advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Letting go - this is hard!

Default Letting go - this is hard!

Well, today was a first for me. Two of Connor's friends from school came to our door right after lunchtime to see if he could come play with them in the neighborhood and go for a walk. In the past, I've only let him go where I can see him or I'll walk with him and make sure I know exactly where he is at every moment. I made an impromptu decision to let him go with his friends. How could I tell them "I'm sorry. Connor has diabetes, and I'm afraid to let him go with you?". It would have made him embarrassed and different. So, I grabbed his diabetes bag from school (slings across his shoulder), and added an extra juice and my cell phone. I gave him quick instructions on how to use the phone.

I just called Connor, and he's having a great time with his friends. One of the boys is in his class and already knows a lot about diabetes from me coming to the classroom, testing in class, etc. He helped Connor to answer the phone, and I asked how Connor was doing, where they were, if they're having fun, etc. I also made sure to have Connor drink a small juice box after they walked up the hill and around the neighborhood. I'll keep checking on him periodically, but this is a BIG step for me to let him go play with his friends without my direct supervision.

I think this is good, but it feels so strange that he's hanging out with the boys in the neighborhood just like every other kid. Gosh, did I just let go? A tiny bit? Big scary leap for me.... I know that Connor is going to be so incredibly happy that I let him go play without me today. Just the boys. Sigh...growing up.
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 10, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 7 (not diabetic)
    Brian (husband) is 38, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

‎"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

Good for you mama! It'll get easier in time with that. As he gets older and better at handling things on his own it will be easier to let go. He is of course still your baby so that's our job I think to worry.
    Teresa, mom to 7
    2 with T1 and 1 with Celiac, 1 with hashimotos thyroiditis
    Austin - dx T1 - 7/97 age 18
    Steven - dx T1 - 10/07 age 14

Oh, I feel your pain! I dropped my DS off at the local park - 10 minutes from home- with friends for 3 hours last week We were in contact by cell (texting) frequently. He felt low twice, but he had everything he needed to correct. At the time, he felt lows at 88, since he was just dx'd a month ago, so I knew his lows weren't too dangerous, and I also knew he knew what to do to fix them. But it was HARD!!!! He did great, though, and was a wonderful 142 when I picked him upo!!

Congrats on this big step - you are a wonderful mom who is learning how to let her son spread his wings! Enjoy watching him fly!!
    Natalie, wife to Erik for 15 wonderful years!
    Mom to Alex, 15
    Andrew, 13 - Dx'd 3/15/10- MDI Novolog and Lantus
    Daniel, 10 and
    Keira, 2

The house next to mine is on sale and I told DH how cool it would be to be able to afford it so Ian could live next to us f.o.r.e.v.e.r.
    ====

Good job, Amy!!! That is a HUGE step!!
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

They just came back up to replenish Connor's diabetes kit. He had sucked down two apple juice boxes and eaten an entire roll of glucose tabs because he felt low while he was playing . His blood sugar was 98, so that's good. Connor knew how to help himself.

I sent them back out with another small backpack with strawberries, Bugles, and diet sodas for all of them. They had caught two baby salamanders out and about on their adventures, so Connor was having a fantastic time exploring nature and playing. I gave my camera to his friend to take with them to take pictures of their discoveries and a quick tutorial on using my phone. This is the same little boy who accompanies Connor to the nurse's office every day at school, so he totally "gets" testing blood sugars and diabetes. I love these kids!!!

They went back out again for more adventures. I hope it continues to go this well the rest of the afternoon. Thanks for all your encouragement!
    Amy

‎"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by StillMamamia View Post
    The house next to mine is on sale and I told DH how cool it would be to be able to afford it so Ian could live next to us f.o.r.e.v.e.r.
    ====

Good job, Amy!!! That is a HUGE step!!
    Yes, our house next door is vacant too. Connor already told me he is going to live there someday. Hmmm...I *think* that might change at some point, but it sounds great to me!
    Amy

Sean is 8 and I know that the time is coming soon that I will get a knock on the door and he will want to go off on his own. I sure hope I can let him go like you. I am really trying to let go a little more. I admire you for putting his needs for independence first. Good job!
    Amanda mom to Chris, Josh, Cathleen and Sean dx Jan 23 2009, pumping with Animas since May 20 2009 Wife to Fly fishing Nut David

Quote Originally Posted by NatBMomto4 View Post
    Oh, I feel your pain! I dropped my DS off at the local park - 10 minutes from home- with friends for 3 hours last week We were in contact by cell (texting) frequently. He felt low twice, but he had everything he needed to correct. At the time, he felt lows at 88, since he was just dx'd a month ago, so I knew his lows weren't too dangerous, and I also knew he knew what to do to fix them. But it was HARD!!!! He did great, though, and was a wonderful 142 when I picked him upo!!

Congrats on this big step - you are a wonderful mom who is learning how to let her son spread his wings! Enjoy watching him fly!!
    So, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Yes, it is really hard. Good job on letting your DS have fun with his friends at the park. Cool! Thanks for your kind words. It's a tough thing to do, but I think this is important for our kids to learn to become more independent and spread their wings (like you said).
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by tresmom View Post
    Good for you mama! It'll get easier in time with that. As he gets older and better at handling things on his own it will be easier to let go. He is of course still your baby so that's our job I think to worry.
    Thanks! Yes, he is my baby. I never thought that this day would come, but yet, here it is. Thank God for cell phones. It's so much easier when I can be in constant contact. I'm trying to resist calling every five minutes. Only 2 calls so far. I had him stop and drink a juice the first time and stop and test his blood sugar the second time. His friend read the number over the phone to me, and was telling Connor to wipe his finger with an alcohol wipe since his hands were all muddy. Ha! Smart kiddos. They're like sponges, absorbing so much from just being in class with him. Love it!
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Seansmommy View Post
    Sean is 8 and I know that the time is coming soon that I will get a knock on the door and he will want to go off on his own. I sure hope I can let him go like you. I am really trying to let go a little more. I admire you for putting his needs for independence first. Good job!
    Thank you, Amanda. Yes, that knock will come for Sean too. Just you wait!
    Amy