advertisement
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Disney World Warning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bgallini View Post
    So, I haven't been to DW in many, many years or Disney land in awhile so I don't know all the rollercoasters, etc but can you carry that small backpack on all the rides? I have a bag like that and was hoping to be able to carry Alex's supplies in it when we go. But I don't want to have to put it in a cubby while we ride rides.
    We went in 2006 about six months after diagnosis. Lia was on MDI and still honeymooning. I carried a huge, ugly fanny pack full of her supplies. She also had a smaller one with back ups of some stuff in case she went on a ride or somewhere with someone else in our group (grandma or aunt). I was allowed to take this on every single ride. It was more like a bag than a fanny pack it was so big lol. We didn't ride a lot of the bigger thrill rides but we did go on Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain. I had no problems with taking the bag on any of these or any other ride. Nobody ever questioned it at all.

As far as a GAC. I didn't request one and we didn't need one. We went in Aug and it was near 100 degrees every day. HOWEVER since she was six years old I still felt comfortable using a stroller and we rented one and used it. Not all the time, but enough. If we were just walking from one attraction to another nearby, say in the Magic Kingdom we didn't use it. But if we were crossing the park we definitely used it. We used it a lot more at Epcot as it's so big and the attractions are further apart. I think that helped a lot at avoiding the lows. We used FastPass whenever possible. Even though it was crazy busy I think our longest line was maybe an hour when it was later in the evening and no FastPasses were available for Big Thunder Mountain. But I believe most of that line was in the shade. I really can't remember any rides that we waited out in the full sun for. Maybe Dumbo and the Aladdin ride? But for Dumbo I knew it was a full sun line that can be insanely long so we ran for it as soon as the park opened to avoid that wait and only waited for one ride cycle. And even the Aladdin ride line wasn't too long from what I can recall.

I also have absolutely no hesitation at testing and treating wherever we may be. In line, on the rides (not the wild ones of course) etc. So I can't see needing to get out of line except for severe lows/bathrooms. And that wasn't an issue for us. I tested a TON and at that time she rarely had highs so no bathroom issues.

For us then it wasn't necessary. Now we can't use the stroller so I won't say never, but unlikely with lots of planning etc. I guess if she was high and needed to get out to use the bathroom I would try and speak to the line attendant to see if they could let us back in etc.
    Laurie

Mom to Lia Grace, 13 yrs, dx 1/13/06 at age 5.
    Started with NPH and Regular, switched to Lantus and Novolog after three months and then started pumping after 1.5 years.
    CURRENTLY Pumping with the Animas Ping and using the Dexcom G4.

Quote Originally Posted by liasmommy2000 View Post
    We went in 2006 about six months after diagnosis. Lia was on MDI and still honeymooning. I carried a huge, ugly fanny pack full of her supplies. She also had a smaller one with back ups of some stuff in case she went on a ride or somewhere with someone else in our group (grandma or aunt). I was allowed to take this on every single ride. It was more like a bag than a fanny pack it was so big lol. We didn't ride a lot of the bigger thrill rides but we did go on Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain. I had no problems with taking the bag on any of these or any other ride. Nobody ever questioned it at all.

As far as a GAC. I didn't request one and we didn't need one. We went in Aug and it was near 100 degrees every day. HOWEVER since she was six years old I still felt comfortable using a stroller and we rented one and used it. Not all the time, but enough. If we were just walking from one attraction to another nearby, say in the Magic Kingdom we didn't use it. But if we were crossing the park we definitely used it. We used it a lot more at Epcot as it's so big and the attractions are further apart. I think that helped a lot at avoiding the lows. We used FastPass whenever possible. Even though it was crazy busy I think our longest line was maybe an hour when it was later in the evening and no FastPasses were available for Big Thunder Mountain. But I believe most of that line was in the shade. I really can't remember any rides that we waited out in the full sun for. Maybe Dumbo and the Aladdin ride? But for Dumbo I knew it was a full sun line that can be insanely long so we ran for it as soon as the park opened to avoid that wait and only waited for one ride cycle. And even the Aladdin ride line wasn't too long from what I can recall.

I also have absolutely no hesitation at testing and treating wherever we may be. In line, on the rides (not the wild ones of course) etc. So I can't see needing to get out of line except for severe lows/bathrooms. And that wasn't an issue for us. I tested a TON and at that time she rarely had highs so no bathroom issues.

For us then it wasn't necessary. Now we can't use the stroller so I won't say never, but unlikely with lots of planning etc. I guess if she was high and needed to get out to use the bathroom I would try and speak to the line attendant to see if they could let us back in etc.
    Thanks! I'm glad the bag shouldn't be a problem. Alex has been to Disney a few times since D so he's not concerned at all. But I want to have all the supplies he'll need...just in case. And since it will be June/July....It will be much hotter than when he's gone before.
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10

Smile Visiting Disney

Been to Disney after my daughter was diagnosed in 2012 and we received a pass, no questions asked.

I have to agree with the last poster... I dont want my child to feel like he should get any special treatment or that he is any different from anyone else... Im not sure Im understanding why they would get to go to the front of the line when everyone else has to wait their turn... As long as we are prepared with snacks for lows and water, why special treatment. We go to amusement parks all the time also and would have never even thought to ask about a pass. Honestly, i was very surprised when I just read this thread....
    Mom to Austin dx T1D Dec 12, 2012 at 6 years old
    Animas PING with Novolog Jan 2013 to present

I was abit disappointed on FB to see Gary Scheiner boasting (for want of a better word) about getting a free front of the line pass in some amusement park... Its seemed very off to me..
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 12, dx'd @11 months and Anna, 17, dx'd @ 17 .

