advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High School and D...need some advice

Default High School and D...need some advice

Hello sources of knowledge!

I want to ask you all what your high-schoolers are required to do for their D at school. This year Morgan's endo wrote orders for Morgan to be independent with all D care at school. She is able to count carbs, administer insulin, correct lows and highs independently. She will go to the nurse if she needs to change something out or if she's under 50 or over 350. The nurse wants her to check in every day after lunch still. The nurse (who was Morgan's nurse in elementary school, is wonderful and like part of our family) say she still needs Morgan's numbers once a day. Morgan does not want to leave lunch early anymore and is very angry. She wants to eat with her friends and has told me that the Doctor wrote the orders, so that's who Debbie needs to argue with. I think this is a little teen-age wing-spreading, and I see both sides. Debbie doesn't want anything happening on her watch, Morgan wants to be normal. Morgan said none of her High School friends from D camp still have to go to the nurse. Is that true?

I'm trying to be diplomatic here...really don't know what to do! On Morgan's side, she has earned her independence. Debbie says she wishes all her D's were like Morgan, but because she's at the school and technically responsible, she needs to be aware of what's going on. Morgan feels like she's being once-again punished because of D.

What do ya'll think?
    Sharon, Mom of 3
    Bailey 18 non-D
    Morgan,17- D (Dx'd age 4)
    Zoe, 12-D, Hashimotos (Dx'd age 8)

Could she phone her numbers into the nurse at lunchtime? Ali

We are moving to independent care this year. My daughter will have to fill out a sheet on a clipboard which is then sent down to the nurse. Our school district requires all of her blood sugars and insulin amounts logged everyday. I don't think she will have to physically visit the nurse, it will be on the honor system.
    Mom to 3 Great Kids, Oldest DD 13,
    DX Type 1 Jan 2008
    Feb 2011 -- Omnipod and Dexcom
    April 2010 -- MM Revel Pump & MM CGMS
    Jan 2008 -- MM 523 Pump and MM CGMS Apidra

I like the log idea! The phone is also a compromise. Morgan can text her numbers to the nurse, which is what we discussed today. However, phones aren't allowed at school, so Morgan is concerned that the cafeteria monitors will get on her and she'll have to explain why she is doing it. Which again..she doesn't want any attention! However, I've told her tough. She has to either go by the nurse, text, or have her 3rd block teacher e-mail the nurse her number before she goes to lunch. I REALLY think this is Morgan wanting to have a say and control over this and not be different for once in her life. I think there are easy solutions (my opinion...not my teenage daughter's) to this. I just wondered if there are any kids out there who don't have to go to the nurse. Morgan's point is, if she only goes to the nurse when she's having an issue, doesn't that mean she is in range if the nurse doesn't see her?
    Sharon, Mom of 3
    Bailey 18 non-D

Nick was completely independent last year (11th grade) and will do the same this year. He only went to the nurse if he was low on supplies and needed a refill from his box. He did not give the nurse his BS readings. I emailed the nurse with his A1C results to let her know he was doing a good job with his care.
    Lisa ~ Mother of Nick (18) ~ Diagnosed 4/1/08
    Lantus/Humalog

Maddie's going into 7th this fall. Last year (first year of middle school) she managed everything on her own as per our orders. Only set foot in the nurses office if her site came out, battery died or cartridge dipped below 20 u.

Maddie would be very unhappy if she needed to check in with the nurse on a regular basis.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Lisa..do you think 15-almost 16- (10th grade) is too young? She is COMPLETELY independent at home, work, etc. I don't know why the nurse is insisting on her readings if the doctor says she can be independent. She'll be 18 when she's a senior!
    Sharon, Mom of 3
    Bailey 18 non-D

Quote Originally Posted by 2type1s View Post
    Lisa..do you think 15-almost 16- (10th grade) is too young? She is COMPLETELY independent at home, work, etc. I don't know why the nurse is insisting on her readings if the doctor says she can be independent. She'll be 18 when she's a senior!
    If she is independent at home, then she knows what she is doing and 10th grade isn't too young. As long as she is willing to ask for help if she needs, I don't see a problem. Nick's first full year of dealing with D was 10th grade. Even then, Nick did all his own carb counting, dosing, etc...,all the nurse did was record his BS and monitor him if he came in for a low.

Nick will be 18 in October and would be really upset if he had to report to the nurse.
    Lisa ~ Mother of Nick (18) ~ Diagnosed 4/1/08
    Lantus/Humalog

Quote Originally Posted by 2type1s View Post
    I don't think she is too young, but I do wonder if there is some district rule that the nurse is following to the letter. The schools have to be so careful now about drugs/liability/zero tolerance, etc. Probably just a cya for her.
    Mom to 3 Great Kids, Oldest DD 13,
    DX Type 1 Jan 2008
    Feb 2011 -- Omnipod and Dexcom
    April 2010 -- MM Revel Pump & MM CGMS
    Jan 2008 -- MM 523 Pump and MM CGMS Apidra

Our nurse has given us paperwork to sign so that our son doesn't have to go to the nurses office to check, etc. I haven't read through it yet, but I believe that it absolves them of any responsibility in case something happens. If you would like to see what it says, pm me and I can email it to you (I really need to read it myself - only 3 weeks until school starts!).
    Caryn
    Mom of Noah 20 non-d
    Drew 17 (dx - 12/05 ), pump break as of 4/13 (previously using Medtronic Revel 12/12 )
    Kyra 13 non-d