advertisement

Thread: Smoothies

Default Smoothies

Can you post your favorite smoothies recipes, please? The ones you give your kids usually for breakfast, especially.

I need ideas.

Yeah, I could google, but...

Thank you!
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Silken tofu
    Over ripe bananas
    Berries (frozen works well too)
    Milk/Soy milk/almond milk
    We also add a couple spoons of sugar

Blend.
    Trying hard not to graduate from Pre-diabetes to Type 2, but wanting to learn about ALL types of diabetes.

I just take frozen fruit .. strawberries ... banana (the banana is not always frozen) add a little milk , soy milk, almond milk ... or low fat yogurt and blend. I actually just ordered a magic bullet to make it even easier!

Crystal

Mom to Dillon 18
    Justice 11, Kaylee 9, dx'd at 3, 10-5-07
    and Kyle 8

Switched to the purple Minimed .. used to Ping.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMamamia View Post
    Can you post your favorite smoothies recipes, please? The ones you give your kids usually for breakfast, especially.

I need ideas.

Yeah, I could google, but...

Thank you!
    We're big smoothie makers here, and I try to sneak in healthy stuff like flax and spinach, sometimes they go for it, often not!

We do a combo of frozen fruits, milk, yogurt. Pretty typical, nothing snazzy. BUT, I found some recipes I have been trying lately and really enjoying them as they are ready when you wake up, make them the night before. The texture needs some tweaking, I think my blender isn't strong enough or something, I like them but the kids think they are too lumpy. They are pretty power packed with the oats though, which is why I like them. My favorite so far is the PB applesauce one, I added a spoonful of cocoa too.

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/201...nvent+your+own

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    20 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

We use plain Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, strawberries, a banana, orange juice, handful of baby spinach, ground flax seed, protein powder. Sometimes I use "monster juice" from Odwalla...it is made with a bunch of green veggies and fruit. We LOVE our magic bullet!!!
    Allison
    Mom to:
    Olivia (age 11) dx'd 8/26/11 - 8 yrs old Pink Ping 2/24/12 Dexcom G4 3/24/14
    John (age 5) nonD

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thankfully, God knew my plans were to visit Holland...not Italy!

The magic bullet is loved around here!

For smoothies I try to make it easy:

1 tube of gogurt or half a container of fruit yogurt.

Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, (you get the picture) or banana

Ice ( we like them thick)

Vanilla light soy milk ( it's lower in carbs than regular milk and doesn't cause him to spike like regular milk).

Sometimes we a spoonful of sugar or a little splenda (yes we use splenda and I'm ok with it)

We like to blend peach yogurt with blueberries or blueberry yogurt with bananas or vanilla yogurt with strawberries. Connor love the cotton candy gogurt with strawberries.

Now I want a smoothie!

I usually just put whatever fruit I have in - usually not banana because I don't like it that much. I just do natural (Greek) yoghurt and fruit - my favourite smoothie fruits are berries - especially raspberries, strawberries and blueberries - and I love to use kiwi fruit (yum!!). Mango is good too. Basically all my favourite fruits. But recently I've been making fruit salad more than smoothie - I love that as well.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

1 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp FFSF pudding mix
    1 tbsp Sugar Free sweetener
    dash of nutmeg
    Blend
    then add 1 cup frozen fruit
    blend

My Favorite Smoothies-- they were actually mentioned on the today show

1/2 cup of aany kind of fruit (my favorite is strawberries)
    1/4 cup of skim milk
    1 6oz of yogurt (I uses low fat yoplait)

I put it in a "magic bullet" its not the brand name, I got it for my birthday at JCPenny for $40? Great investment. Lol

They are about 30-34 carbs.
    ~Bella~
    14 years old
    Type 1 for 5 years

1 c. chocolate soymilk
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    1 frozen banana
    1+ Tbsp peanut butter

Not your low calorie smoothie - intended for a growing 11 year old boy!!

Carson has one every day. I did check with the endo to make sure the protein powder is okay and since we are mostly vegetarian, he encouraged using the protein.
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. T-Slim 9/14, Dex 9/14, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 14, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 11, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team