Keep Calm and Treat the Number

Even though this is a very old thread, I thought I'd add my two cents!

I thought it was ridiculous, too, until I entered into a discussion of the issue with other people who I consider to be reasonable and level-headed. I have changed my view a bit since then. It seems that some of our kids simply cannot handle the heat or really need extra access to restrooms. They do not deserve to go to the front of the line (but I do not believe that is what the pass is all about, is it?), but it seems that the ability to leave the line to deal with issues without losing their spots is important.

My son, on the other hand, does not have trouble with heat, nor does he need or want to drink or pee more than other kids. For us, I think it would be wrong to accept the pass. At the same time, I am more than willing to support parents who believe that it is necessary for their kids to have this accommodation in order to get the same enjoyment out of an amusement park that other kids get.

I might not be so generous-minded with those who just do it because they can, though, or because it is a "perk" of diabetes, but that is just me!
    Caroline

K, 2008, dx 2010-12-02 - blue MM Revel with blue Dexcom G4
    E, 2010
    W, 2013

This was a thought provoking blog from a FFL attendee...

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/07/...ys-needed.html

We've gotten a card in the past, but luckily have never had to use it. Fast Pass and planning always seemed to work in our favor. I never wanted to use the card so that we could get to the front. I wanted a shaded place to wait, or if in the event we had to leave just hop back in where we had left off (ie. if we had a 30 min wait, and we came back and the line was still long, we were willing to finish).

I recently read that there is a trend with people hiring disabled people to come on vacation with them so that they could get to the front of the line. It was in order to maximize their time. Very, very sad. http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05...scort-1040day/
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

We went to Disney in June. I had heard about the Guest Accomodation Pass (and the scandal with the disabled tour guides). This was our first vacation post diagnosis, and the first time we were out in heat like that (my daughter was diagnosed in March in the midwest). I was nervous on many levels -- eating out every meal, rides, heat, etc -- but we decided to take it one day at a time.

We ended up never even asking for the pass because my daughter didn't seem to react any differently than the rest of us (we were all really hot and sweaty) and didn't require any additional accommodations.

I have to say, I'm glad we didn't ask for one because I would have felt really guilty. The rest of the line truly grumbled when they saw the "go to the front of the line people". It just doesn't seem fair. I understand that people have special needs and that they might not be able to stand for an hour or maneuver through the serpentine lines with their scooters or wheelchairs, but why does that mean that they don't have to wait the same amount of time as everyone else? Even if the affected person gets to wait outside of the line somewhere, why can't the rest of the party wait in line like everyone else?

I suppose it's just Disney's way of saying: we understand you have to live with this situation 24/7/365 and we want to give you a treat for this one day/one week at our Parks. But I don't know; it left me with a bad taste in my mouth to see a family of 6 getting to skip the lines every time because of someone in a scooter.
    DD diagnosed March, 2013 at age 10, now 11 years old
    T:slim (Humalog) as of August, 2013
    Dexcom G4 as of November, 2013

We go to Disneyland a lot, we've had passes for years and it never occurred to us that it was even a thing when she was diagnosed. When we went to Disney World a couple of years ago we just took rests because of the heat etc.

They are starting to do one of the things mamattorney suggested which is make it more of a fast pass. For Radiator Springs you go with your wheelchair or GAC to a special station and they give you a pass with a return time which usually is approximately how long the regular line is at the time. You come back at that time and get into the GAC line which is shorter.

They also let you keep your group together. Otherwise you'd have 4 people in line and one person off by themselves the whole time which doesn't seem very fun. Also a lot of the GAC lines, Pirates is one, can end up being a longer wait than the regular lines because they get so backed up. One of the reasons some get long is because they can only have a few people with mobility issues in the ride at a time, in case the ride goes down and they have to walk people out. So the waits can get longer at peak times.
    Mom to Madison (18)
    dxd 8/5/09
    Omnipod pump using Novalog 4/10
    Dexcom 3/13

I just wanted to add that we took advantage of (and felt kind of guilty about) using the child swap tickets. Our littlest child is not tall enough to ride some of the rides so they will give you a "child swap" pass which meant for our family: one parent and the two tall kids get in line (either fast pass or regular) and the other parent gets a "child swap" pass and waits with the short kid until the rest of the family rides the ride. Then, the parent who rode first waits with the short child while the other parent gets to use the child swap pass and goes through the fast pass line and gets to ride the ride.

That wouldn't make me feel guilty in and of itself, but the kicker is that the child swap pass is good for three people, so my tall kids got to ride the ride twice. Once by waiting in line and then again with the child swap. I was going to have the tall kids wait with dad and just go on the ride as a single rider, but the attendants were all very much - "take kids on again -that's the great part of child swap" so we did. The tall kids got to ride Soarin' and Star Tours twice in a row, which was great for them.

Anyway, I wrote all that to say that I think they could do something like that for GAC people so that you wouldn't have them waiting by themselves, but I think it's just too complicated for Disney - going up the exit line as an entire party is just easier; even though it's frustrating for everyone else in line.
    DD diagnosed March, 2013 at age 10, now 11 years old
    T:slim (Humalog) as of August, 2013
    Dexcom G4 as of November, 2013