advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorable firsts for your CWD

Smile Memorable firsts for your CWD

Whether your child has had diabetes for many years or is a fairly recent diagnosis, we all remember the firsts after diagnosis. The first outing, the first day back at school or of school in the little kids, the first sleepover, the first family vacation, the first meal out at a restaraunt. I bet you were scared, wondering how it would go. And I bet it worked out alot better then you had thought it would didnt it?

A memory I have of a first outing took place almost 2 months after Steven was diagnosed. He was about 3 1/2 and we decided to take the boys to the beach. They had never been to a sandy beach only the rocky beaches of Maine. We also planned on eating out at McDonalds which was a first restaraut meal after diagnosis.

The trip to the beach was about 50 minutes. I will never forget Steven expression when he saw the ocean and the waves and the sand. He went tearing down the beach, all 34 LBs of him and stood in the waves screaming and laughing! he absolutely loved it! We stayed there for about 1 1/2 hours letting the boys play in the ocean and dig in the sand then went to Mickey-D's for supper. We did insulin dosing in the van cause Steven was still on NPH and humolog mixed in a syringe and prefered his shots in the bum Steven had chicken nuggets, fries and a diet coke.

As we drove home I felt in my heart that he would be ok and so would I. And today nearly 6 years later, we are

So tell me about your CWD memorable first
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

Alex's first 'outing' after dx was about 2 weeks after. It was out to dinner with his gf and another couple. He was supposed to go to the homecoming dance that night but couldn't get tickets. They had a limited # of tickets and he was supposed to buy them at lunch but he never had time at lunch b/c he had to go to the nurse's office before lunch to test, etc. So he didn't get them in time. I have no idea why the gf couldn't get them except she thought she was a princess or something and it was the "man's" job. Oh, well....they went out to dinner. He was on nph so had to have a set number of carbs. We couldn't find the nutritional info for the restaurant even after calling them. So we looked at the menu and came up with some choices and reviewed how to estimate the portions. He took his insulins with him and left them in the car b/c he didn't want to do the shot at the table. They ordered and then (I think) he went out to the car. He took so long out there, the other guy came to check on him. Oh, and dh was worried, a cop would see him and think he was shooting up heroin or something so we reviewed what to do if that happened.

But all in all, he did fine. He had a good time, I guess.

And things have gotten much easier over time!!!!
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10

His first and only sleepover since d. My best friend and husband decided to keep him overnight with their two boys one summer night. It was a spur of the moment type thing and I was okay with it because they had been around us so much and "knew" what to do. It was after dinner and I stayed and gave him his Lantus shot. They woke up and checked his sugar in the middle of the night and gave him juice (he was right around 100 so she treated a little). I will never forget the kindness and how much it meant to me and how much it meant to Ben. I couldn't really thank her because it kept tearing up - I had to send her a text. He hasn't had another sleepover yet but I'm sure they will do another one this summer. Ben's trying to work one out for Papa's house, but Papa is still a little too nervous.
    Beth
    Mom of:
    N, 14
    B, 12, dx 3/9/09, Pumping (as of 10/19/09) with Clear MM 522 and CGM (as of June 2010)
    D, 2

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Brandi's first sleepover at her BFFs house was 1 week after diagnosis. It was her BFFs sweet 16 and it had been planned for MONTHS so I couldn't say no.

I texted her about 50 times an hour until 2am when she tested and went to bed.

BFF's dad was great, he woke the girls up early and fed them breakfast and was slightly familiar with testing and eating healthy because he is Type 2.

She was fine but I was freaked out the whole night and the next day.

It was hard on her to go to the party and have to watch what she ate. Once we got there to pick her up I was worried about how many chips she was eating, but she had been dancing her butt off so I am sure it was fine that she was having the chips.

This weekend was our first camping trip since diagnosis and she had one high number of 228 after drinking some punch that I found out later was made with sprite, pineapple juice, sugar and koolaid. I imagine it might have been higher if we hadn't been on a 3 mile hike.
    Amber
    Mom to Brandi - age 18, diagnosed 11/4/09
    Pumping as of 05/10/10 with a GREEN PING
    First A1C since pump start - 6.2
    Our walk shirt logo

A month after diagnosis my son had a soccer tournament over Memorial Day weekend. The field was over an hour away and they were to play 2 games each day. As soon as I got the e-mail with all the info, I silently obsessed with every single detail and scenerio that will and may happen through those 2 days. I had everything planned in my head. My son was on NPH and Humalog at the time and he had to eat a set amount of carbs at a specific time of day.

