advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celiac and school

For parents of children with diabetes in public school: I just saw this in the news...It may be worthwhile tying to contact the presenter listed below in order to find out how you may do something similar in your school districts. She may be willing to share her presentation materials...

http://www.gfutah.org/

Gluten-Free School Lunch Presentation

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 7:00pm
    Cafeteria at Hillcrest Elementary
    (just South of the University Mall)
    651 E 1400 S, Orem, Utah.

Guest speaker Ilene Carter, Director of Food Services for the Alpine School District, will discuss how to arrange for your child to receive gluten-free lunches. A parent and a cafeteria manager will also share their experiences.

Refreshments provided by Kinnikinnick Foods.
    Meeting is free and open to the public.

Mission Statement:

Utah County Gluten Intolerance Group®, the Salt Lake City Gluten Intolerance Group®, and the Celiac Support Group of Northern Utah are Branches of The Gluten Intolerance Group®, also known as GIG®, and are 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.

Our Mission is to increase awareness by providing accurate, up-to-date information, education and support those with gluten intolerance, celiac disease/dermatitis herpetiformis, their families, health care professionals and the general public in the Greater Utah County, Salt Lake City, and Northern Utah areas. Please read our fact sheet.

These documents might be of help to those that don't home school...

How to create a Health Care Plan for Celiac Disease: http://twincitiesrock.org/documents/HealthCarePlan.pdf
    Celiac Disease Handbook for School Professionals: http://twincitiesrock.org/documents/...orHandbook.pdf

I found these documents here:
    http://twincitiesrock.org/
    Al
    Gluten Intolerance Group of East Central WI Branch Manager
    GFNavigator.org

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

That is a great site! If we are ever back in school, I will have to use that as a reference.

Glad you found them helpful
    Al
    Gluten Intolerance Group of East Central WI Branch Manager
    GFNavigator.org

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

Default celiac and school:

Our school actually provides all of Brandon’s gluten free meals. They dedicated a corner of the cafeteria for him to use, his microwave is there (they put a box over it when he is not using it). They make sure there is gorilla munch individual bag of cereal for him every morning as well as yogurt for breakfast. We get the menu for 3 months at a time; we shop at Henry’s and find suitable substitutions. Everything is done on a purchase order from the school district. This way there is no money exchanging hands. When everyone else is buying ice cream on Friday for the kids fundraisers they have snickers ice cream bars for Brandon to buy. They ordered gluten free pizzas from madwomanfoods.com for him to have everytime they have pizza.

I just provided them with the USDA’s special dietary needs file showing the rules and regulations http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Guidance...tary_needs.pdf and everything was written into his IEP. His school district in Pennsylvania gave everyone that required medicine at a daily basis at school an IEP under other health impairments but this could be put into a 504 plan as well.

We went over everything… including playdoh in the classroom / pastas in the classroom etc. They have to provide model magic for him. They have to make sure there are gluten free crayons, markers, and/or any other craft things that I can’t think of right now. It definitely is something that needs to be watched.

The most important thing I did was contact child nutrition services and have them present at his meeting before school. Once he looked over the rules and regulations in the pdf file on the usda's website he worked with us to implement this purchase order plan for the entire school district.

I remember the first year that Brandon had to eat “My Own Meals”…it was the only food that the district would allow on premises…we couldn’t buy his food and send it in because he could hurt himself…they said he couldn’t heat stuff up unless they purchased it. It all tasted like baby food, and he would cry everyday to not have to eat. It was ridiculous…then I found this and it was opening a new door for him. Now all the kids want what Brandon is having. It does take away about 5-10 minutes of his class time to make his lunch after making sure his sugar is checked, and food is heated but he didn’t have any issues last year.

We correlate the menu to what the school is having.. I do 3 months at a time and make the menu for Brandon based on what they are having. He does have a little leeway in the aspect that if I had spaghetti listed but he wanted lasagna then he could have that...as long as we had it in the freezer at school. It was just important to me to make sure that if everyone else was having Italian then he was having Italian, if everyone else was having asian food then he has asian food. It made a huge difference. And because I am buying 3 months at a time I am able to get a case discount for the school 10% off everything.

Another thought…they make these cookie packs with 2 cookies in them for about .89cents… it helps to have those on hands for emergencies, and our nurse lets us keep cheese sticks and pepperoni slices in the small fridge, also glutano crackers with a jar of peanut butter for emergencies. We also keep 2 boxes of rice bars on hand, crystal light packs for water bottles, hunts pudding snacks, Orville Redenbacher's Popcorn Cakes, Butter Popcorn Cake (mini), Caramel Popcorn Cake (mini), Honey Nut Popcorn Cake (mini) ,Apple Cinnamon Popcorn Cake (mini), Butter Popcorn Cake (reg), Caramel Popcorn Cake (reg), for snacks, and for that off time that he really needs a snack after a low or after gym. I supply these to have on hand for last minute parties or snacks.

As always I double check with each manufacturer before putting everything in the boxes to make sure that it is safe and I send a whole box in for just in case.

Last year I sat down with my son's teacher and asked her to help me figure out how we could deal with this same situation so Jonah wouldn't feel left out. We had just moved to Utah and there were 33 kids in his class so I knew there would be a lot of bday parties. She came up with the idea (because really with that many kids it would help anyway) to have all the birthdays of each month on the first friday at 2. It was so nice because I could just pull a gf cupcake out of the freezer and it would be perfectly ready for him by 2. Maybe your school would be ok with something like that.
    Mom to Jonah, 9, dx'd Diabetes 2-14-01 Celiac 3-8-06

EEK I just saw the gfutah thing and I'm glad I did. Our district (in Utah) says they won't provide gluten free lunches for us.
    Mom to Jonah, 9, dx'd Diabetes 2-14-01 Celiac 3-8-06

Laura,
    They can't deny you. It is the law, look at the usda's website.

Thank you very much for all the information. I have been worried about the upcoming school year, also. Our daughter starts first grade. Last year she was in half day kindergarten and was home for lunch. Her teacher last year was great about letting me know about treats coming in and we tried to always make sure we had something special for Alana.
    Mireille
    mom of Alana 7 years old d'xd 12/8/04 pumping 4/24/06 d'xd Celiac 11/3/06

www.Alana-MireilleApparel.com
    We are dedicated to providing children with Type 1 Diabetes, using an insulin pump, clothing that will let them be cute, fun loving and fashionable!

Red face

I have taken a half a dozen frozen gluten free cupcakes and gluten free frosting into the school for my daughter. They keep them frozen in the staff room freezer, and if someone brings in treats for birthdays ect. they defrost one for her and put the frosting on and its ready to go. This way the school does not have to contact me every time something is brought in.