advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Itchy Dex tape

Default Help! Itchy Dex tape

Yossi scratched off his sensor yesterday after only 2 days. The tape really seems to bother him. I'm concerned that he may have an allergy to it, although I haven't seen any physical reaction other than itching. Now that we are back up and running on Dexie, I don't want to have to live without it. Does anyone have suggestions???

Oh, its on his arm. I thought we might try his tummy to see if its less bothersome, but I don't have the guts to do it. I've never injected him there before.

Try a bariier wipe, try no alcohol but just a good cleaning with soap and water beforehand, try with alcohol if you are now doing just soap and water, or... Benadryl SPRAY, spray site, let dry completely, proceed as usual...
    Also, cortisone creams after removal will help clear up any nasties from when the site was on...
    Tricia

28, dxd D @ 8 (9/1994)
    Current Diabetes Accessories: Dexcom G4Platinum (6/2013); Animas Ping (again)
    Nurse, trying desperately to become a CDE!!

One thing I've done is take a cold bath before putting on a CGMS site, try to make sure there is no sweat there at all.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Kaylee was having major reactions to the tapes used for sensors. We went and saw an allergist. She says there are no 'true' allergies to adhesives, they irritate, but there is no allergy. We had used every tape we could think of, Kaylee's skin was breaking out, welting and bleeding, it was horrible.. and it stayed that way after we took the sensor and tapes off.. The allergist helped so much.. now, we have NO problems.. this is what we do now, its a little different because she's using MM, so we need tape, where dexcom has tape attached..

We use EMLA, when ready, we wipe off the ELMA, use remover to get any adhesive residue off, wash with soap and water, clean with alcohol, insert sensor, use paper tape to keep sensor in place, I get tough pads to put under the transmitter area.. 1 tough pad I cut into quarters (they are expensive!!), I attach the sensor and put a large piece of HYPAFIX over the entire area.. when its time to remove it I soak the Hypafix with remover, pull off the sensor, transmitter, tapes and tough pad, take another remover and wash the entire area, wash with soap and water, dry and then use cortizone cream over the entire site, then start the process on the other arm.. we use the sensors for 7 days.. before we'd have to give the arm the full 7 days to heal and sometimes it wouldn't even be healed all the way. Now, its amazing, you can't even tell there was a sensor there.. the holes where the sensor actually goes is barely there.. before it was a big, nasty, round, icky circle.

I think the biggest things for us, that made the most improvements are 1, the hypafix tape, its more like a site tape than a plasticy type tape.. the cortizone cream and the remover.. making sure all that adhesive is off the skin.

With the dex you could put down the hypafix and shoot through it, or cut a small hole in the center and aim for that.. so the tape is under the sensor, protecting his skin from the other tape. Also, as soon as we notice the tape starting to peal, we change it out because that will cause itching.. We don't see it a lot with the hypafix, but days where she's outside a lot or swimming definitely cause it to start to peel faster.
    K, 11yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping Since 7/06 w/ MM
    PUMPING w/T:Slim 5/14
    Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Dexcom G4 2/14
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    Kaylee was having major reactions to the tapes used for sensors. We went and saw an allergist. She says there are no 'true' allergies to adhesives, they irritate, but there is no allergy. We had used every tape we could think of, Kaylee's skin was breaking out, welting and bleeding, it was horrible.. and it stayed that way after we took the sensor and tapes off.. The allergist helped so much.. now, we have NO problems.. this is what we do now, its a little different because she's using MM, so we need tape, where dexcom has tape attached..

We use EMLA, when ready, we wipe off the ELMA, use remover to get any adhesive residue off, wash with soap and water, clean with alcohol, insert sensor, use paper tape to keep sensor in place, I get tough pads to put under the transmitter area.. 1 tough pad I cut into quarters (they are expensive!!), I attach the sensor and put a large piece of HYPAFIX over the entire area.. when its time to remove it I soak the Hypafix with remover, pull off the sensor, transmitter, tapes and tough pad, take another remover and wash the entire area, wash with soap and water, dry and then use cortizone cream over the entire site, then start the process on the other arm.. we use the sensors for 7 days.. before we'd have to give the arm the full 7 days to heal and sometimes it wouldn't even be healed all the way. Now, its amazing, you can't even tell there was a sensor there.. the holes where the sensor actually goes is barely there.. before it was a big, nasty, round, icky circle.

I think the biggest things for us, that made the most improvements are 1, the hypafix tape, its more like a site tape than a plasticy type tape.. the cortizone cream and the remover.. making sure all that adhesive is off the skin.

With the dex you could put down the hypafix and shoot through it, or cut a small hole in the center and aim for that.. so the tape is under the sensor, protecting his skin from the other tape. Also, as soon as we notice the tape starting to peal, we change it out because that will cause itching.. We don't see it a lot with the hypafix, but days where she's outside a lot or swimming definitely cause it to start to peel faster.
    Can I ask what hypafix is? We put Tagderm over dex sites when they start to peel and we have a "good" sensor going..but it gets red and itchy and a little swollen soon after..maybe this would help us too?

Great post! Thanks!
    Mom to Mikaila, 11 yo dx 08/09
    Pumping with a pink PING since 2/10 and Dexting since 3/10
    a1c at dx 15.4, 9/09 11.1, 3/10 7.0, 6/10 6.6
    Jordyn 10, trial net testing - neg
    Britt 17

My younger son has horrible allergy to the Dexcom tape. I took him to a dermatologist but nothing they could give him helped. After wearing the Dexcom for 5 days it would be red , weeping skin underneath. Very itchy. They told me that this was a tape allergy. He can wears all other kinds of tape no problem. This is not just being itchy from loose tape. He can have that too. But that goes away. This is red skin , almost looks burned skin takes over three weeks before it goes away where you can not see it. I have tried all types of barrier wipes, using barrier tapes underneath, it would go right through. The only things I have found to help is using J&J Tough Pads under the Dexcom with a hole punched out. But, I think I have discovered something that is cheaper and seems to work better for us. I use two layers of IV3000 with a cut oval of kitchen wax paper between those layers. (I have tried just two layers IV3000 and that did nothing) I then put the dexcom on the two layers of IV3000 with the wax paper in between. I have to punch holes in these first.

PM' me and I can give you more detailed instruction. We are on day 6 and doing well.

I feel your pain
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

Oh. My. Goodness.

The pains we will take to give our kids the best medical care we can. We too have this issue with the DexCom tape (no other tape, even IV3000 is fine UNLESS it's under DexCom. Caleb had been using it for months without any issues and then BAM - his skin looks so awful and it all starts with the "itch".

We have tried several wipes and recently started using Bards which is an improvement, but not a solution. I will try some of these suggestions - and that wax paper idea - wow - I applaud your ingenuity. Thank you all for sharing how you've been able to solve this problem.

Now, here's my question - DexCom - are you listening? Please, please, please, consider changing your adhesive. We love what DexCom does for Caleb's D management, but it should not be at the expense of his skin. This is not an isolated incident. Many people are having this problem. I hear it more and more. We don't want to stop using your product. Bring us back to the days when applying and using DexCom was joyous - not a time of dread and wait and watch and maintenance to see what will happen to our children's skin and do our best to minimize the damage.
    Lorraine

Mom of Caleb, 7 - diagnosed T1 1.3.07 pumping OmniPod 4.24.07 DexCom 09.09, Colin 10 and Lila 4

This is Caleb...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
    Oh. My. Goodness.

The pains we will take to give our kids the best medical care we can. We too have this issue with the DexCom tape (no other tape, even IV3000 is fine UNLESS it's under DexCom. Caleb had been using it for months without any issues and then BAM - his skin looks so awful and it all starts with the "itch".

We have tried several wipes and recently started using Bards which is an improvement, but not a solution. I will try some of these suggestions - and that wax paper idea - wow - I applaud your ingenuity. Thank you all for sharing how you've been able to solve this problem.

Now, here's my question - DexCom - are you listening? Please, please, please, consider changing your adhesive. We love what DexCom does for Caleb's D management, but it should not be at the expense of his skin. This is not an isolated incident. Many people are having this problem. I hear it more and more. We don't want to stop using your product. Bring us back to the days when applying and using DexCom was joyous - not a time of dread and wait and watch and maintenance to see what will happen to our children's skin and do our best to minimize the damage.
    I have also mentioned to Dexcom to pass along a suggestion to make the sensors in two different tape options. Never know if that info is passed along. What is it with their tape. We have no problems with others. You mentioned that you don't have problems with IV3000 unless under Dex. Maybe it is like us that the Dexcom tape stuff goes through the IV3000 because it is breathable?
    My son also used the Dexcom about a month before the allergy happened. The derm said you allergy levels just keep building up like food allergies until your body can't take it anymore.

Just took the Dexcom sensor off(day 7) with the wax paper between the IV3000. He looks pretty good. Skin white except at the center 'circle' where the sensor goes in. Strange but the back of the IV3000, it looks like the wax paper shifted or moved at some point. But , it must have been long enough to stop or absorb the Dexcom glue?

Also, I have heard it mentioned that taking something like Claritin or Zrytec might help. My son is not taking that now.
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by ecs1516 View Post
    My younger son has horrible allergy to the Dexcom tape. I took him to a dermatologist but nothing they could give him helped. After wearing the Dexcom for 5 days it would be red , weeping skin underneath. Very itchy. They told me that this was a tape allergy. He can wears all other kinds of tape no problem. This is not just being itchy from loose tape. He can have that too. But that goes away. This is red skin , almost looks burned skin takes over three weeks before it goes away where you can not see it. I have tried all types of barrier wipes, using barrier tapes underneath, it would go right through. The only things I have found to help is using J&J Tough Pads under the Dexcom with a hole punched out. But, I think I have discovered something that is cheaper and seems to work better for us. I use two layers of IV3000 with a cut oval of kitchen wax paper between those layers. (I have tried just two layers IV3000 and that did nothing) I then put the dexcom on the two layers of IV3000 with the wax paper in between. I have to punch holes in these first.

PM' me and I can give you more detailed instruction. We are on day 6 and doing well.

I feel your pain
    What a great idea!!! Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that today. I dread going another day this summer without our Dex. On one hand, its great that most of his numbers are in range for most of the day. On the other hand, he drops so quickly, we have caught some scary lows.

Quote Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
    What a great idea!!! Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that today. I dread going another day this summer without our Dex. On one hand, its great that most of his numbers are in range for most of the day. On the other hand, he drops so quickly, we have caught some scary lows.
    The Tough Pad was easier to use than the wax paper. You might want to try that first.

I just wish Dexcom would give us another tape option. Would it helped if we all called or wrote a letter? Are they getting the feedback?