advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym class - would you request a certain time?

Default Gym class - would you request a certain time?

Audrey will be in middle school next year, and will have gym class every day. I'm wondering if I should try to request a certain time for gym? Maybe right after breakfast or lunch? The end of the school day would probably be the worst time, since that's when she tends to go lower. Have you found that a certain time worked best for your child, or does it really make much of a difference?
    Tori
    Mom to
    ~Audrey, 14yo, diagnosed with type 1 on 12/11/10, MDI Novalog and Levemir
    ~Andrew, 19yo, college sophomore
    Married to Paul, type 1 since 14yo; Animas Ping with Novolog

Personally I'd just work with whatever time comes up. Fitting D into life, instead of life into D and all that, kwim? Plus it's so much fun trying to figure out how to work things when they don't always go how you want it.

Seriously, no. At what time will your child have gym, btw?
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

We are in the same situation next year and I was wondering the same thing. Ideally, if she had gym early it would be best for her since her BG's are highest after breakfast (work off some of those carbs!), but I will probably just take what we are given . . .
    Diane, celiac (2/11), Mom to Gracie T1D, 11, dx 4/08. Animas Ping 10/08-5/11. Dexcom 6/09-6/11. Purple MM Revel with CGMS since 5/11. Also with multiple food allergies and GI dysfunction. Also mom to Tyler, 15 (ADD) and Austin, 12 (ASD, ADD). Happily married for 17 years.

Gym ended up being no big deal at all. We learned to deal with the class whenever it was offered.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Yes you don't want the end if day gym. My dd had that schedule first year in 6th grade.was pain she was always rushing though the nurses trying to fix that low before getting on bus. After that I talked to them and they never put her on that schedule. Forgot to do it for hs though.
    Frannie Fran Fran

Megan 21
    Sara 17
    dx 9/9/05
    MM Revel 8/10

we don't use CGMS cause we're waiting for the kindler gentler insertion sets-let me know when they get to The States

We won't get her schedule until this summer, so if we're going to do something, now is the time to do it. The last thing I want is for her to get settled in classes, and us realize that the gym time just isn't working and then have her schedule switched around. That would make her feel different.

She is very resistant to having snacks at school, so if gym was at a 'low' time for her consistently, I'm afraid she would either come home low (which scares me) or miss some of gym class regularly to go to the nurses office to test and treat. She is very private about D and is not willing to test in class or in the locker room.

I'm thinking first thing in the morning might be best for her, so I will probably make that request.
    Tori
    Mom to
    ~Audrey, 14yo, diagnosed with type 1 on 12/11/10, MDI Novalog and Levemir
    ~Andrew, 19yo, college sophomore
    Married to Paul, type 1 since 14yo; Animas Ping with Novolog

When we did kayla's 504 meeting for hs this last year we did suggest she not have PE last period.

Amy~ mom to
    Kayla~18 T1 dx 4/24/10 pumping with purple revel 12/22/10
    Noah~15 T1 dx 1/31/11
    and Nick~11, primary immune def (CVID) receives IVIG, asthma

I think it depends on how complicated your Middle School scheduling is. Here it's a strategic exercise. The kids have 3 different math levels, band or orchestra or general music, plus TAG and a rotation of "specials" ... so, picking a PE time might not be possible.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    I think it depends on how complicated your Middle School scheduling is. Here it's a strategic exercise.
    It's the same here, and on top of it, it's rotated quarterly. I know what we will do is set up a basal program based on her PE schedule, probably tweak food ratios, possibly free snack etc. and have that run on those days.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Our nurse spontaneously said to me this year, "Eesh. We really don't want him to ever have PE right before he gets on the bus. I'm going to mention that to Mrs. A."

So the nurse is kind of going to bat for us on this one without us saying anything.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014