advertisement
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Service Dogs for diabetic children

Default Service Dogs for diabetic children

hi all i was wondering if anyone has a service dog or knows anything about their abilities to detect lows. please looking for any information
    --------Egan age 7 Dx on 12/25/09, now on Novolog three times a day and Lantus at night.

There are a few people here who have service dogs.. They aren't always on, so it may take a bit before someone answers you.. in the mean time you can try a search, if you type in diabetes alert dog, you'll probably get a ton of info

We don't have a dog.. but the most important thing to do is to do your research.. talk to people who have used some of the companies.. DON'T just go by websites.. anyone can make up those 'recommendation'.. I also suggest you check out the BBB before choosing a company.

good luck!
    K, 11yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping Since 7/06 w/ MM
    PUMPING w/T:Slim 5/14
    Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Dexcom G4 2/14
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

Default D-Dogs

This Diabetes Blogger owns a D-Service Dog named Dixie, and I am attaching a link to her blog (Dam Diabetes) where she writes this post about Dixie and the place in North Carolina where she went to research and meet them. From what she writes, it sounds like her dog is pretty spot on. I don't have one, but my 5-year old black lab had a sense about her and can sense Lows - she paws at me and comes and tries to sit on my lap whenever my sugar is low. Not quite spot on all the time, but you can tell she knows something's up and is doing what she can. Pretty impressive, in my mind. Good luck in your research and, if you go ahead with one, your D-Dog!
    Michael
    A 35-year-old Type 1, diagnosed at age 5 in 1984
    Diabetes Advocate, Writer and Managing Editor at DiabetesMine.

thanks will check it out looking to get started
    --------Egan age 7 Dx on 12/25/09, now on Novolog three times a day and Lantus at night.

Default D-Dogs Seem Worth It To Me

Good luck in your research. Another point I saw someone blog about or post as a news story recently: there are some scam service dog places out there where the dogs apparently aren't trained and don't do what they are sold to do. I can't offhand recall the details on where or what it was, but wanted to at least point that out. Anyhow, good luck! I'd love to hear what you find and hear how it goes!
    Michael

My daughter has a diabetic alert dog that goes to school with her everyday. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

YES, they can and do sense lows as well as highs even from long distances. (Our dog has even alerted on seizures and drugs even though he wasn't trained to do so).

His main focus is his girl and he goes everywhere with her. They just got back from a band trip to Padre Island. He goes to theatre, band, movies, church, even to the hospital (the nurses LOVE him).

You can read a bit about alert dogs at www.lildotspot.com
    Kristi,
    Tired & busy mom to 3 teens
    Matthew - age 21
    twins: Christopher - age 17
    Type I Katie Jane - age 17
    dx 2-13-07, pumping w/Cozmo
    Shots - age 5, diabetic alert dog

www.lildotspot.com

may I bump in here and ask a q...
    I was looking into it here in WA and what I found was this it was a $15,000 investment. 5,000 upfront and then another 10,000 after the training was done. Is that the going rate? I'd love to do this for my son as he's so young and the CGM's don't work for him currently, but for $15,000 that'd be nearly impossible for us right now.
    Sarah
    wife to TJ (t1d for 20yrs) MDI lantus/humalog
    mother to Ethan (non-d) 8 years old
    and Isaac (dx 11/09 at 19 months old) 6 years old, pumping on MM Revel (6wks post dx) with Novolog and Dexcom G4 (love it!!!)
    ~dx with Celiac Disease July 2013

Default Cost

I have no personal or firsthand knowledge about D-Dogs or cost, but have heard that $15k amount before - the one blogger I read regularly who has a D-Dog mentioned that cost. In her case, she fundraised about $8,000 and got some other personal donations and such outside of that fundraising campaign. While that may not be possible or an option for everyone, it's one thing to keep in mind. Also, I have no clue as to whether insurance would cover any part of that - assuming not, but again have no direct knowledge on the topic.
    Michael

Default diabetic service dog

My daughter just got her service dog from pawsabilities unleashed in Kentucky. The cost was 7500. we went down there for a week of training. He is doing really well.

if you want a family dog, get a family dog.

if you want a way to detect lows, get a CGM.