advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can T1s go Scuba Diving?

Default Can T1s go Scuba Diving?

I keep thinking they can't. That's one thing ~K is very upset about because I told her I don't see it being possible. I'm an avid scuba diver and she's the only one of the three girls who said she'd like to go diving with me.
    ~Ivy
    Mommy to 3 princesses & 1 prince
    ~K (dd3) diagnosed 4/17/10 at 6 years 4 months.
    Pink MM 722 Nov. 24, '10 w/ novolog
    Pink MM 523 April 22, '11 w/ novolog
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

I wouldnt take my 6 year old scuba diving with me...type 1 or not... I like being above the water though..not under it.. Things change so quickly with a type 1 child..they go low very quickly...god for bid she is underwater and cant get to the top safely and quick enough...just things to keep in mind..I wouldnt do it not at her young age and being so recently diagnosed...
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

I believe the answer is yes. I believe you have to be 16 to get certified though.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...p?articleid=18
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

YES THEY CAN!! But, alas, it requires lots of preparation. I've read on adult boards about some of the guidelines D divers use. Like you test right before you go in and you never go down unless you are above a certain target, etc.

It's not for me, and I don't know much abou it, but I have read about other's exeperiences so if it's your thing and your duaghter wants to join, then go to the ADA adult T1 board and ask there. Google it to. It's definitely possible.

http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Forum3830-1.aspx

This is a link to that board. Post a question there.
    Denise,
    DD age 12, dx at 4 (Oct 2006), MM Jul 2009, Guardian Feb 2010, Omnipod Jul 2012, Dex Jan 2013,
    Dex/Cloud Jul 2014. Also peanut allergic and asthmatic.
    DS age 14, non-D, but peanut allergic and asthamtic too. Also Asperger's, ADHD, and a pinch of OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by RosemaryCinNJ View Post
    I wouldnt take my 6 year old scuba diving with me...type 1 or not... I like being above the water though..not under it.. Things change so quickly with a type 1 child..they go low very quickly...god for bid she is underwater and cant get to the top safely and quick enough...just things to keep in mind..I wouldnt do it not at her young age and being so recently diagnosed...
    LOL, I wouldn't take her at the age of 6. They've lowered junior certification to 10, if I'm not mistaken - it used to be 12, that means they can go diving but only with a certified adult (I'm not an instructor, but I worked as a divemaster for a couple of years).

My husband as been bugging us to spend two weeks at this beautiful beach resort (just me and the kids and probably a nanny). I am scared stiff to do it.
    Last edited by NomadIvy; 06-25-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    ~Ivy
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

Quote Originally Posted by NomadIvy View Post
    LOL, I wouldn't take her at the age of 6. They've lowered junior certification to 10, if I'm not mistaken - it used to be 12, that means they can go diving but only with a certified adult (I'm not an instructor, but I worked as a divemaster for a couple of years).

My husband as been bugging us to spend two weeks at this beautiful beach resort (just me and the kids and probably a nanny). I am scared stiff to do it.
    Uhm, I think I would be nervous as to why my hubby wanted the house to himself for two weeks ...can you imagine the mess when you get home
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Uhm, I think I would be nervous as to why my hubby wanted the house to himself for two weeks ...can you imagine the mess when you get home
    Hmm.. if he had lots of time in his hands, I'd be scared too ... unfortunately, this is a country where leaving work at an acceptable time is not acceptable. He's actually in the U.K. now for some meetings (the highlight of which was listening to Prince Charles' speech) and then he's off to Portugal. And he's actually a very good housekeeper and cook
    ~Ivy
    Dexcom -- sometimes

And he's actually a very good housekeeper and cook
    Wow - lucky lady!
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

Oh I thought you meant right now at her age... Sorry...I hear you I would be scared to go scuba diving at all..
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

My wife and I are both certified but haven't been since pregnancy - 10 years now. We still talk about it and talk about getting our son certified. I'm not terribly concerned about going down 30 or 40 feet and I'm sure we could manage the BG to stay on the high side while down.

Our problem is that he talks .... a lot .... I mean he never shuts up and unless we were to outfit him with a full face mask with wireless communication it would never work.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life