advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: umbilical hernia and thyroid issues

Default umbilical hernia and thyroid issues

So Caleb, our newborn has an umbilical hernia. In fact he will be 5 weeks old tomorrow and his stump just fell off today.

We took him in for his one month appt on Friday, and his pedi ran bloodwork for thyroid issues. She said that they can sometimes be linked.

Since it's a holiday weekend, I'm guessing we won't get the results til Tues or Weds. And of course I googled it, which is a TERRIBLE idea.

So I'm hoping someone will tell me their happy story of an outie that just went away on it's own. Please?
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

My nonD son had a regular belly button (inee) and developed a herniated bellybutton about a week after his stump fell off. They just let it go and it is still an outie. They check it pretty regularly at his pediatricians and so far no problems. He may eventually need surgery should it get worse. No thyroid problems at all. He's 14 now. Hopefully that will be the case with your little guy too!
    Kara
    Mom to Tim, 20 dx'd at age 2 1/2, started omnipod 4/11/2011, previously MM for 6 years. Dexcom currently as well.
    Natalie, 24 nonD
    Brady, 18 nonD

My cousin, who was born at 32 weeks, had an umbilical cord hernia.. I believe it ended up going away on its own... I know they were thinking surgery may have to be done.. but I don't think it ended up that way... (they never said anything about thyroid issues though..They said that the hernia's sometimes just happen...)
    K, 11yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping Since 7/06 w/ MM
    PUMPING w/T:Slim 5/14
    Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Dexcom G4 2/14
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

Funny, Kim,,,,,,,my son that had that problem was also born at 32 weeks.
    Kara
    Mom to Tim, 20 dx'd at age 2 1/2, started omnipod 4/11/2011, previously MM for 6 years. Dexcom currently as well.
    Natalie, 24 nonD
    Brady, 18 nonD

Nick has an "outie" now.. he was in so much pain the frist 6 months of his life while the dr's were trying to figure out what was wrong with him. They said it was from the force from crying all the time. There are times when it is huge and other times that it is just skin. Oddly, he has been tested for thyroid issues many times and occasionally runs a little hyperthyroid and then it will go back to normal.

Amy~ mom to
    Kayla~18 T1 dx 4/24/10 pumping with purple revel 12/22/10
    Noah~15 T1 dx 1/31/11
    and Nick~11, primary immune def (CVID) receives IVIG, asthma

Two of my nieces had umbilical hernias. The dr. just watched them and if they aren't gone by about 5 they will do surgery to repair it. Both the girls' must have gone away on their own, but they both have outty belly buttons. That was all there was to it, no mention of thyroid issues and I don't believe they were ever checked for anything like that.
    Holly -- wife of Mike, 17 yrs
    mom of Morgan (13 yrs.), dx'd 03-17-08 type 1 D, enjoying the honeymoon
    dx'd w/hypothyroid 2006
    primary diagnosis: trisomy 18, differently abled
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/morganmccormick

"Each life and each death is a profound event, or no life--not a single life ever--was of any consequence. Everything matters or nothing has mattered." Burton Blatt

"Don't deny the diagnosis...deny the verdict." Norman Cousin

Chloe also had an umbilical hernia, but she never had to have anything done to it. She is almost 10 now. It did look kind of scary when she would cry but it turned out fine.
    Kelly
    Mom to Michayla,11, dx@8 (April Fools Day), Minimed 722 and CGMS and Chloe,10, non-D
    Its not about being who everyone else wants you to be, its about being yourself and finding someone who loves every bit of it

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmcormick View Post
    Two of my nieces had umbilical hernias. The dr. just watched them and if they aren't gone by about 5 they will do surgery to repair it.
    Our pedi might be a bit more aggressive, but she said if they were still there at age 2 then she'd consider referring us for possible surgery. My two youngest both had them, but they closed up lone before 2 - it's apparently pretty common.

No one ever mentioned thyroid issues to me, but we had all the normal newborn screenings done so I assume if there was anything amiss at that point I would have known.
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

Weird.....all 3 of my girls had an umbilical hernia. Morgan's was HUGE (lemon sized) and ended up closing on it's own. I have one, too, that was re-damaged with pregnancies, and needs surgery. Zoe's was small, and she does have Hashi's....interesting...I've never heard this before!
    Sharon, Mom of 3
    Bailey 18 non-D
    Morgan,17- D (Dx'd age 4)
    Zoe, 12-D, Hashimotos (Dx'd age 8)

Seans was called an umbilical hernia but his was above the belly button. It hadn't closed by last year after he turned 5 and although it never caused pain or discomfort, his endo felt, with diabetes in the mix, it was best to have it repaired under controlled circumstances rather than risk emergency surgery down the road.
    So he had it repaired last August.
    Barb, Mom to:
    Sean, 10
    dxd 8-21-07
    Pumping w/ Animas 2020 since 3-04-08
    Dexcom 7+ since 09-09-09