advertisement

Thread: Pizza that works

Default Pizza that works

We have tried a variety of pizzas and none of them works - we always get an extended high that lasts for many hours and then re-surges again after breakfast. I tried making pizza on english muffins with no fat cheese but that too caused the problem.

After thinking about pizza and pasta I decided that it was probably not only the fat in the crust and cheese but the density of the bread (and cheese) that was causing the problems. I could just imagine a chewed lump of dough and cheese sitting in dd's stomach resisting being digested until the insulin was gone.

So I experimented. Bread alone caused no problem. Low fat cheese sticks alone caused no problem. And various tomato sauces in meals caused no problems.

Next, I made "pizza" by cutting the softest, fluffiest, and sweetest, dinner rolls I could find in half and using them as the base of the pizza. I used King's Hawaiian dinner rolls, strips of low fat string cheese and squeeze pizza sauce. My dd and son liked them well enough and were please to get any kind of pizza - and no high at all. They worked great in terms of BG numbers. 'course the cheese did not melt nicely.

The third time we made them I used part-skim shredded mozzarella. I also pushed all the rolls together on the tray so that they looked like one large square pizza. Still had great numbers and the cheese melted nicely. My dd ate about four of them for a total of about 37 carbs. ( We also included juice to alter the glycemic index of the whole meal)

The only complaint after eating them three times is that the roll is too sweet. Next time I am going to use a more traditional yet fluffy dinner roll.
    Alan father of daughter with T1D born 2/2005
    Diagnosed 9/07/10, MDI,
    Son with T1D born 11/00 diagnosed 7/1/14

How about pizza SOURdough? Is this doable? I guess it is.

We don't really have trouble with regular pizza, since the kids usually eat 1 to 1.5 slices of it, but we have crappy numbers after PIzza-Hut pan pizza - darn thick crust.
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

My dd eats the Amy's vegan pizza (frozen) and gets no spike with that. She has a dairy allergy, so we discovered it looking for a dairy free option, but the side effect of no spike is great, too!
    Diane, celiac (2/11), Mom to Gracie T1D, 11, dx 4/08. Animas Ping 10/08-5/11. Dexcom 6/09-6/11. Purple MM Revel with CGMS since 5/11. Also with multiple food allergies and GI dysfunction. Also mom to Tyler, 15 (ADD) and Austin, 12 (ASD, ADD). Happily married for 17 years.

We just had pizza for the first time since dx this past Tuesday night. My son wanted Pizza Hut pan pizza, and since we had just seen the dietician and the sheet she gave us listed pizza on it, we decided to try it. He has been high ever since. Tuesday night was in the high 300's; Wednesday was high all day again because I wasn't smart enough to put two and two together and allowed him to have a piece for lunch. Today (Thur) I finally figured out that pizza must be food of the devil. He was still high all day today (low to mid 300's). I think we'll try your version of pizza the next time. Thanks!

Have you tried pita pockets? Before DD was dx we would take whole wheat pita pockets...lay flat on cookie sheet (you could try to split in half to get 2 pizzas) smear with a bit of sauce..add toppings. Bake at 425 for 10 min. YUM! We haven't made pizza since dx...she is on a malt-o-meal kick that has me going crazy!
    Allison
    Mom to:
    Olivia (age 11) dx'd 8/26/11 - 8 yrs old Pink Ping 2/24/12 Dexcom G4 3/24/14
    John (age 5) nonD

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thankfully, God knew my plans were to visit Holland...not Italy!

Update: Well, in the OP I said that my daughter liked the pizza on dinner rolls "well enough". Well, "well enough" just is not good enough to do this regularly. The kids asked to have real pizza. Since then my DD has started eating Lean Cuisine four cheese pizza and it works really good too. Being a pre-packaged item we also know exactly how many carbs are in a serving.
    Alan father of daughter with T1D born 2/2005
    Diagnosed 9/07/10, MDI,
    Son with T1D born 11/00 diagnosed 7/1/14

My son likes when I make "pizza" with the Joseph's brand Pitas. I brush the pita with garlic butter and brown it a little in a pan. Then I add the sauce and cheese and bake it until the cheese melts. He loves these as much as regular pizza.

We had never had a problem with pizza until we went on the pump. Now, regular pizza causes crazy highs!

Glad to read you found pizza that works for your daughter. It's all about adjusting what they love to be what works for their bodies now.

Another pizza idea...use "flatout bread"...we use the multigrain with flax 17g of carbs...8 g fiber! Add sauce and cheese and any other goodies. Bake for 10 min @ 425. yummy!
    Allison
    Mom to:
    Olivia (age 11) dx'd 8/26/11 - 8 yrs old Pink Ping 2/24/12 Dexcom G4 3/24/14
    John (age 5) nonD

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thankfully, God knew my plans were to visit Holland...not Italy!