advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing hair with type 1??

1. Default Losing hair with type 1??

I'm somewhat new here so please bear with me. Our daughter, age 11, was diagnosed in June with type 1. I have noticed recently (in the past few weeks) that she is losing quite a bit of hair. After each shower the shower floor has quite a bit of hair all over it. When she brushes her hair, she is losing a lot. Could this be from the insulin? She has never had this problem before.

Erica
    Daughter Makenna dx 6/10 type 1
    Son, John age 7

We went through the exact same thing! I thought Ashleigh was going to go bald. She would actually plug our drain up with her hair. Several times a week my husband would fish a hair ball out of our shower drain. We asked our endo about it and he said most likely what is going on is that when her BS were high (before diagnosis) she stopped losing her hair. But now that her sugars are in range all the hair that she would have normally lost is all falling out. So it seems like she's losing a ton of hair. We also had her checked for thyroid problems since hair loss is a symptom, but her thyroid levels were fine. Ashleigh's hair loss lasted probably 4 months, but within the past month I haven't noticed it as much.
    Chris mom to 15 year old Type 1 daughter DX 3/23/10 pumping animas ping

it could be from the trauma to her body at diagnosis, if this is it then you will have to increase her protein intake.

Poor baby- could it be stress related?
    17 yr old Zakk
    I am Donna , Zakk's Mom
    Diagnosed Oct 09
    MM Revel, Former CGMS user of MM and Dexcom

Until there is a cure there is Awesome Annie- Diabetic Service Dog (DAD)

We had the same problem for a while after diagnosis. It seemed worse than it was because dd has very long hair! I didn't know about giving the extra protein, wish we had!

Went through the same thing. She was diagnosed last April and she was losing a lot the first two months, still did the third and fourth months but not as much as the 1st two.
    ~Ivy
    Mommy to 3 princesses & 1 prince
    ~K (dd3) diagnosed 4/17/10 at 6 years 4 months.
    Pink MM 722 Nov. 24, '10 w/ novolog
    Pink MM 523 April 22, '11 w/ novolog
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

My daughter's hair went oily after diagnosis and have been since???

Quote Originally Posted by silverqueen06 View Post
    I'm somewhat new here so please bear with me. Our daughter, age 11, was diagnosed in June with type 1. I have noticed recently (in the past few weeks) that she is losing quite a bit of hair. After each shower the shower floor has quite a bit of hair all over it. When she brushes her hair, she is losing a lot. Could this be from the insulin? She has never had this problem before.
    I would get her thyroid levels checked out, just to rule out any thyroid issues.

Or maybe it's just the stress of diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lize View Post
    My daughter's hair went oily after diagnosis and have been since???
    How old is your daughter? Could she be going through hormonal changes?
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Default Ditto

Our lovely long haired blonde, lost so much I was worried also, however oddly enough, I have noticed after about 5 months, she has lost hardly any, as in her clothes aren't covered in it etc, nor the bath or the lux!!

It will improve, take care.

Kind regards

My daughter went through the same thing, it was scary to me, I didn't want to point it out to her. But it stopped within a few months and her thyroid has always been normal.
    Amy
    mom to Hanna,age 16, dxd 2/18/08. Animas ping 9/08-5/12. Medtronic revel and cgm 5/12-3/13. Omnipod 3/13 Novalog; Dexcom 11/13

Josh, 19 non-D
    Rachel 13 non-D
    Eliana 4 non-d
    http://lifeindiabetesland.wordpress.com/