advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New - What are normal blood sugar levels for 6 year old?

Unhappy New - What are normal blood sugar levels for 6 year old?

I took my son into the doctor's office today because he was seeing double. When they tested his blood sugar, it was 201. The doctor said this was pretty high. They are having me monitor him over the weekend and gather data while we wait for blood test results. At 3pm, he was 156 and before bed, he was 100. I can't seem to find any reliable data on what is normal range and what is out of range. I'm frustrated. Is it different then adult normal ranges? Can anyone help? Thank you!

Unfortunately those numbers are a bit high. Normal can vary for lots of reasons but is somewhere in the range of 70 to 135 with it typically being under 100.

So that's the bad news, the good news, if there is any, is you've noticed something not quite right before you started seeing numbers much higher than that.
    Tom
    Father of:
    L - 13
    O - 10
    E - 8
    --- DX on 20 Apr 2009, NovoLog & NPH
    --- MM Paradigm 522 started 18 Aug 2009 - NovoLog
    --- Dexcom G4 Platinum started 9 Sep 2014
    S - 5
    Husband to my amazing wife E

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSix View Post
    I took my son into the doctor's office today because he was seeing double. When they tested his blood sugar, it was 201. The doctor said this was pretty high. They are having me monitor him over the weekend and gather data while we wait for blood test results. At 3pm, he was 156 and before bed, he was 100. I can't seem to find any reliable data on what is normal range and what is out of range. I'm frustrated. Is it different then adult normal ranges? Can anyone help? Thank you!
    The 100 is normal. The 156 is on the high side, the 201 is very high.

Stay in touch with your doctor to figure out what is causing this.

Proud Dad of Amy (18), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (13); very happy husband of Shirla!

Thank you for the responses. Would anything other then Diabetes cause this?

You might want to have a look at this thread.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...ad.php?t=41398
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Oh gosh, I hope you don't think I'm trying to have you guys diagnose him or that I'm that new user (this is my first post!) that is saying my kid might have Diabetes! But I suppose you can't take my word for it. Actually, before I left the doctor's office, I asked him what could cause this other then Diabetes and he said "it's either Diabetes or it's not" which I took to mean that was the only diagnosis he was considering. I just can't stand the not knowing part. He did say he'd call me Saturday if he got the results in on Saturday which he said he sometimes does.

I think I was confused by the comment to stay in touch with my doctor and find out what the cause was. I thought the causes of Diabetes are unknown so I'm not clear on what that meant.

Where did all those readings come from a blood a blood draw sent to a lab or a blood glucose meter ? If so do you have a meter at home ?
    young adult w. type 1
    Pumping Since Aug 2005
    currently pumping with Medtronic Veo (with CGM as much as possible)

All the readings were from one of those hand held devices. The 201 was done at the doctors office and the other two were done by me. They sent me home with a One Touch. I just took his reading first thing in the morning and it was 93 which I'm thinking is good but isn't there a chart somewhere on some medical website that lists blood sugar ranges for 6 year olds? They also took 4 or 5 vials of blood but I forgot to ask what they were testing for. I brought him in because he said he was seeing double and blurry and I was worried that it was something neurological. When the conversation turned to Diabetes, I was sort of thrown off course and I wasn't 'on top of my game'. Usually, I ask a lot of questions. Plus, they had a hard time drawing his blood and it was very hard to watch as they kept shifting the needle around and then he was crying and they had to hold him down. I think my brain just burnt out so I have no idea what tests their running!

Hi, Sorry you are dealing with all of this. 93 is a good morning number but that is the way it works when a child's pancreas is starting to give out. After meal numbers and towards the evening numbers get worse first and then the pancreas has a nice break all night long so they wake up in good range.

I don't think there is a "normal" 6 year old range. Normal numbers are the same for just about everyone, maybe babies might be different but I don't know. My 12 year old was just dx on 1/31 based off antibodies (probably part of what the blood they took will look for) higher after meal numbers and just slightly elevated fasting numbers. He hasn't started insulin yet so that might be what you are looking at too. Just watching and waiting.

Keep us posted and I really hope the answer is that he doesn't have diabetes.

Amy~ mom to
    Kayla~18 T1 dx 4/24/10 pumping with purple revel 12/22/10
    Noah~15 T1 dx 1/31/11
    and Nick~11, primary immune def (CVID) receives IVIG, asthma