's and their own behavior. Just trying to get an idea of what others have done.

By the way, we have not had a decent BG yet. We are losing our minds! Errrrrrrr
    Ours did, hugely. He went from 13 units of Lantus to over 20 units in novolog with basal, and his I:C ratio went from 1:9 to 1:8. The I:C ratio wasn't a huge change, but he needs a TON more basal via pump than he did on lantus.

I would love to hear some reasoning why this is true, given that it's not just our experience but others as well. Our CDE believes his pump start coincided with an end to honeymoon, but that's just too big a coincidence for me to swallow.

Are you saying that you have not had a good BG level yet since starting pumping?? It took a full and solid 2-3 months for my son to establish good readings after pumping. It was a tough tough pump start for him and he very nearly gave up more than once.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

Ours went the opposite way, Kayla was at 1:20 or 1:25 on MDI and they started her on 1:30 when she started pumping.. she has stayed there.

Amy~ mom to
    Kayla~17 T1 dx 4/24/10 pumping with purple revel 12/22/10
    Noah~14 T1 dx 1/31/11
    and Nick~10, primary immune def (CVID) receives IVIG, asthma

Hang in there. Took us 3 months to get things "down pat"... hahaha, well not really, it's been almost 4 months and we're still constantly making adjustments. But not as much as the first month, nor the 2nd month.

K's I:C almost stayed the same on pump. Total basal now is almost the same as her long acting insulin. To each his/her own!
    ~Ivy
    Mommy to 3 princesses & 1 prince
    ~K (dd3) diagnosed 4/17/10 at 6 years 4 months.
    Pink MM 722 Nov. 24, '10 w/ novolog
    Pink MM 523 April 22, '11 w/ novolog
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

Ryan's I:C went from 1:20 on MDI to 1:25 on the Omnipod. He also went from 7 units of Lantus to 6 units of Humalog for basal.
    Tiffany - Mom to:
    Drew - 8 - non-D
    Ryan - 6 - T1D dxd 9/8/10
    Dexcom CGM - 10/2010
    Pumping Omnipod - 2/2011

Daughter of T2D
    "Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine." - Ralph Waldo Emerson