advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Secrutity(SSI) for Children with Diabetes?

Default Social Secrutity(SSI) for Children with Diabetes?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to get their child on disabilty from Social Security (SSI) because their child has diabetes. If anyone has if you don't mind telling me how did your case turn out? I was told to try and put my son on it because he's very young and has Type 1 diabetes and sometimes they consider that a disability even though it's a life disease. It's just taking them a really long time to come to a descion. Just wondering if any of tried this before.
    Melinda Mom of 2 great boys
    Devin 9 years dx Autism and ADHD 1/12/04 non-d
    Jayden 6 years dx Type 1 12/03/09
    Also dx ADHD and ODD 10/15/09
    Takes Lantus 2x a day and Humalog 3x a day

Last A1C 6.9 on 4/12/10

Never even thought about it....
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

I never thought about it either, because I never considered Reann disabled.
    Beth, widowed,
    Mom to Reann, 24, dx'd 7/8, pumping Minimed
    Roma, Renae, Ronnis Sue, Robyn and Rheta all nonD

Type 1 diabetes is not eligible for SSI...
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

To have type 1 and get SSI is very difficult. Also just because a person has what is considered a disability under the American With Disabilities Act doesn't mean they will qualify for SSI. Also with children they also look at the parents income.
    Here are the medical qualifications for SSI if your child has diabetes.
    109.08 Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus (as documented in 109.00C) requiring parenteral insulin. And one of the following, despite prescribed therapy:

A. Recent, recurrent hospitalizations with acidosis; or

B. Recent, recurrent episodes of hypoglycemia; or

C. Growth retardation as described under the criteria in 100.02.A or B; or

D. Impaired renal function as described under the criteria in 106.00ff.

Here is the link if you want to read more.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/profes...betes Mellitis

The requirements are very strict and while you might think your child would qualify they most likely would not.

This question does come up a lot..I think Deafmack has the best answer when it comes to answering this...If your child is having severe difficulties with his type 1 then yes you should consider applying for SSI..(and I hope your child is not having the complications listed)....I personally would not apply for SSI in my daughters case...she is doing well..and no complications, etc..
    Your endo can probably help you through this the best...only you and he/she know your childs medical conditions/type 1 best..
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

Thanks everyone. I don't consider his diabeties to be a disability either that's why I wasn't. It's just that lpts of people keep telling me he could qualify even his Endo told me maybe and that I could try. I just wasn't sure what to do before I go through all that work and all that for trouble for nothing. Thanks for the advice I don't think I'll waste my time then.

Last A1C 6.9 on 4/12/10

I don't consider it a disability and want Sam to see that it is just one of many challenges he may face in life. He plays sports, goes to friends houses, sleeps over, does everything and more that kids his age are doing

I sure don't want to try to "make" him disabled to qualify for social security. Did you know that if you are considered disabled that you cannot qualify for traditional insurance? Our kids are eligible in a little over 100 days, don't want to jeopardize that.
    Analisa---mom to
    Sam age 12 dx 1/18/06, pumping minimed since 11/06 CGMS 6/08
    Natalie age 7, non D who is a self proclaimed D expert
    Sophia Bella almost 3 and as spoiled as can be

I totally agree. To me he's perfectly normal, but just requires a little bit more than other kids. I want him to feel normal and act like normal kids. To me he's no different than any other child really. we even check his bllod sugar and give his shots in public and doesn't even care. When people he just I have diabetes no big deal. So mature and better accepting for a child his age I think. My oldest son is Autistic so he thinks he has something like his brother sometimes. So I'm trying to teach him that he isn't like his brother just a normal kid and that all kids are different in their own special way. He's beginning to understand now. He really loves for me to read books made for kids about diabetes ti him. Those are his favorite books. I think that helps a lot. I was only asking because people keep asking me if I've considered that for him. I actually don't know why I even would consider it. Thanks everyone you all seem to feel pretty much the same as I do.

Last A1C 6.9 on 4/12/10

I met a young adult with type 1 D and is receiving SS, she is legally blind and in kidney failure. When she was diagnosed at age 13, she rebelled against insulin therapy and her parents. She drank, ate what she wanted without insulin coverage.

she is having diabetic complication.
    dx 6/08 at age 12
    Pumping Ping 12/09
    inset/one touch