We tested before games, brought alot of food and even went to Outback for dinner with several teammates and their family. Everything worked perfectly. No lows or highs and everything went smoothly. When the weekend was over I said to my son. "See how well everything went this weekend. There is NOTHING we can't do or figure out as a family." It has always been my motto. Nothing will stop us! We will figure it out and make it work together!!!
    Diane- mom of Alex 19, dx 4/25/05, pumping since 8/1/06 ( MM 723) & Victoria 15

I was diagnosed on July 6th, and on July 20th I slept over at one of my best friends' houses. It was planned beforehand and I wanted to start as I meant to go on...

We went to the cinema, and when we got back to her house my BG was 342. I wasn't doing corrections at that point (my BGs were high all the time anyway) and I took my normal dose for dinner (I was on fixed doses, not a carb ratio). After dinner, my BG was 169 and I was so freaked out - I had not been below 180 EVER since dx. I rung my mum from my friend's bathroom and she was a bit panicked that I was lower than usual and she wouldn't be able to wake me up in the night, but she told me to eat a biggish snack.

Me and my friend both had two slices of toast and peanut butter, and I was 203 when we woke up (a good number for me at that point). It gave me a lot of confidence in dealing with my D when mum was not around. Now I stay at friends' houses ALL the time, without a second thought to D. I even have insulin in my best friend's fridge.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Grocery shopping. I was so scared to leave the house, so I took tabs, juice, bread, etc, etc, etc, and enough D supplies to last me oh! for a full week. The grocery store was 15mins from my house. As I went through the aisles I saw OMG! there's food here!.
    I was so happy to be able to take a smaller bag from that day on.
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by StillMamamia View Post
    Grocery shopping. I was so scared to leave the house, so I took tabs, juice, bread, etc, etc, etc, and enough D supplies to last me oh! for a full week. The grocery store was 15mins from my house. As I went through the aisles I saw OMG! there's food here!.
    I was so happy to be able to take a smaller bag from that day on.
    I love this.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

9. Default

We had a first yesterday with a site change. Logan has been pumping for a little over a year. I told him to get the supplies ready and swab the new spot for his site. Instead he comes in and says he put Emla on and was going to try to do the site himself.

He wouldn't let me be in the room but once he was finished he showed me his work. We use Inset 30s and the site was almost horizontal under his skin but I let it go. It worked beautifully until bedtime when it was obvious that it was trying to come out. Logan changed it again using numbing cream and making me leave the room. He was too nervous to have me watch. Checked it out and it looked great.

Today while his dad and I were 1.5 hours away from school he calls because his site came completely out and he had trace/small ketones. That's never happened before (site problem). So here we are too far away to help and no one else has ever done a site change but us so we tell him that he is going to have to do it himself without Emla. School nurse has never been shown how to do it and he wouldn't let her anyway. He started crying on the phone and I was feeling like the world's worst mom at that point because there is nothing I can do to help him.

We get off the phone and he calls back not five minutes later and says "I did it".

Got home and figured out that when he put the second site in last night he didn't scrub the Emla off. That's the only explanation I can come up with as to why the site fell off.

I am so proud of him!
    Kim
    Wife to Mike
    Mom to Logan 16, dx 8/6/06 T-Slim since February 2014
    Connor, 14, Non-D
    Jason, 7, Non-D
    Leah,, 4, Non-D
    Eric, 1, Non-D

OH all the firsts her dx was Thursday before Christmas vacation so we got to figure our how to guestimate pretty quickly at Christmas dinner- potluck style!
    I would have to say going back to school was the hardest first because I had been with her for 11 days.
    The most rewarding first was her giving herself her shot 3 weeks ago!!
    The first trip to the grocery store took me over 2 hours reading labels LOL.
    The first shock I got was how high McDonalds food was in carbs WOW We have not eaten there since because I realized how bad it was D or not D.
    She goes on her first field trip, 3 hours away, tomorrow and I know she will do amazing but it still worries me
    I have mentioned several times since dx how these firsts are harder than the first time I let her go when she was much younger.
    Kara- mom to Kerstyn- 10 Dx 12/17/2009 our strength, Sammy- 7 non-D our brains, Krissy- 4 non-D our energy!!

07/02/10 Pumping pink MM and loving it!!