advertisement

Thread: Barrier Wipes

Default Barrier Wipes

Does anyone have any experience with these products?

Reliamed Skin-Prep Protective Barrier Wipes
    Convatec Allkare Protective Barrier Wipes
    Coloplast Prep Medicated Wipes

I contacted Edgepark to get samples of the Bard Wipes as I heard they were great, but apparently Bard doesn't allow them to provide samples. Edgepark would send me a sample of one of the above brands, but I haven't heard anything about them.

I am looking for something to use under my infusion sets which cause an itchy, welt. I don't have any problem with the Dexcom adhesive.

Thanks!!
    ~Erin
    Type 1 (12/22/03)
    T:slim and Dexcom G4
    Celiac (4/11/13)

We use the SkinPrep wipes. My son is very sensitive to the adhesive on tegaderm and infusion sets. He also gets a red, itchy welt. The SkinPrep has been great for it! -Allison

I have MAJOR issues with OmniPod adhesive (but not Dexcom) and may be switching to a new pump soon if I can't figure out the allergy thing... anywho...

I have tried the following skin preps / barriers. None worked for me, but all came to me highly recommended...

-Hollister Skin Gel Protective Dressing Wipes
    -Bard Protective Barrier Film Wipes
    -Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film Wipes
    -IVPrep (Smith and Nephew)
    -Skin Prep (also by Smith and Nephew)

The idea for most is that it's supposed to reduce "adhesive stripping" where you rip off a nice layer of skin when removing the adhesive.

The OmniPod rep I have been working with also recommended using Benadryl brand SPRAY on the area you plan on putting the site, let it dry completely (make sure you remember where you sprayed it as it dries clear) and insert site as usual.

Hope some of this will help you...
    Tricia

28, dxd D @ 8 (9/1994)
    Current Diabetes Accessories: Dexcom G4Platinum (6/2013); Animas Ping (again - until the new insurance kicks in, then OmniPods again!!)
    Nurse, trying desperately to become a CDE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy28 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with these products?

Reliamed Skin-Prep Protective Barrier Wipes
    Convatec Allkare Protective Barrier Wipes
    Coloplast Prep Medicated Wipes

I contacted Edgepark to get samples of the Bard Wipes as I heard they were great, but apparently Bard doesn't allow them to provide samples. Edgepark would send me a sample of one of the above brands, but I haven't heard anything about them.

I am looking for something to use under my infusion sets which cause an itchy, welt. I don't have any problem with the Dexcom adhesive.

Thanks!!
    I have used Smith and Nephew Skin Prep wipes twice now. The first time I tried one it was under the pod. The pod fell right off. Put them away and decided to try one under the Dexcom. The previous 2 had been put on with just alcohol wipe and stuck very well. The Dexcom sensor was put on Friday night. Saturday morning she handed it to me because it fell off in the shower. Threw the rest of the box in the trash! Luckily Dex replaced the sensor, as the trainer had Skin Prep on her list of things to use. We do use the Cavilon Skin barrier cream with no problems under the pod, just make sure not to use too much. She still has some redness, but it doesn't pull a layer of skin off removing the pods now. We do still have to use a remover.
    Mary,
    Mom to Melissa, 29, using Dexcom, 24/7 since 4/10, and T:slim started March 2014. Michael, 34 using MDI's and Dexcom. Melissa is intellectually challenged and needs a lot of help from us to manage her diabetes.

I have used the following. Only worked for mild issues. Had to use J&J Tough Pad for extreme tape allergy.

-Bard Protective Barrier Film Wipes
    -Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film Wipes
    -IVPrep (Smith and Nephew)
    -Skin Prep (also by Smith and Nephew)

I just reread this was for the pump. You might also try if the wipes don't work opsite tape or IV 3000 under it.
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 15 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

Michayla puts Tagaderm under her site to prevent a reaction from the tape.
    Kelly
    Mom to Michayla,11, dx@8 (April Fools Day), Minimed 722 and CGMS and Chloe,10, non-D
    Its not about being who everyone else wants you to be, its about being yourself and finding someone who loves every bit of it

Thanks for the info everyone!

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I have used IV3000 under my infusion sets and it only holds off the allergic reaction for about 12 hours. It is almost like the adhesive seeps through the IV3000. The reaction remains localized beneath the infusion set. I am going to try and get my hands on a sample of Tegaderm HP to see if that might be any better.

Hopefully something will work.
    ~Erin
    Type 1 (12/22/03)
    T:slim and Dexcom G4
    Celiac (4/11/13)