advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Middle School--Texting, bolusing etc.

  1. #1

    Question Middle School--Texting, bolusing etc.

    So dd starts middle school in September, which is considerably larger facility than each individual elementary school and the nurses' office is quite a way off from most classrooms.

    I'd like to start using a cell phone so she can text me her sensor numbers and BG numbers and I can communicate with her to treat lows in class. At our first meeting the school tells me "no one" has a cell phone in the middle school. (Well, my older daughter and her six friends all have cell phones and use theirs at lunch etc!)

    We also communicate well by cell phone for summer camp and at sleep-unders.

    1. Anyone else have to fight this battle for cell phone priveleges in school? Any good stategies?

    I'd love to have her bolus the same way (With me on the cell phone) but the nurses are already uncomfortable. (On a side note--I'm not clear why an RN has to oversee a child bolus on a pump --especially if I'm on the phone-- they aren't drawing up a medicine.)

    2. Any 6th graders out there bolus on their own with direction from parents? As it stands, she will be allowed to continue testing wherever she is, and to treat lows. But will need to go to the nurse for bolusing and corrections.

    Giving up a fair bit form elementary school. Want to make sure she has what she needs.

    3. Anyone get to "meet the team" prior to classes and give a "d" talk and answer questions?

    Any additional advice? Thanks!
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    pumps Apidra with MM 530G

  2. #2

    Default

    Do I remember correctly that your DD is in the 10-12 age range (sorry, not from the US so I'm not sure when middle school begins)? I think that absolutely she should be able to bolus without the nurse (with your instruction) if she feels comfortable doing that.

    I was diagnosed in early July, and the school year over here finishes around July 20th. In that first short period after I was diagnosed and before summer vacation began, when I was still a bit unsure on dosing, I would use the phone in the school office to ring the CDE if I needed clarification on anything. If they won't budge on the cellphone thing, perhaps they have phones in the school that she would be able to use? I know that at my school there are phones in most of the classrooms.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

    cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

    twitter @emm142

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    869

    Default

    I think we will be in the same boat as you. My daughter is going to middle school --here its starts in 7th--but in elementary school she would call me with her bg and would bolus while I was on the phone. It worked well for us--no problems.

    Not sure if middle school will allow because they also say no cell phones allowed. But, we also don't have a nurse so not sure how they can enforce her not having anybody to go over things with. The one thing that I am wondering is if it will make Erin uncomfortable to call/txt me since no one is allowed. In elementary, which is considerably smaller, everyone knew her and that she had phone privileges and left her alone. Actually, once or twice a supervisor would question her but she would just tell them she has type 1 and principal's permission. Middle school is so much larger with so many new kids and not sure if she wants everyone knowing her business.

    I have no idea--but I know that I am going to push hard for phone privileges because I don't think she should have to be all alone with this at 12!

    Also, I am going to push to meet teachers before school starts because Erin will test in class and I don't think its fair to Erin or her teachers if they don't know what's going on. The assistant principal said we would talk in Aug. so hopefully we can get it worked out. Thankfully my older daughter just left this school as is very well known with the administrators--she won the principal's award which is the highest honor, so hopefully a little nepotism will come into play.
    Julie (mom to Jessica 18 dx Hashimotos 12-21-10 and Erin 15 dx 2-9-07 pumping humalog in Medtronic Revel

  4. #4

    Default

    Yes, Emma, she is 11. The classes do have phones, but my goal is for her not to draw attention to herself. I thought she could test at the desk she is sitting at and then text me numbers.

    I guess, another good question to ask is: At what point should I be confident that dd can assess her CGM and glucometer info and take appropriate action to raise BG independently of me OKing that decision. Hmm. Not sure I could do that for the whole day.
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    pumps Apidra with MM 530G

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 22jules View Post
    Also, I am going to push to meet teachers before school starts because Erin will test in class and I don't think its fair to Erin or her teachers if they don't know what's going on. The assistant principal said we would talk in Aug. so hopefully we can get it worked out. Thankfully my older daughter just left this school as is very well known with the administrators--she won the principal's award which is the highest honor, so hopefully a little nepotism will come into play.
    Yes, definiteyl use that nepostism card!

