advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do for babysitters?

Default What do you guys do for babysitters?

For a kid with Type 1?

Here's our story - both sets of grandparents are not in good health and don't understand insulin or carbs or, we get, "Do you really have to count all of that food?" "Why is she eating candy?" sigh.

I have the school nurse trained and the front office school secretary has diabetes, so she gets it. I have a trained summer nanny. But the in between days during the school year dh and I have to cover.

Here's the next story. My brother in law and his wife want us to go out with them and leave our T1 10 year old alone with their 12 year old and 8 year old, all girls. They want to be out from 5 PM to 10 PM. My 10 year would have to take care of her dinner meal bolus and who knows what else may come up. The 12 year old has no clue about diabetes and doesn't want to know, looks away when Catie tests because she's afraid of needles. The brother in law is clueless. His wife was recently dx with Type 2 and can test but has no clue about counting carbs/taking insulin. The brother in law looks at us weird when he sees us struggling to guess at the high carb dessert he made, asks, "whats the point of getting the pump when you still have to count carbs?" Big Duh...so we're going to tell him that we both can't go out and leave Catie with the other kids. There is no way.

Babysitters, stupid relatives, how do you handle these?

Catie age 10, dx 6/19/09 Animas Ping in pink and yes, it's better than shots.

if I didn't live 2 hours away from you I would say I would baby sit. just thinking would it help type 1 parents if type 1 teens/ siblings of type 1 kids, gave their info to their endo's and they could hand it out to type one families that needed baby sitters ? just a thought
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major

Well, your 10 year old is able to do fingersticks, right?
    Can she bolus herself?

Can you have a friend babysit for the night and just leave guidance when to check and to text you for guidance.

My 14-year-old has been babysitting Emma for a couple of years. Now, Emma's even able to bolus herself and if told when to check, can check herself and even knows what numbers are high or low. So, basic care would be covered. Honestly, I don't worry about the potential extreme issues because the answer would be the same - call 911 and then me.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 13
    Emma - 8 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping!
    as of 9/07
    CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

Our local ADA office offers classes for babysitters to learn about diabetes. My DD's best friend's sister took the class so she can babysit for us. You might want to check with your local ADA office to see if they have a list of babysitters in your area.
    Wendy

Walking to Cure on November 2nd, 2013!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]Mom to McKenna, 13 years old, dx'd 12/7/09 (9 yrs);
    7/6/10; PINGing with Novolog

OUCH I feel your pain!!

What you describe sounds like a big time case of denial and an inability/unwillingness to "get it" - especially with the flip comment about why do the pump if you are still doing carbs.... That would burn my butt

I am sorry that you lack this support. Please know that there are others out there who are willing to be involved with Catie... it may just take some time to find them.
    Kelli
    mom to Mara, age 11, dx 4/4/09, Pumping Animas Ping
    Avery, age 9, non-d
    married 14 years to Terry, one cool guy

DS is 10 and is in charge of his diabetes when we go out. Babysitter knows very little about D except how to treat a low!

I will give DS a specific time to call me. For example, I'll have him call me right before dinner to tell me what his blood sugar is and how much he is having for dinner. I'll confirm on the phone with him what to bolus for. Then I will tell him (and the babysitter) to call me again in 2 hours.

Things were different when DS was a baby with D, but now that he's 10, the babysitter really doesn't need to know much, he can be in charge for an evening.
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. MDI Lantus and Novolog, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 13, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 10, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

you could try contacting a local diabetes camp and see if any of the staff there (usually college kids) need babysitting jobs periodically. Usually they have a list.
    Or you could ask your endo or CDE if they happen to have any teens who are reliable in their practice, many cde's would know which teens are looking for babysitting jobs.

I'm on the most strict side of things - I wouldn't leave 3 kids under 12 alone for that length of time, diabetes or not. Especially when most of that time the kids would be awake and running around the house not listening to the 12 year old. I think it would be different for one 10 year old and a reliable sitter even one who may not be fully D competent - totally different story. A 12 year old..not a reliable sitter D trained or not.

My son is 13. I have left him with his big sister who is 23 for a short while. She went through all the diabetic training at the hospital when we did So we actually have three people in our family trained in his care. Also one of my son's best friends has an older sister who is type 1 since she was a toddler. I would be fine leaving him with her or her parents.

we have always left Molly with her siblings b/c they are trained in glucagon and are able to count carbs with her (although Molly is really excellent at this now). Our hospital offers classes for family members and caregivers as well.
    Mom to 4 kiddos:

Cory 19..going to be a soph at IU!
    Kristen 17 nonD
    Hannah 15 nonD
    Molly 13, D dx'd May 13, 2008 Graves disease
    MM 722 pump Novolog
    MIO infusion sets
    current a1c 7.6 (8.0,9.2,8.4,9.0 ,8.2.8.4,8.2,8.1,7.9 previous)
    in the middle of puberty he**!

I know it's hard to leave your kiddo with a new sitter, but you need to push yourself to do this. I agree with Brenda, if you are just going to leave for a few hours, and your child knows how to use her pump, then train the sitter on lows and let them call you for the rest.

I'm afraid if you wait for the fully trained sitter you might not get out of the house enough - and we all need a break.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
    DS is 10 and is in charge of his diabetes when we go out. Babysitter knows very little about D except how to treat a low!

I will give DS a specific time to call me. For example, I'll have him call me right before dinner to tell me what his blood sugar is and how much he is having for dinner. I'll confirm on the phone with him what to bolus for. Then I will tell him (and the babysitter) to call me again in 2 hours.

Things were different when DS was a baby with D, but now that he's 10, the babysitter really doesn't need to know much, he can be in charge for an evening.
    Mom to 3 Great Kids, Oldest DD 13,
    DX Type 1 Jan 2008
    Feb 2011 -- Omnipod and Dexcom
    April 2010 -- MM Revel Pump & MM CGMS
    Jan 2008 -- MM 523 Pump and MM CGMS Apidra