advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So the brand new school nurse says...

Default So the brand new school nurse says...

We have a brand new nurse at the school, and she said to the other 1st grade type 1 "You don't need insulin for your lunch, your blood sugar is fine."

He wasn't low or anything, she just assumed that you only give insulin if BG is high.

To which the first-grade little boy replied "I need insulin before every meal." Thank goodness that 6 year old is smarter than the new nurse and that Amy was there to see it. Sheesh, where do you even start with something like that??
    Type 1 Diabetic since 2001. Minimed 722 with Novolog and CGMS.

Dad of Emma, age 9, diagnosed at 9 months pumping with MM REVEL CGMS and Novolog. She also has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Glomerular Nephritis, Multiple-Autoimmune Complex, along with lots of other stuff that makes doctors shrug and say "I dunno."

Brenden, aka "Rhino" age 14. Starting tailback for Clovis Freshman Academy (had to say it).

Husband of Emmasmom.
    www.toosweetboutique.net

Quote Originally Posted by Brensdad View Post
    Sheesh, where do you even start with something like that??
    Five-oh-four meeting.

Oh. Oh dear. I hope she gets some training, stat.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

Scary. Hope you get her whipped into shape.
    Mom to 3 Great Kids, Oldest DD 13,
    DX Type 1 Jan 2008
    Feb 2011 -- Omnipod and Dexcom
    April 2010 -- MM Revel Pump & MM CGMS
    Jan 2008 -- MM 523 Pump and MM CGMS Apidra

Complain and get her tushie into training ASAP!
    Wanika (35) Wife of Robbie (Spook75)
    Caedence Jan 26-05 (DX Dec 26-07) Pumping with "Pinkie Pie" Ping since March 20th 2009
    Katarina Feb 4-02
    Nicolas Jan 31-96

I would speak to her. Offer to put her through a Type 1 D management boot camp. If she declines, report her.

Proud Dad of Amy (17), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular, and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (12); very happy husband of Shirla!

Eeeeek! That's....wow!
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Wow... Yet, it's these types who are the only ones allowed to give insulin to students in California. Yikes.
    Michael
    A 35-year-old Type 1, diagnosed at age 5 in 1984
    Diabetes Advocate, Writer and Managing Editor at DiabetesMine.

OMG! Once again I am reminded as to how lucky we are with our DD's school and her health assistant. Good luck!
    Wendy

Walking to Cure on November 2nd, 2013!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]Mom to McKenna, 13 years old, dx'd 12/7/09 (9 yrs);
    7/6/10; PINGing with Novolog

Right there with ya. We have a "health aide" not a nurse. She is brand new also and has no experience with diabetes. The district does have a nurse who oversees 5 schools total. She called me to let me know the new aide has no experience and asked that I come in each day at lunch the first few weeks to help train her. The district nurse has been there also..but really.. Are you kidding? We got out of the hospital with this new diagnoses on July 20th. Our school started August 9. And I who just learned what bolus means am supposed to help train a new health aide to care for my son? Ugh. I had to talk with her today because in viewing last weeks school logs, it seems like she's confused on the numbers. She gave him juice to treat a low, when he was not even low, a few times. It's frustrating. I wish you luck!