    DD has been testing in the classroom since second grade. I've been told she can do that in Middle school, but I hope that the "Culture" there doesn't dictate that she will go to the nurse to check. That's another thing that concerns me. The MS nurse told me all 4 current diabetics at the MS check in the nurses' office and not in class.
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    pumps Apidra with MM 530G

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Billings MT
    Posts
    242

    Default Middle School

    DS is starting Middle School in August. The last week of sixth grade we wrote the use of cell phone for D needs in the 504 plan. We know they have a general policy of "No Use" of phones during class time so we shall see. We also have a Non D daughter who finished school there and for the past 2 years did text from class now and then and used her phone at lunch. That school has D students stop at the nurse throughout the day but also also know they travel to other schools so are not in the office at all times. Our thoughts are to see how the first weeks go to determine what we need to let go and what we need to push for. I'd like to have testing and any needed bolus as well as any treatment of lows be done right in the class. We were really blessed by a great team at the grade school level so hope for more of the same for 7th and 8th.

    Lianne
    Mom to:
    Carly (16) non D
    Reese (14) dx T1 10/21/02 at age 5 MDI Lantus/Hum
    Wife to Bob-love of my life keeps me laughing

  7. #7

    Default

    Maddie has had a cell phone at school since 4th grade and last year (6th grade) she began using it to text me her numbers. She does all her care independent of the nurse: bolusing and correcting and testing whenever and where ever she feels the need. School has been generally not obstructionist but has, down to an individual, met the notion of her having a cell with some suspicion that she would abuse the privilege. I simply insisted that she would not and in time they came to realize that she doesn't even see it as an "abusable" tool ... it's just part of her D bag.

    Good luck. I hope you can modify their way of thinking
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15


    "Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    She does all her care independent of the nurse: bolusing and correcting and testing whenever and where ever she feels the need. . . .
    Good luck. I hope you can modify their way of thinking
    Sarah,

    Does Maddie do her corrections and bolusing independently of you, or do you always oversee them via text?

    I think in our school there is some clause that the kids have to go to the nurses' office to bolus until they are completely managing Diabetes on their own. What I'm not clear on is whether texting me, would consititute her not being independent (if that makes sense).
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    pumps Apidra with MM 530G

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom264 View Post
    Sarah,

    Does Maddie do her corrections and bolusing independently of you, or do you always oversee them via text?

    I think in our school there is some clause that the kids have to go to the nurses' office to bolus until they are completely managing Diabetes on their own. What I'm not clear on is whether texting me, would consititute her not being independent (if that makes sense).
    For run of the mill numbers she does it all on her own ... if she texts me with a 55 going into lunch I'll text back and ask her to check in with me in an hour or so. Also, if she texts a 345 going into lunch I'll reply. She packs lunch, so that helps and she feels her lows so that also provides some comfort.

    Our "rule", such as it is, is that we will be in closer contact (and sometimes that means that she will actually call or I will call her or text her to tell her to call me) if she has a bg that she knows will "concern" me.

    Maddie stopped going to the nurse to bolus in 5th grade. It was a gradual process that started with in-classroom testing and snack and correction bolusing in 3rd grade under the eyes of a shared aid - then independently in 4th with one stop by the nurse at lunch, to 5th and not seeing the nurse at all, to entering Middle school last fall, and moving between classes, carrying her D stuff everywhere and using the cell phone daily.

    Hope that made sense
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15


    "Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTMomma View Post
    DS is starting Middle School in August. The last week of sixth grade we wrote the use of cell phone for D needs in the 504 plan. We know they have a general policy of "No Use" of phones during class time so we shall see. We also have a Non D daughter who finished school there and for the past 2 years did text from class now and then and used her phone at lunch. That school has D students stop at the nurse throughout the day but also also know they travel to other schools so are not in the office at all times. Our thoughts are to see how the first weeks go to determine what we need to let go and what we need to push for. I'd like to have testing and any needed bolus as well as any treatment of lows be done right in the class. We were really blessed by a great team at the grade school level so hope for more of the same for 7th and 8th.
    Great idea to put the cell phone use right in the 504. I like that.

    Dd does testing right in the class already and I think it is a real timesaver.
    Mom to:
    Dd, 15
    pumps Apidra with MM 530G

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •