advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the world of diabetes, I am thankful for ...

Default In the world of diabetes, I am thankful for ...

CGM, which has made an amazing difference for Marissa in catching lows before they became ... unthinkable.

The DRI for its singular pursuit of a biological cure.

The JDRF for its leadership in building a closed loop system (among many other things).

The ADA for its work to keep our kids safe at school (among many other things).

And most importantly, Marissa is happy and healthy after living with type 1 diabetes for over 21 years.
    Jeff Hitchcock - President and Founder, CWD
    Father of Marissa (BSN, RN), now 26, married, and mother, dx'd at 24 months

...a cooperative DD or DS.

This disease not only affects an individual. It affects their whole family and in the case of younger kids, its their parents and caregivers who do the worrying. Having a CWD who checks and boluses without having to be reminded a thousand times, makes life so much easier for everyone.
    Last edited by JeremysDad; 11-24-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added "caregivers". Many CWD rely on caregivers for their D health.
    ------------------------------------------------
    14 year old son Jeremy Dx Type 1 Dec 15th 2009.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Omnipod - November 1st 2010
    Dexcom - April 18th 2011
    ------------------------------------------------

I am thankful for a happy, healthy, and well-adjusted T1 son -- who spends more time thinking about football and his friends than he does about his diabetes. So thankful for the technological advances that lets him be a normal kid!
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. MDI Lantus and Novolog, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 13, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 10, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

I'm actually thankful in a strange way for Diabetes. It's brought people into my life whom I never would have met who I simply can't imagine not knowing! It's helped me learn to be more patient, more kind, and more grateful every day for life, when I can stop and say "hey, our life, even with diabetes, doesn't really suck. It's a pretty good life. " It's made me much more aware of how fragile life can be and how each healthy day is a blessing. It's shown me how each time my son does what every other kid does that I should be thankful because so many kids can't do these things. It's easier to be thankful for little things, like the guy who said "hey, lets make a glucose tablet and make it taste yummy." or the scientist who said "lets make a home glucose meter" or the company that said "a pump skin would be cool." And it's easy to be thankful for the big things, like insulin, and pumps and cgms, and scientists working on cures. Diabetes has given me so many reasons to be thankful, and I know that sounds odd.

And I'd be thankful if it all went away too.

This is lovely Jeff

I am thankful to the man whos tiny daughter had been diagnosed with diabetes who thought it would be a good idea to make a web site for others with children with diabetes, where they could come together and find support and know they werent alone.

Im thankful for everybody here who takes time out of there busy day and offer advice to a stranger and let that person know that they are never alone and that they are ok.

I am thankful for Dr Faustman who works tirelessly to unlock the mysteries of type 1. And to JDRF for their work and research as well. And to the ADA for advocating for our children in school so that they can have the same rights as everyone else

I am thankful for the smaller pen needles that make injections more comfortable for Steven.

I am so very thankful for my brave kid who doesnt hate me even when the shots hurt and after sometimes crying in pain will get up and go find something to be excited and interested about to share with me.
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

I am thankful for the bs meter, my best friend for over 15 years

I am thankful fot the cgms which I hope we will use soon

I am thankful for diabetes camp where my son feel like everyone else

I am thankful that even though my son has had d over 15 years he always says, " it not bad mom, don't worry I can deal with it."
    Joan
    one son 22 non d
    one son 17 diagnosed @ 22mos now on MDI novolog and lantus. Was untethered 2009 with Animas Pump.

I'm thankful for the insulin that keeps my son alive.

I'm thankful for all the people who work to find a cure and ways to make diabetes more managable in the meantime.

I'm thankful for the support and kindness of Colby's teachers.

I'm thankful for everyone in our lives who make an effort to learn more.

I'm thankful for the growth and strength our family has gained through this.

I'm thankful to Colby's friends and sisters who are all supportive and kind and help him stay a light-hearted little boy
    Dana

Colby 9 (diagnosed at age 7, Oct 3'09- Pumping NovoRapid with MM Paradigm Veo & CGM, Jan 31'11)
    Jessica 10
    Lorelei 12

'What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about....'

http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/converter.htm

Well, I could have pretty much copied frizzyrazzy's post because it pretty much says how I feel. I am thankful that I have been able to meet so many great people, two of which I consider very special to me. Even though I really do hate D, I am thankful we are living with it daily because a little over six years ago we almost lost him because of D. I am thankful I have a great kid who does not take care of his D in every little way I would like to see him do but does a tremendous job enduring daily life with D and does make good efforts in learning and managing his diabetes. I am also thankful for how it has taught me to be more patient with things I had trouble with before and has also taught me to appreciate the things I didn't before.
    Martha

Mom of:
    Heather 33
    Erin,27
    Tim,18 dxd Nov. 2004,pumping as of 03/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFkxZ_aqPWE

Easy. I'm thankful for the CWD website.
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by frizzyrazzy View Post
    I'm actually thankful in a strange way for Diabetes. It's brought people into my life whom I never would have met who I simply can't imagine not knowing! It's helped me learn to be more patient, more kind, and more grateful every day for life, when I can stop and say "hey, our life, even with diabetes, doesn't really suck. It's a pretty good life. " It's made me much more aware of how fragile life can be and how each healthy day is a blessing. It's shown me how each time my son does what every other kid does that I should be thankful because so many kids can't do these things. It's easier to be thankful for little things, like the guy who said "hey, lets make a glucose tablet and make it taste yummy." or the scientist who said "lets make a home glucose meter" or the company that said "a pump skin would be cool." And it's easy to be thankful for the big things, like insulin, and pumps and cgms, and scientists working on cures. Diabetes has given me so many reasons to be thankful, and I know that sounds odd.

And I'd be thankful if it all went away too.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank-you Michelle!!!!
    Last edited by lil'Man'sMom; 11-27-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    MJK...12, dx 8-13-07 Omnipod & Dexcom