advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MDIs - How many?

Default MDIs - How many?

On average, how many injections are you doing daily?

I want to throw up just thinking about the fact that my 5-year-old had 6 shots today. I'm truly sick to my stomach. It would have been 7, but by the time he wanted a snack before bed he was so fed up he just wanted a free snack. His legs look AWFUL. He won't let me near his arms or booty (and the dex is in the booty).

The worst part? We get to do it all over again tomorrow! I want a freaking pump BADLY.
    Tiffany - Mom to:
    Drew - 8 - non-D
    Ryan - 6 - T1D dxd 9/8/10
    Dexcom CGM - 10/2010
    Pumping Omnipod - 2/2011

Daughter of T2D
    "Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've counted in the past and some months the average has been 6 but mostly it's around 4-5. The most insulin shots I've counted in one day is 12.
    Today was six.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

When Molly was getting shots she got 4 a day. I just posted this link on another post, but when we were doing MDI, we started using the Insuflon which helped TREMENDOUSLY! It's the next best thing to a pump IMO. It's a little catheter similar to a pump site. Every time you inject, you go into the catheter instead of the skin. You change it out every 3 days. Not sure if you can use Lantus in it. There are mixed opinions about that, but still...it gets rid of at least 3 shots a day.
    It's a bigger needle than a syringe needle, but we just used numbing cream before we inserted it.
    http://www.autocontrol.com/diabetes_...n_catheter.htm

Amber, Mom to Molly,10, dx @ 15mo., pumping, Omnipod, previously Cozmo, and Luke 3.

On a good day? 4 Breakfast,lunch,dinner and Lantus. We have found either no carb or low carb snacks so he doesn't usually have a shot at snack time. On a bad day, it can be 2 or 3 more than that if he needs corrections. But we have had more problems with lows than highs,so there have been more of those damned finger pokes for us. I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

I am afraid, as many as necessary - depending on the type of snack. Using a pen instead of a syringe makes it much more bearable...
    Father of Nephele (13, dx'd on November 14 2007, World Diabetes Day - doing well on MDI) and Constantine (7).

"It is not what we have but what we enjoy that constitutes our abundance" (Epicurus)

If he wants lots of snacks, you could give the snack insulin at the meal and then give the snack 2 hours after the meal. This worked for my son when he was on shots.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

On average 4 times a day but it can be 5 or 6 it just depends on the day.

She averages 6/day. Some days, for whatever reason (wants to eat more, has low a low GI meal, has a fatty meal, a cold, etc.), then she becomes a human pincushion. Sucks..but...
    ~Ivy
    Mommy to 3 princesses & 1 prince
    ~K (dd3) diagnosed 4/17/10 at 6 years 4 months.
    Pink MM 722 Nov. 24, '10 w/ novolog
    Pink MM 523 April 22, '11 w/ novolog
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

Minimum 5. Usually closer to 10. Seventeen year old boys tend to snack. A lot.
    Becky Aussi L'Autre
    Just takin' it all in.
    T
    -T1 Dx 5/2/06 at age 13
    (MDI) CGM - G4 5/13

We are also about an average of 6, but luckily, he doesn't care...just wants to eat...but, I know how you feel...it totally sucks for me...I hate giving him shots...thinking about the pump too...
    Kate

SAHM to Matthew - 8 dx 8/19/2010 id twin to Gavin non-d 8

pumped with the Ping from 2/3/11 to 7/10/12, now pumping with Omnipod and Dexcom 7

Gracie non-d, 6 and Meghan non-d, 4