advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday tips and carb counts

Smile Holiday tips and carb counts

After talking with a newbie in Facebook I wanted to post a thread with carb counts of typical holiday foods and some tips for not just surviving the holiday but enjoying it with your CWD. I know for some of you this may be your first holiday season taking diabetes along to grandmothers house(or wherever you will be spending your time).

My son has always been the type that prefers opening gifts on Christmas and playing with new things and his cousins to paying much attention to eating. Therefore its not been too difficult to manage keeping diabetes in line. I try to get an idea of whats on the menu when we go visiting so I can do some figuring before we get there. When Steven was young I would ask people to not offer him food without asking me first and for them to put bowls of candy, cookies, etc up out of his reach. He is much better at not grabbing handfuls of candy now thankfully

The following are some common foods enjoyed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chanukah (Although I need lots of help for the Chanukah foods please)

Turkey, ham, beef, other meats -- 0 carbs
    Mashed potatoes----1/2 cup,4oz---18
    Au gratin potatoes---1/2 cup---14 carbs
    Yams-------------1/2 cup,2 1/2 oz --19
    Sweet potatoes---1/2 up, 5 1/2 oz--29
    Acorn squash-----1/2 up 3 1/2 oz--9
    Stuffing---1/2 cup--most have 20-25 carbs per serving
    carrots--1/2 cup, sliced, cooked---8 carbs
    peas-------------1/4 cup------5 carbs
    corn----1/2 cup-----19 carbs
    dinner rolls, white---1 oz--- 17 c.
    gravy---2 TBLs----9 carbs
    pickles, olives.----5 small olives----1 carb---1 large pickle---3 carbs
    Cranberry sauce---1/4 cup---27
    Apple, blueberry, cherry pies----1/8 pie, 4 3/4 oz----46 carbs
    pumpkin pie---1/6 of 8 inch pie---42 carbs
    chocolate cream pie---1/6 of 8 inch pie----38
    chocolate fudge---1 oz----20 carbs, Candy kiss---1 kiss---3 carbs
    candy cane---medium 5 1/2 oz--10 carbs.
    Ferrero Rocher candy---1----5 carbs
    sugar cookie----2 1/2 oz----22 carbs.
    Biscotti dipped in chocolate---0.9 oz---15 carbs
    caramel popcorn---2/3 cup---23 carbs
    Cinnamon roll---2 oz---34carbs
    Coffee cake---2 oz---30 carbs
    eggnogg---1/2 cup---17 carbs
    Fruitcake---2.9 oz----54
    Hot cocoa----3TBLs, 1 oz-----24. Swiss Miss makes a diet cocoa that is very chocolatey with only 4 carbs per 6 oz serving.

If you can think of anything that is a regular food on many holiday tables please put it down. We are probably pretty boring in my families as far as what we eat
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

Thanks so much! This is great information!!
    --Kim
    Mom to Hank, born 7/09, diagnosed 10/10
    Animas Ping as of 5/11
    Dex G4 as of 1/13
    Mom to Ella, born 8/11, non-D

Thank you!!!

This is fantastic information. I'm going to print this and put it up on the fridge.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Amy
    mom to
    Julia - 9 Diagnosed T1 3/3/10 (day after her 8th birthday), Diagnosed Celiac 6/10, Diagnosed Hashimotos 11/10
    *and*
    Morgan - 13 Non-D
    Ben - 12 Non-D
    Emily - 10 Non-D
    living on a small farm in Berks County, PA

So nice of you to take the time to post this! Boy, I really could have used this when Daniel was diagnosed. We had to deal with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas in quick succession--and I was lost unless my sister (who has 2 D girls) was around!! I'm still often at a loss and my Calorie King book is always with me!!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

I have a question..what is the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? I did not realize the carb difference would be as much as it is.

Erica
    Daniel's Mom
    Daniel 20 - Diagnosed 8/28/07 at Age 14
    7/7/08 Omnipod
    05/2011 -Back to MDI due to Pod failures Lantus/Novolog
    6/18/13 Minimed Revel 723
    November 2013 - Lantus/Novalog will probably go back on pump soon though for the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel's Mom 1993 View Post
    I have a question..what is the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? I did not realize the carb difference would be as much as it is.
    Im not sure but I think the one that has more carbs are mashed and the other is still in chunks. I was wondering the same thing, if they are actually a different vegetable or if people just call them different things
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Stevens mom View Post
    Im not sure but I think the one that has more carbs are mashed and the other is still in chunks. I was wondering the same thing, if they are actually a different vegetable or if people just call them different things
    They are very different!
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...potatodiff.htm

I've heard that true yams are hard to find here in the states and even stores that advertise "yams" are really selling sweet potatoes...
    ~Jenn

Wife to Jon since 1997
    Son Coby 11): nonD
    Daughter Ella (8): dx'd 12/16/2009
    Pumping Pink Ping 3/2010
    Dexcom 11/2010
    Beginning A1C=10.6
    Last A1C=6.9
    also has Alopecia (dormant at the moment)

NOW SELLING SCENTSY! Ask me about it!
    https://jennharrison.scentsy.us/Home

Thanks, Becky. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated (and I'm printing your list as a quick cheat sheet)!
    Married to dh and Mom to 3 boys (10/96; 3/99; 2/02)
    Ds #2 diagnosed D-T1 5/29/2010
    Novolog
    OmniPod 9/30/11

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and help us going through our first holiday season. Not only will it be handy on the fridge for our use, but having it posted 'in plain sight' will help guests understand all that we have to count when eating and may cut down on some of those questions we don't want to be asked...so we can answer them...so we can get into a discussion...and have to explain why "well, its just a little bit, what difference does it make overall?"...

Thanks again!
    Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17, dx last April

This is so thoughtful, Becky. Anything that makes life with D easier is a blessing!
    Sherry, mom of
    Lilli, 12, non D
    James, 9, non D
    Charlotte, 5, dx'd 2/08 pumping with a purple minimed 522 as of 5/08
    wife of Bill, Grand Poobah
    daughter, sister, aunt, neighbor and mom to type 1s
    Be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi